WRX vs SVT Focus
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs SVT Focus within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was going home friday night after playing pool with some freinds, wich were in the car at the time(4 ...

WRX vs SVT Focus

I was going home friday night after playing pool with some freinds, wich were in the car at the time(4 people total in my car). I was at the light when an SVT Focus pulls up next to me. He looks over a few times checking out my car and seeing if i was down but i didnt really want to run mainly because of 3 extra people in my car. We took of pretty quickly not at wot, well after taking off he floored itand so decided why not. I was stilll in first gear when we took off, he took a about a half car lead then i started pulling on him and passed him, put about a 1.5 to 2 cars on him before we stoped a little up the road. I was suprised i beat pretty easily since i had 4 people in my car. After it was over we gave freindly wave and parted different ways.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Those cars are slow. I think 0-60 is 7.5 or 8 seconds. Good run with the extra weight though.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

yeah i just went to the svt website and got some specs
    170 hp
    145 lb.ft.
    weight 2593 lbs

With the s/c on it they will move much better but stock they leave something to be desired.

It looked good though, red dropped with wheels like the ones on the rally car. It looked kinda like the Focus rally car.

Nice. All show - no go.

One of the mags was talkin' up the SVT but I think it may have been Consumer Digest, and they're not exactly sports car people lol...

-snowcat
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by snowcat
    One of the mags was talkin' up the SVT but I think it may have been Consumer Digest, and they're not exactly sports car people lol...

-snowcat

Yeah there right...03 cobra and Lighting and pretty lame...The 93 cobra was down right awful...why pay more for a car that just has nice rims...not to mention the 95 and 00 Cobra R models...yeah there right SVT doesnt know performance.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Originally posted by 302@12psi
    Yeah there right...03 cobra and Lighting and pretty lame...The 93 cobra was down right awful...why pay more for a car that just has nice rims...not to mention the 95 and 00 Cobra R models...yeah there right SVT doesnt know performance.
    I think he meant the Focus SVT, which, you've got to admit, is a bit of a dog.

For what the Focus SVT should have been, look at the April issue of Sport Compact Car. They took a Mustang Cobra engine and drivetrain and put it under a Focus. Really, really sick.
    ribonucleic acid freakout

Originally posted by AjIsDope
    Nice. All show - no go.
    Call me crazy, but it is possible to have fun driving a 15 second car.

Just because it doesn't have 250 hp doesn't mean it's all show no go. Suspension tuning can still make a car fast on a track.

I'm not flaming anyone in particular, but it seems like any car that doesn't out accelerate a WRX isn't worthy or is "All show and no go."

But, hey, that's just me.

I Support ClubWRX
    I think the focus hit the market about 2-3 years late. The market changed right when it hit. It could have very easily dealt with the GSR's, V-tecs, and DSM when it landed. The problem was it hit right when everyone started uping the power and it was left behind. If/when they reintroduce it i'm sure it will sport a Turbo'd 2.0 and be pretty spiffy. But it's current car is a joke...I just dont like when someone looks at the focus and downs the whole SVT group. Sure the Focus and the Contour probaly isnt the highlight of SVT...but they have made some AWESOME cars.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Originally posted by 302@12psi
    I think the focus hit the market about 2-3 years late. The market changed right when it hit. It could have very easily dealt with the GSR's, V-tecs, and DSM when it landed. The problem was it hit right when everyone started uping the power and it was left behind. If/when they reintroduce it i'm sure it will sport a Turbo'd 2.0 and be pretty spiffy. But it's current car is a joke...I just dont like when someone looks at the focus and downs the whole SVT group. Sure the Focus and the Contour probaly isnt the highlight of SVT...but they have made some AWESOME cars.
    I agree with you, however there IS more to a car than horsepower, whether anybody wants to admit it or not. Thats the point I was trying to make.

I know the Miata is an overused example, but hey...they sell for a reason. All 142 whopping horsepower and all.

Don't get me wrong, I love power as much as the next guy and most current cars could use more.

Personally, I'd rather give up a little power in favor of a sorted out chasis and suspension. I'm willing to bet that the Focus SVT is a fairly sorted out setup, even if it is down on power. The SVT folks DO know what they're doing in that dept. as well as the next guy.

Or go for a loaded 2.3L ZX5. 145HP with sunroof, 16" wheels, 6-disc CD with subwoofer for 13K.

-B

I'll vouch for at least one Focus SVT and it's driver... A guy at the autocross the last two years at Joliet Junior College has one that's lowered, on race rubber, air intake, and straight through exhaust. My WRX is only about .2 seconds quicker on a 52 second course (running on Kumho 712's, stock suspension and typical WRX Stage II mods). So despite not being as fast as me in a straight line, it goes through the cones very well, indeed...

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

I'm not sayin' the SVT is a "dog," in fact I looked at one when I was researching cars. However, for the price... You could get a Mazdaspeed Protege or an SRT-4. I think the comment about Ford being late to market is dead-on. The japanese simply beat them to the punch... But then, how quickly does Ford react anyway? I mean, Subaru came out with the WRX, then within just the next two years they came out with the STi in time to whup the Evo. (In the HP wars.) Ford can make great cars; I think the Probe was great for what it was, and obviously the new GT. The problem is they need to react faster... much faster...

Also, they are too stubborn. Mustang? I mean, the Imprezza is the hot ticket for Subaru right now but as we have discussed in another forum, they might be dropping that line in favor of something else. And the Imprezza hasn't even been out that long. If Ford is gonna keep the Mustang name at least they could do something with it. Imagine a Mustang Cobra set up like the Skyline with pseudo-awd. Their retro styling??? Why should I buy a new "retro" when I can get the real thing for cheaper? There are plenty of old mustangs in these parts...

-snowcat
    Last edited by snowcat; 03-08-2004 at 12:03 PM.
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast