Mazdaspeed Miata - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mazdaspeed Miata within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by STIwish Miata? weak rearend? what planet are you from? you know they are rwd right?...

Originally posted by STIwish
    Miata? weak rearend? what planet are you from?

you know they are rwd right?
    if its not fast it better be a show car

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

if i wasn't so tall i'd drive one. The car handles amazing. Like a blown up size gokart
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

I auto-xed with a guy who ran a blown miata pushing around 240hp at the wheels. A stock miata may not be an ideal 1/4mile car but on a track they are ideal. I almost bought my wife a new mr2 spyder and I found in the twisties, a mr2 was much more fun to drive then a wrx. I didn't buy the mr2(bought a motorcycle) and in the twisties thats even more fun. I think 178hp in the miata will make a very enjoyable car.

Originally posted by j-style
    it doesn't matter cuz it still a miata
    this guys was JOKING people, lighten up!

Originally posted by el~sharko
    this guys was JOKING people, lighten up!

thank you man i am glad some one understands that

The MazdaSpeed Miata is supposed to be running low 6's 0-60 and mid 15's in the 1/4 mile. The Miata isn't a teriffic drag car, big power Maita's (especially with V8's) have a real tough time keeping the wheel-hop down and the rear end in place. I've seen Turbo 1.8's (early were 1.6) with 15 lbs of boost run in the low 12's but that's about as much as the internals can take.

Early Miatas also have a weak pinion gear and the rear ends do go BANG once you get up to about 190 hp at the wheels. Since '94 they've had a stronger unit and there is an optional Torsen unit - those are very tough units and are good for upwards of 300hp.

Go browse through www.flyinmiata.com for some ideas of what's out there for Maitas. For some dyno results try http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/dyno.asp.

I found a deal on a Greddy set-up for my '92 so I've opted to go that route instead of an engine swap - time and money constraints made a turbo the only option right now. With everything running properly I'm expecting about 170 at the wheels. That will put me in the mid to high 14's (my '92 is about 600lbs lighter than the MazdaSpeed Maita).

I'll run my brother in his WRX once my Miata is running right and let you know how it stacks up. I expect the WRX to trounce me on the launch but I'll be happy if I keep pace with him once I've hooked-up. Of course I'm still going to stay away from STis and Forester XTs!

One of the magazines said that the Miata was a prototype and they couldn't push it very hard to get those times. It might dip into th 14s with a good launch.

Originally posted by j-style
    you know they are rwd right?
    <sarcasm>
    *looks in the garage* you mean that Miata right there is rwd? OMG!!! i had no clue
    </sarcasm>

The Miata rearend is in no way weak... the 1.6 wasnt meant to take 225+ hp, but will for just about any but the most abusive drivers, but a 1.8 diff will take a 5.0 V8 (can we say torque?)... Original concepts for the Miata had it powered by the same rotary that was in the RX7.. and the rest of the drivetrain was built around it, the engine changed but the drivetrain didnt.
    STIwish
    -------------------
    03 Subaru WRX Sedan WR Blue -
    RIP

Originally posted by artistgonebad
    The MazdaSpeed Miata is supposed to be running low 6's 0-60 and mid 15's in the 1/4 mile. The Miata isn't a teriffic drag car, big power Maita's (especially with V8's) have a real tough time keeping the wheel-hop down and the rear end in place. I've seen Turbo 1.8's (early were 1.6) with 15 lbs of boost run in the low 12's but that's about as much as the internals can take.

Early Miatas also have a weak pinion gear and the rear ends do go BANG once you get up to about 190 hp at the wheels. Since '94 they've had a stronger unit and there is an optional Torsen unit - those are very tough units and are good for upwards of 300hp.

Go browse through www.flyinmiata.com for some ideas of what's out there for Maitas. For some dyno results try http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/dyno.asp.

I found a deal on a Greddy set-up for my '92 so I've opted to go that route instead of an engine swap - time and money constraints made a turbo the only option right now. With everything running properly I'm expecting about 170 at the wheels. That will put me in the mid to high 14's (my '92 is about 600lbs lighter than the MazdaSpeed Maita).

I'll run my brother in his WRX once my Miata is running right and let you know how it stacks up. I expect the WRX to trounce me on the launch but I'll be happy if I keep pace with him once I've hooked-up. Of course I'm still going to stay away from STis and Forester XTs!
    Another Miata fan... very cool.. you got any pics of your ride? I've had a Miata in the house since i was 7 years old... infact it was the 3rd Miata to ever hit these shores, ordered straight from Japan...
    STIwish
    -------------------
    RIP

Another Miata fan... very cool.. you got any pics of your ride? I've had a Miata in the house since i was 7 years old... infact it was the 3rd Miata to ever hit these shores, ordered straight from Japan...
    thats hot

[QUOTE]Originally posted by STIwish
    [B]<sarcasm>
    *looks in the garage* you mean that Miata right there is rwd? OMG!!! i had no clue
    </sarcasm>

QUOTE] i thought u perhaps didn't know miny rx-7s haha i like em i like ever sicne i saw em in a drift vid like years ago i would of never thought about drifting in it i knew it was rwd but not like that haha

No photos of mine but it really isn't that interesting to look at right now. I'll post the Greddy installation on my cardomain.com site - hopefully in May but probably in June the way this year is going.

I'd definitely like to see images of yours - is it an '89?

Here are some vidoes of some guy working with a mid-90's Miata at 15lbs +/- of boost (and stock internals). Enjoy:

Http://www.fullboost.ca/marc/Video

Its technically a 90, but it was bought in September of 89 i think... ill post some pics when I get a chance to whip out the digi.. not much to look at minus bbs rims and a tip out the back that says Borla... but its in kick ass condition.. hasnt even hit 30k miles.
    STIwish
    -------------------
    RIP

here's my 93 LE

93 Miata LE, #100/1500 Black

"I wrote a hit play!"

uke
    There's a guy at work who has a Miata in the parking lot that has a liscence plate that says "15PSI". If that's true, then....dang!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.