WRX vs @SS in Lincoln LS

This is a discussion on WRX vs @SS in Lincoln LS within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I am just driving myself and my GF to get groceries when I line up with a Lincoln LS ...

WRX vs @SS in Lincoln LS

So I am just driving myself and my GF to get groceries when I line up with a Lincoln LS with tints next to me. There are two "go strait" lanes that merge and I figure I'll just pass the Lincoln and merge and be on my merry way. Well Much to my surprise, the Lincoln guy steps on it, so after shifting through 1st, I am a bit ahead against this Lincoln, and its time to merge. Instead of acknowledging that he is behind me (roughly) and I am merging in front of him, and that he should slow down, this @ssmonkey speeds up and nearly wipes himself out in the oncoming traffic lane to get around me. He then proceeds to ride my tail and look for any way to get around me. All this because I managed to get in front of him. It definitely gave myself and my GF a good scare because we thought he was going to crash into us. I almost even called the cops on the guy. Some people just can't handle losing, I suppose. I only wish I knew he was going to gun it so I could have launched the car and wouldn't have had to deal with it all. It was some old guy too, probably in a rush to change his diapers.

chris
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

No matter how poor his driving, if you were on his right you should have acknowledged that you had not completely passed him and therefore you should have hit the brakes and got behind.

Not being an ass - just stating what the law says.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

It was a merge to the right though, so instead of trying to pass me he really should have slowed down otherwise he would have kept driving in the oncoming lane. I stayed in my lane. The point wasn't who did what, it was who started driving like a nut case after the fact and who rode my tail and tried to swerve around me after the merge. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets into an accident before too long with a driving attitude like that.

chris
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

Smile

Maybe he was trying to get in front for a better look at your big ole' Hella driving lights.

One qualm that I have about my WRX is that if someone gets the jump on me and I'm not expecting it, it can take awhile for boost to come on to the point where I can reel them back in. It makes those type of merge situations a little closer than necessary. I typically prepare myself to gun it if the other guy even thinks about it, though. Although, backing off or getting a torquey STi is always an option, too.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Originally posted by fengshui
    It was a merge to the right though, so instead of trying to pass me he really should have slowed down otherwise he would have kept driving in the oncoming lane. I stayed in my lane. The point wasn't who did what, it was who started driving like a nut case after the fact and who rode my tail and tried to swerve around me after the merge. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets into an accident before too long with a driving attitude like that.

chris
    Not flaming, as I've been guilty of the same thing, but the short lane has to merge. You've almost got to kind of treat it like a yield unless you're so far ahead it doesn't matter.

He didn't deal with it well, but it *sounds* like you tried to jump his lane.

Like I said. Done it myself, so I can't judge.