Celica GT?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Celica GT? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Going to work this morning. I saw a Silver Celica GT in front of me. He had an AEM license ...

Celica GT?

Going to work this morning. I saw a Silver Celica GT in front of me. He had an AEM license plate holder so I figured he had some kind of mods. I could hear that his Celica was louder than stock when he passed me (I was waiting to merge into traffic). We come to a stop light to make a right hand turn (He's the first car to turn with me right behind him). He accelerates pretty hard into the inside lane of a three lane road. I accelerated pretty hard also into the right-most lane. I wasn't paying attention and I hit the REV limiter in 1st (I was looking at his car to see if he was serious or not), so I lost a whole bunch of momentum - so I start pushing hard in 2nd (he's about 2 car lentghs by now) and I start gaining on him really fast. Switch to 3rd and I'm about even now. He's got a Volkswagen 1.8T Jetta in front of him so he slowed down. I slowed down a bit, but then started gunning it again once I saw that the Jetta got out of his way. He's about 1-2 car lengths behind now. He had to turn off by making a left turn so that was that. Anyways, not a pure race since we were never even to begin with and I had to choke and hit the rev limiter. So the thing is, I know he most likely had an intake and maybe some other mods, but can a GT somewhat keep up with us? I have an uppipe, full turbo back exhaust, and CAI also. Eventhough I messed up in the beginning and admit that I'm not experienced in racing like this, can GT with mods capable of somewhat keeping up with me? It was a GT, not a GT-S or is it possible that he debadged the "S" off the GT-S emblem? I couldn't get a clean look at his rims or I would've known that way. Pardon my inexperience in racing - don't do it that often and I've owned a Nissan PU and Nissan Xterra prior to owning a REX. I'm embarassed to a degree eventhough I did catch up really fast and maintained a lead, but I didn't pull on him easily as I would've thought. I really hope it was a GT-S with a debadged "S"
    Last edited by Hank; 06-20-2002 at 02:29 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    No.....

str
    If you would have both raced from the line you would have beat him by at least a few car lengths.

tan - no it wasn't a GT?

str - I would've beat him (I'm confident) if I didn't mess up the launch and not hit the rev limiter
    Last edited by Hank; 06-20-2002 at 08:10 AM.

I think by starting with a couple of car lengths of deficit and able to make up that distance by the top of second, you did pretty well. Also, your advantage of AWD is pretty much null when the race is from a roll so don't put yourself down too much for not pulling as hard.

Thanks opusx - you're so wise

tan
    Originally posted by Hank
    tan - no it wasn't a GT?

str - I would've beat him (I'm confident) if I didn't mess up the launch and not hit the rev limiter
    GT or GT-S, you should still win.

Time to get some driving experience/skills under my belt - I should've embarrassed this dude.

GT with a turbo kit, perhaps?

Hey, it could happen.

Seriously, a Celica GT is joke.

-Jim

Yep a lot of GT's have turbo kits

hmmm...there's always a possibility that he had a turbo. I'd like to try again though

Even if he debadged a GT-S, the GT-S badge is red and a GT's badge badge is silver. Had to be a GT, unless he rice-painted it silver.
    2002 Platinum Silver Rex

True dat - it was a GT then because it was silver badging. That would be funny if he painted the letters in silver just to fake people out. Would've faked me out...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.