how does the wrx allwheel drive stack up?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on how does the wrx allwheel drive stack up? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have driven several different wrx's and with good tires I think the allwheel drive system is very good. just ...

how does the wrx allwheel drive stack up?

I have driven several different wrx's and with good tires I think the allwheel drive system is very good.

just out of curiosity, how does it stack upto other cars allwheel drive.

bmw's 3 series allwheel drive (355xi,330xi, etc..)
    mistubishi eclipse, eagle talon, allwheel drive.

like i said, i have a good idea of how the wrx drives in snow, rain, traction around turns, but how does it stack up against other allwheel drive cars?

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Not sure. This is my first awd car

Re: how does the wrx allwheel drive stack up?

Originally posted by DTR maxima

bmw's 3 series allwheel drive (355xi,330xi, etc..)
    I'd buy a beamer over a WRX anyday. Never raced one tho

mistubishi eclipse, eagle talon, allwheel drive.
    That all depends. 1G and 2G car can be made fast. Stock for stock the WRX is faster than the GSX, but scooby mods are a lot more than mods for a 2g or 1g.

this is my 3rd awd.... 1st was a awd 1g talon... pretty stable and damn quick... my 2nd is the WRX.. its my wifes car and she loves itsticks to the ground but the stock tires are garbage... my car the 3rd is the EVO... with the advans on this car and the handling... it feels way different from the WRX....
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

If I'm reading your question right, you're interested in how the Wrx's awd system compares, mechanically, to other manufacturer's?

I used to have an A4, with a mechanical torsen diff, that was thought to be a superior system than the WRX's since it didn't need to wait for the same degree of wheelspin to occur before redistributing power to the other wheels. Or something like that.

I believe the Viscous Coupling system, that the WRX uses, requires wheelspin to spin off some sort of grease allowing two parts to stick together because of friction, allowing a transfer of torque. That takes more time than the Torsen's worm gears.

Ultimately, they both have pro's and cons, since the torsen is heavier and most costly, the Viscous unit in the WRX is a fair bit lighter.

I'm going from something I've read a long time ago, so I may have made a mistake.

I know Haldex units, in transverse audi's, VW's and some SAABs is becoming very popular now too. I'll see if I can find the link that I read a few years ago. It was very informative.

I couldn't really find the article I was looking for. Found the link, but it looked like the page was gone.

Found this though. Might be interesting.

Choosing An All-Wheel Drive System

Mechanical: These systems, typified by the Torsen, have no electrical intervention, fluid shearing or pumps. Torque is differentiated through the frictional forces developed by the internal gearing.

Viscous couplings: When two axles rotate at different speeds, such as when a wheel loses traction and spins, the viscous coupling locks up through the shearing action of a viscous fluid contained within. This system serves as the differential lock on manual transmission Subarus.

Pump Type: As with the viscous coupling, a difference in axle rotational speeds provides "pumping" action, but pressure generated is used to engage a clutch. This system is typified by McLaren's Gerotor.

Electronic/Hydraulic: Typified by the Haldex differential, these systems are electronically controlled, but use hydraulic pressure to engage a clutch mechanism.

Electronic: Differential clutches are activated by electromagnetic force. No fluid is sheared and operation is fully controlled by an ECU. Typified by the Borg-Warner system.

I had an A4 2.8 quattro before the WRX. It's AWD system is better in terms of traction and response time. It used a Torsen center differential to distribute power front and rear, and used electronics to distribute power side to side, similar to a limited slip, but faster.

With that said, the WRX is more fun in the snow. I'm able to do controlled drifts easily in the WRX, while the A4 liked to understeer. However, wheel slip never happened with the Audi, it would just hooks up and goes (unless in deep snow with summer tires ).

The manual WRX system is lighter, and simpler, but it's nearly as effective. Now an auto WRX AWD system is different. I'd assume it's more similar to Haldex systems (it does have 60/40 rear bias though).

Haldex systems are typically front wheel biased. However, in the Volvo S60R, I beleive it's rear wheel biased.
    '03 WRX
    '03 SV650

thats for the info guys.

I am not really interested in the racing/quickness aspect, i know all of that.

but i was wonder how the wrx allwheel drive (traction in snow, rain, hard turns, etc) stacks up to other allwheel drive cars like the (3 series bmw awd, eclipse gsx, talon TSI, audi quattro a4, and s4, etc...)

I havnt driven any of the above car except the wrx and TSI/GSX, but the dsm's were on dry days.

thanks again

For some reason the system in my Celica seems to handle bad weather conditions and slippage better than the system in my Forester, but that may just be my perception, since both systems are viscous-type, and the Celica is modified.
    2000 Forester - 2003 Cadillac CTS - 1988 Toyota Celica AllTrac - 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T - 1968 Cadillac Eldorado

Originally posted by Necros
    For some reason the system in my Celica seems to handle bad weather conditions and slippage better than the system in my Forester, but that may just be my perception, since both systems are viscous-type, and the Celica is modified.
    Could be the tires.
    '03 WRX
    '03 SV650

What's the torque split on the 1st gen A4s? One thing I like about the soobie manual is that it is 50/50 by default

Originally posted by Beanboy
    What's the torque split on the 1st gen A4s? One thing I like about the soobie manual is that it is 50/50 by default
    The 1st Gen A4's were 50/50 default.

I Support ClubWRX
    Differences in torque split setups will be a lot more difficult to tell if there is ample traction, as will differences in differentials. The advantages of having a mechanical diff vs. a viscous vs. some sort of chip controlled diff have been discussed before, so I won't bother here.

What I do want to point out is the quality of the driveline components themselves. As 4wd (or awd or whatever makers want to call it for marketing reasons etc.) road cars became more common and price became an issue, certain parts changed... To see what I mean, find an Audi Quattro from the 80s. NOT an 80 Quattro, not an A4 Quattro, but a Quattro -- the 5 cylinder turbo 2.2L 3 door Group B style cars. Look underneath, and compare things like the thickness of the rear halfshafts to something more recent, like a Mitsubishi or even ours. You'll see what I mean.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

thats for the info guys.

I am not really interested in the racing/quickness aspect, i know all of that.

but i was wonder how the wrx allwheel drive (traction in snow, rain, hard turns, etc) stacks up to other allwheel drive cars like the (3 series bmw awd, eclipse gsx, talon TSI, audi quattro a4, and s4, etc...)
    "stacks up" is a vague attribute. If you put all of them on the floor and measured their height, or weight, I'm sure their respective differences would be very obvious. What specifically do you want to know? I could make an arguement for any one of them being the best depending on what you consider is important.
    05 F-150 Supercrew
    05 Ski Centurion T5
    06 Trek 4300D -Sport Contact Equipped!

Whats the best for performance driving? Which one is better for road racing or which one offers better handling?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast