Surprising run w/ 350Z on hwy
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Surprising run w/ 350Z on hwy within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This actually happened the weekend before last, but I'm still excited about it. To preface the story, my '02 has ...

Smile Surprising run w/ 350Z on hwy

This actually happened the weekend before last, but I'm still excited about it. To preface the story, my '02 has an Invidia dp and a standard Borla catback for mods (unless you count a Kartboy SS).

I was getting on the interstate behind a new (very nice) silver 350Z. It had the larger factory wheels, so I'm not sure if it was the Track package or what...very sweet car though. We were behind a line of cars on the onramp to the interstate, but I just had a feeling he was going to hit it as soon as he had a chance. Sure enough, at the first chance, I saw the tell-tale black puff from the pipes and he was off. Since I was expecting it, I hit it at nearly the same time (had it in third). I redlined 3rd and quickly got 'er in 4th and the Z could not pull. I couldn't gain any ground, but he couldn't pull away either. He started about 1 1/2 - 2 carlengths ahead at 40-45 mph when we started, and that's exactly where he was at when I let off about 105-110. My wife, who had been reading a book, happened to look up and noticed the speedo north of the triple-digit mark and freaked out at that point (aka - point of rapid decelleration).

The guy had a passenger with him too and he took the next exit. When we went by him, he didn't look over, but threw up a hand to acknowledge a good run. I figure he didn't want to look b/c he probably didn't expect the little blue wagon to stay with him. I was completely surprised by the result. From just about everything I've read, I was under the impression that a 350Z could walk a WRX fairly easily on the top end. I just wanted to see how bad I'd get beat...and ended up in a dead heat. Now I really can't wait for the Cobb Accessport w/ stage 2 program...and new Slipstream 16's to shave some more weight off soon.

Cheers,

Scrat
    "Jesus saves, Gretzky scores"

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the
    morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. " ~Frank Sinatra

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

good run, their fast on the top end. maybe i raced a faster one or this guy was slow because when i ran one i was like you but with boost control, 13.5 in the 1/4 an one can still pull on me from 90 on up. i test drove one an its a dog below 80, but its almost impossible for anyhting to be slower than an impreza's top end

Ike
    It could have been an auto, in which case the story would make more sense... I'm not calling BS by any means, but no way a properly driven 350Z shouldn't have walked away from you, which I'm sure you know

i dunno i don't really like the z's now they are pigs they arne;t that fast for a rwd sports car
    if its not fast it better be a show car

the top end on z's though is much better than that of a wrx.

sounds fun, and while i don't encourage street racing, good goin.

how does your wife not realize you're redlining?

nice race

I sure would like to race a 350z. I was behind one on the way home one day but he wouldn't race.

NW Arkansas huh.....I am from there. Little town called Clinton. Where are you at?

Ike: Yes, it definitely occurred to me that it may have been an auto. Any idea how much slower the autos are than the manuals? I was completely shocked (read: elated) by the outcome. Either his car was slower than it should have been, or my 'Rex is packing a few more ponies than normal.

emo: I think you can attribute it to 2 things. My car is extremely loud and she's pretty used to it (tone deaf?) by now...I think it may actually be relatively quieter at WOT than at other spots in the range of normal or spirited driving. 2 - she was really into that book...dunno what to say. I think it was when I said "a-ha! you can run but you can't hide!"...that pretty much blew my cover. It was a smooth road and she didn't realize exactly how fast we were going until then...hell, I didn't either till she said something and I looked.

artist: Nice to see another AR Suby owner here! I'm way up in Bella Vista...a stone's throw from the MO border. I think I see more and more Rexes here all the time. It was a slow start, but now there's a few I see on a regular basis....even a couple of STi's hanging around *covet*

Take care y'all....cheers!

Scrat
    "Jesus saves, Gretzky scores"

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the
    morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. " ~Frank Sinatra

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.