Cat & Mouse with an R32 - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 48

This is a discussion on Cat & Mouse with an R32 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; NOTICE HOW WHEN I FOUND OUT I MADE THE MISTAKE, I APOLOGIZED AND CORRECTED MYSELF. ADMITTING MY MISTAKE!!!!!! nether or ...

  1. #31
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    NOTICE HOW WHEN I FOUND OUT I MADE THE MISTAKE, I APOLOGIZED AND CORRECTED MYSELF. ADMITTING MY MISTAKE!!!!!!

    nether or which you 2 have done. I am not sure that burrito has done this, but cake pan certainly has. just wanted to state this. please dont continue this argument in this thread. if you have something to say, i would be more than happy to discuss it over some pm's.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Registered User TurnWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,828
    I "think" a wrx will be able to hang with an R32 from a dig and a roll looking at the specs. The wrx will need a better driver though. The R32 is 240 hp and 236 lb/ft torque. But it also weighs 3409 lbs w/o driver. The wrx weighs in at around 324 lbs less w/o driver as well.

    Now put that R32 on a dyno dynamics dyno and the wheel horsepower output should be around 171. The wrx makes around 162. With a catback the wrx should be able to hang....


    The srt-4 would take the r32 easily from a roll.
    Last edited by TurnWRX; 03-04-2004 at 01:46 AM.

  4. #33
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    Originally posted by TurnWRX
    I "think" a wrx will be able to hang with an R32 from a dig and a roll looking at the specs. The wrx will need a better driver though. The R32 is 240 hp and 236 lb/ft torque. But it also weighs 3409 lbs w/o driver. The wrx weighs in at around 324 lbs less w/o driver as well.

    Now put that R32 on a dyno dynamics dyno and the wheel horsepower output should be around 171. The wrx makes around 162. With a catback the wrx should be able to hang....


    The srt-4 would take the r32 easily from a roll.
    3409!! wow, i was expecting 3100 or something. well i guess that explains the slowness

  5. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    153
    The R32 is a pretty sweet ride overall. I think the price is too high, I would love to see the package offered in the $26k range with a 1.8t.

    I am also interested to see and instrumented test by a US car magazine. I would love to see a shoot out between the STI, EVO, R32, 350Z, GTO, etc. There are a lot of great (and varied) performance choices in the $30k range.

    As far as rattles go, the MkIV VW's rattle like a can of peanuts. Both of my subbies have been much better put together on the inside. I'll take plain and rattle-free over pretty and rattling any day.

    There is a big and important difference between design (style) and quality of build. Kind of the old "appearances vs. reality" theme we all learned about when studying Hamlet.

    When all is said and done this car will be a keeper and a sought after ride for many years to come. Since the MkV is coming soon there will only be a few thousand (5K this year I think) in the states. This car will end up a cult classic like the 84 GTI, and the 2.0 16V 1990-1992 GTI/GLI.
    Run Forest, Run
    04 Java Black 5Mt XT

  6. #35
    J-H
    J-H is offline
    Registered User J-H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    807
    Originally posted by VA_WRX
    This car will end up a cult classic like the 84 GTI, and the 2.0 16V 1990-1992 GTI/GLI.

    Oooh....I remember the 2.0 16V cars. They were awesome...Although in Brazil they came a bit later (maybe 1998 or so). It was my dream car....

    I can't imagine somebody driving an R32 down there nowadays. That is one lucky guy...girls just absolutely dig imported cars...

    JH

  7. #36
    Registered User CKxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,522
    Originally posted by TurnWRX
    I "think" a wrx will be able to hang with an R32 from a dig and a roll looking at the specs. The wrx will need a better driver though. The R32 is 240 hp and 236 lb/ft torque. But it also weighs 3409 lbs w/o driver. The wrx weighs in at around 324 lbs less w/o driver as well.
    For this race Ill drive the WRX, and we''ll get a big guy for the GTi At 132Lbs, im like a jockey for cars.
    I created my avatar.

  8. #37
    Registered User WRXless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Kelowna
    Posts
    231
    Originally posted by VA_WRX
    As far as rattles go, the MkIV VW's rattle like a can of peanuts. Both of my subbies have been much better put together on the inside. I'll take plain and rattle-free over pretty and rattling any day.
    What MkIV were you riding in? Mine is totally rattle free after 2 years of hard driving. My rear door-lock-knobbies began rattling a little bit, so I took it into the dealership and they fixed it under warranty.
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

    Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3

  9. #38
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    Originally posted by WRXless
    What MkIV were you riding in? Mine is totally rattle free after 2 years of hard driving. My rear door-lock-knobbies began rattling a little bit, so I took it into the dealership and they fixed it under warranty.
    yeah, not only do the VW have a pretty nice "looking" interior, but the over all finish and refinement is also good. I cant necessarily say that about the r32, but from when i sat in it, its seemed pretty well built.

  10. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NorthernDE/PA border
    Posts
    584
    Originally posted by CKxx
    For this race Ill drive the WRX, and we''ll get a big guy for the GTi At 132Lbs, im like a jockey for cars.
    still stock

  11. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    479
    true i almost bought a Vdub... my girlfriend likes the "blue lights" on the interior a LOT better than the interior lights on my 323

  12. #41
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    Originally posted by burrito007
    true i almost bought a Vdub... my girlfriend likes the "blue lights" on the interior a LOT better than the interior lights on my 323
    what kind were you looking at? My g/f likes them too.. she wants a jetta, and wants me to get a GTI. but we both want AWD, so vw needs to get on the ball with making an AWD 1.8 T and price it reasonably.

  13. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    238
    to clear everything up, 13.9 1/4mile and 180WHP?

  14. #43
    Registered User TurnWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,828
    Originally posted by Mr_Ginzo
    to clear everything up, 13.9 1/4mile and 180WHP?

    Depending on the dynamometer, the R32 can range anywhere from 170 whp to 235 whp.

    Usually the lower reading tends to be more accurate of actual whp, or at least in my opinion, it's not overstated as the higher numbers.

  15. #44
    Registered User TurnWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,828
    Originally posted by DTR maxima
    what kind were you looking at? My g/f likes them too.. she wants a jetta, and wants me to get a GTI. but we both want AWD, so vw needs to get on the ball with making an AWD 1.8 T and price it reasonably.

    you guys can always change the interior lighting to whatever color you want Or in your case, whatever your gf wants

  16. #45
    Registered User renichms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    1,777
    Originally posted by Mr_Ginzo
    to clear everything up, 13.9 1/4mile and 180WHP?
    Well, I've just seen a confirmed case of one doing a 13.9, totally stock, so whether it makes 180 whp or not (or more), it can do it with a good driver.

    RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •