wrx or 2.5 ts vs. gtp - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on wrx or 2.5 ts vs. gtp within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by DTR maxima i dont own a wrx, but my had a GTP and the top end was ...

uke
    Originally posted by DTR maxima
    i dont own a wrx, but my had a GTP and the top end was absolutely horrible after 50mph.

compared to my maxima and my GSR, that car had nothing after 50mph, but if you hooked up well the first 0-50 went by real quick

I am not arguing with you, but the wrx top end much be worse than I though. i have driven a few but never really fast up top, so i dont know that well. but the GTP was horrible, especially for a s/c 3.8L v-6
    True, but add headers and a smaller S/C pulley (maybe a 3.25"), and it is significantly improved. My top end has improved significantly since adding exhaust and new PCM, w/o headers. But this applies to modded cars, and not stock, so your argument does still stand. And even then, my speed just barely cre-e-e-eps past 100 (don't ask me how I know this )

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by uke
    True, but add headers and a smaller S/C pulley (maybe a 3.25"), and it is significantly improved. My top end has improved significantly since adding exhaust and new PCM, w/o headers. But this applies to modded cars, and not stock, so your argument does still stand. And even then, my speed just barely cre-e-e-eps past 100 (don't ask me how I know this )
    o yeah, i am sure that some mods open it up pretty good. that is a good engine they have, its just not engineered to breath very well. my friends GTP had significant top end increase after a pulley and exhaust

uke
    its just not engineered to breath very well.
    More like, it breathes like a dying emphezema patient who's smoking a cigarette!

The exhaust is REALLY restrictive, including a stupid "u-bend" to protect the o2 sensor (what genius thought that up????) The air intake isn't that good, either (stock, that is).
    Last edited by uke; 03-03-2004 at 01:37 PM.

Originally posted by uke
    More like, it breaths like a dying emphezema patient who's smoking a cigarette!

The exhaust is REALLY restrictive, including a stupid "u-bend" to protect the o2 sensor (what genius though that up????) The air intake isn't that good, either (stock, that is).
    yeah, he says hes replacing the intake, and u-bend pipe. after that he plans to run high 13's consistantly. he said he is going to try and go for a 2'' pulley. do they even come that small?

uke
    yeah, he says hes replacing the intake, and u-bend pipe. after that he plans to run high 13's consistantly. he said he is going to try and go for a 2'' pulley. do they even come that small?
    Whoa, the smallest pulley I know of is 2.6", and that is for VERY VERY highly modded cars. For just an intake and exhaust, he better go with a 3.4" or bigger, or else the engine will have to pull timing to prevent knock (called "knock retard") to the point that he'd actually get more power with the larger pulley. For anything smaller than 3.4, headers (or more advanced mods) are a MUST.

Originally posted by uke
    Whoa, the smallest pulley I know of is 2.6", and that is for VERY VERY highly modded cars. For just an intake and exhaust, he better go with a 3.4" or bigger, or else the engine will have to pull timing to prevent knock (called "knock retard") to the point that he'd actually get more power with the larger pulley. For anything smaller than 3.4, headers (or more advanced mods) are a MUST.
    yeah, i figured he would need a 3.4

I asked him "2 inch, are you sure man"
    yeah, it will put my car in 13's with other bolt on's
    me: "whatever"

for the record he is not the smartest kid ever, AT ALL. thats why i asked, lol.

than again, according to him, his car was running mid to low 14's stock until i proved him wrong several times. I know there are factory freaks doing that, but he thought freaks were doing 13's.

uke
    Also, a new intake and replacing ubend with 3.4" will get him into the low 14's, but I doubt he'll be in the 13's. I had that plus 2.5" exhaust from the ubend back and the best I got was 14.2. Although now, since I have a custom PCM, colder thermostat, colder spark plugs, and 3" downpipe since then, I expect to finally be in the 13's.

shhhh....the GTP guys will hear you.
    Creeping up on creeping for a decade.
    Bugeye Mafia V2 #322

uke
    Originally posted by the mike
    shhhh....the GTP guys will hear you.
    ahem...I OWN a GTP. I'm just stating realistic facts about it.

Originally posted by uke
    ahem...I OWN a GTP. I'm just stating realistic facts about it.
    I admire your ability to not exagerate your cars ability like many people do on foreign forums.

I wasn't trying to start trash, but people have a tendency to link to "brandforum.com" and bash each others cars. I remember a post on one of the Grand Prix sites totally bashing WRX's. Of course it was a post about how a WRX smoked a GTP.
    That's all I was getting at. No disrespect to any others.
    Bugeye Mafia V2 #322

uke
    Originally posted by the mike
    I wasn't trying to start trash, but people have a tendency to link to "brandforum.com" and bash each others cars. I remember a post on one of the Grand Prix sites totally bashing WRX's. Of course it was a post about how a WRX smoked a GTP.
    That's all I was getting at. No disrespect to any others.
    No offense taken. The main reason I'm even on this site was because I was origiinally set on getting a WRX, but they were too expensive. Now I'm here because...um....well, I don't really know. Just keep in mind that there are a lot of modded GTP's out there that can smoke WRX's , as well as vice versa. I think people just get a little too wrapped up in their brand, sometimes (on both sides). I was just correcting DTR maxima's friend who thought he would run 13's, when I only got low 14's with the same stuff.

Friends?

Friends.

Bugeye Mafia V2 #322

I admire your ability to not exagerate your cars ability like many people do on foreign forums.

The GTP will beat any WRX / Maxima Ever!

Now on to the real world.

You should'nt have any problems beating the stock GTP with the stock WRX. Crazy things have happened before but if you launch well you won't lose.

With the few mods that your friend may get, it will be a lot closer.

I have a 3.4 pulley, Chip (ECU upgrade) and a CAI. My first time at the track was 14 flat. But as everyone mentions the car doesn't pull nearly as well after 60mph. That same day a friend of mine hit a 13.85 with just a 3.4 pulley and CAI.

Good luck and buy the WRX. Or wait for the new Legacy if you like bigger cars like me!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12