Street Racing a VR4
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Street Racing a VR4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was out this past Saturday with some friends... we hit the local illegal-drag spots and a street-racing buddie (someone ...

Street Racing.... My WRX vs "Lightly Modded" 3000GT VR-4

I was out this past Saturday with some friends... we hit the local illegal-drag spots and a street-racing buddie (someone you only hang out with when you are doing this) named Joe came up to me and asked me if I was supposed to race a 3000GT....a VR-4...

I knew nothing of it... heck I wasn't even there to race, just spectate... turns out though, sure enough a '99 Black 3000GT VR-4 showed up (w/ an Altered Atmosphere window banner).... and was looking for me... interesting... I did not know my car was this well known.... anyway....

He popped the hood upon request and the only mods that I could see were a BOV and an intake. He also had a full turbo back dual exhaust. Didn't look to be too hard of a victory... but the window banner through... I have heard they wont give you one unless they do work on your car.... maybe they put the exhaust on.... who knew?

Anyway... I decided to race him... he said that was all he had done and I wanted to believe him. At first it was to be for fun... then for $50... then for $100... and eventually held at $140... soo ok onto the race:

We went to our deserted highway spot.... 4 lanes of a main highway coming out of a park n ride. NO traffic at 3am... EVER.

We stage at what is supposed to be the quarter mile starting point, which ends under 2 green highway signs hung over the road... (I know its alot longer though... it needs to be measured off...)

The flagger points at me... then the 3000GT.... hands go up and at the first twitch of downward motion from his finger tips... we are off!!

I leap frogged him at least 2 cars just on the start.... from there I pulled all through 1st, 2nd and 3rd... he finally locked me in in 4th (like I said, not a true 1/4 mile) and he began creeping up on me... damn gearing!! anyway... it wasn't enough for him though.... I was victorious for what I was told was about 3 cars!!

It was a good race... we pulled over and waited for the spectators to catch up to us. He said he bogged off the line... and actually I thought I did too, I guess he bogged more though... still, I pulled him for a good while so I dont think it would have mattered. I could tell he honestly thought he was gonna smoke me... the way he acted, like he didn't think he was gonna lose. Oh well... he was cool though.

He told me that he runs LOW 13s in the car and I also heard through the grapevine that he was also running twin 18g turbos... but was all stock beyond that, other than the intake, exhaust and BOV.

I was running stage 0 with stock everything else, other than the modified rear exhaust section.... ie- no muffler.

Well thats my story... thanks for listening....

def
    Last edited by dug-e-fresh; 06-18-2002 at 01:20 PM.
    '02 WRX - 10.780 @ 136.23
    '07 TBSS - 13.466 @ 103.23
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice kill! Was Vin there? J/K!!! does sound somewhat F&F. I thought he was going to have some sneaky pete's or something.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

yeah me too...!!!

def

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    awesome job bursting that 3000GTs ego bubble!

i'm still amazed how you manage to run 13 flat w/ ONLY stage zero

please drive down to houston and make my car like yours!!!!
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

you know actually my car didn't feel as strong as normal that night... but today shes back to normal!! I can tell by the Gtech... I watch for max Gs on the peak hold function...

Just stomping on the gas while in gear and doing pulls from say 3k to 5k I get the following values when running strong:

1st- 0.81
    2nd- 0.53
    3rd- 0.36

That night I was down on power a little... I was pulling:

1st- 0.75
    2nd- 0.49
    3rd- 0.31

I won anyway though....... BTW- his girl was there too (not in the car when we raced)... she was hot!!! Had this been F&F, I should have won her!!

def

Originally posted by dug-e-fresh

I won anyway though....... BTW- his girl was there too (not in the car when we raced)... she was hot!!! Had this been F&F, I should have won her!!

def
    LOL! Great story.

You punked him in front of his girl, that's classic!
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

it was fun too... He drove about 45 minutes to meet up with me... long ride home I guess...

def

Sweet race! AA, does have some fast VR4's and you still took it him.
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

Wow,

That is impressive, Altered Atmosphere is a phenomenal tuning company and most of their cars are pretty mean. It's wonderful that our little sedans with $995 put into them can stomp on Mitsubishi's answer to the Supra.

Great race, and definitely a funny story, you DID deserve his girl as your prize

Keep up the good work!

Michael-

The Mitsu is just too heavy!! They almost weigh 2 tons!! Supposedly the guy I raced use to have an 11 second 3000GT... a 1995, I then heard it was actually one of AA's owners cars. Have you seen that purple one? Its the badass one.... 11.2 in the 1/4.

Actually my friends with the Supras use to get their tuning done down there at AA.... they have since defected to MSP Performance... Paul from Bullish Racing (fastest Supras around... other than Powerhouse) started the business... he drives a Supra that went 9.2 off the bottle... on the bottle they expect 8s!!!

def

Originally posted by dug-e-fresh
    The Mitsu is just too heavy!! They almost weigh 2 tons!! Supposedly the guy I raced use to have an 11 second 3000GT... a 1995, I then heard it was actually one of AA's owners cars. Have you seen that purple one? Its the badass one.... 11.2 in the 1/4.
    300GT VR4s weigh in the neighborhood of 3800 lbs. That means they are about 700 lb. heavier than the WRX. It takes A LOT of HP to make up for 700 lbs!!!!!

-Jim

dug e

where is your running at still we cant find any good spots any more

please email me a location so we can give it a try again

my email is n2trble111@hotmail.com

thanks

The vr-4's are AWD also, i cant believe you won even if he is "slightly" modded. Those things hall azz.
    '00 2.5RS

Good story, Im a little skeptical though, stage 0 at 13sec 1/4 mile. Hmm..maybe I will go with a stage 0 heh. But anyways, like I always say, its all about the driver .
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.