STI vs GTI
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on STI vs GTI within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone, im pretty new on the site, i have a few posts, and i love the wrx's and sti's. ...

STI vs GTI

Hey everyone, im pretty new on the site, i have a few posts, and i love the wrx's and sti's. I have a few questions for u guys tho.

Last night i raced an STI and since we put together my custom turbo kit at the shop i havent really messed with any STI's untill now. I raced a kid who claimed he was stock (nothing visually noticable, and the exhaust was not any louder then i expected) and we raced from a roll: 40mph-100mph, i put about 1 car on him by the top 3rd before he hit the brakes. My question is what do you think he had done to the car? ive looked around on various websited, cobb vishnu etc, and examined the stock dynos which tend to be around 230-235whp on pump gas. My car is still untuned but pushing somewhere in the 300whp area. What do you guys think just a boost controller?? (just a side note, i had wheelspin all the way through 2nd gear, so i really only hooked up when we hit 3rd) I dont mean to intrude or offend anyone here, im a big member of the VW community and would love to learn more about subaru tuning.
    2002 GTI 1.8T
    GT3076RLE, custom tubular exhaust mani, custom ic pipes, 600hp precision core, built motor, direct port nitrous, quaife syncromesh 6 speed, raxles, suspension, aeromotive 1000 pump -8an lines, custom dp/exhaust etc....500+whp on race gas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I can't tell you much about the STI's setup, but I just wanna say that you have a helluva nice setup there. Maybe one day I'll be able to do the same to my 1.8T.

Oh, and nice kill!
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3

I Support ClubWRX
    Thank you.
    Thank you for coming to this site as an owner of a different make, and being respectful and courteous. Quite refreshing. Please feel free to stay and contribute. Judging by your list of mods, it sounds like we could learn something from you.

I'm no STi guru; seems like your average lightly modded STi has maybe an intake, downpipe, and manual boost controller at this point. Not sure what that would put to the ground, but I wouldn't THINK it would be 300whp. Good race!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

str
    That's some serious mods, nice. Do you have any pics pf your car? What's it run in the 1/4?
    2004 Black Forester XT

If he said it was stock then it probably was. I've run dead even or beat cars that should have been much faster than me in my STi. I played around with an Eclipse making about 100hp more than me and I hung right with him.So you can't always go by HP numbers. It reminds me of the Sparco WRX that makes like 400+hp , yet ran slower than a stock STi at the strip.

STi's are making anywhere from 247 whp - 259 whp stock. I've heard of some approaching the 300whp mark with a few basic mods (exhaust, intake, boost controllers)

There is a lot more to a car the HP. And of course the driver has a big effect on things.
    -Andrew

I've seen some sti's dyno as low as 240. If he said he was stock, he most likely was. You would have heard an intake (like it matters) or exhaust. Only other "non-visual" thing I can think of is a boost controller.
    2004 R32: 220 whp

For Sale: 2003 wrx
    376 whp @ 22 psi, 93 octane

Pics:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/badassrex

thank you for the welcome, ill get some pics and post them up, but as dumb as it sounds when racing him i couldnt hear anything but my car, i have a tial 38mm external wastegate not routed back into the exhaust, so its very very loud at WOT...i would like to get a run at him with my drag radials on, but by the looks of the kid (that rich boy look) i think he had to have had something (right before i raced him i raced and just beat a friend with a high 400hp 71 camaro small block 350...) so i dont see how it could be true he was BONE stock...my friend at home has a bone stock sti, ill race him and let u guys know whats up. with the money ive spent on the GTI i could have had one killer sti
    2002 GTI 1.8T
    GT3076RLE, custom tubular exhaust mani, custom ic pipes, 600hp precision core, built motor, direct port nitrous, quaife syncromesh 6 speed, raxles, suspension, aeromotive 1000 pump -8an lines, custom dp/exhaust etc....500+whp on race gas.

eh, to be honest, i love gti's when they're heavily modded and done right (as opposed to another sti roaming the streets) You also might be right about him not being stock. I know the type, saying they're stock to save face when they get their ass kicked. Post some pics asap. i wanna see this beast!

Pics:

The stock Sti has some problems with timing (sometimes) so sometimes it dynos 16whp less than the optimal timing mode. They switch in clycles as the ECU readjusts. But on the optimal setting, with just a tbe the TXS Sti on the TXS dyno put down 293whp i think. An MBC would not add much, unless he's really pushing it. Plus the Sti has pretty good 6th gear for highway races...

Ike
    Go away Ed, no one likes you! Just kidding bud, good to see you on the site.

Ike

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by RayfieldsWRX
    Thank you.
    Thank you for coming to this site as an owner of a different make, and being respectful and courteous. Quite refreshing. Please feel free to stay and contribute. Judging by your list of mods, it sounds like we could learn something from you.

I agree. Thank you for coming here and being respectful and courteous to us Subaru members. Most people come here to troll or to start forum dramas. Please feel free to stay here and contribute in our discussions. There are plenty people here that still own SS Camaros', SRT-4's, EVO's, R-32's, etc.

here are some pics of the setup i was running, the changes i made and how the new setup is right now (the intercooler piping was a weird fit because the new turbo is in a different position then it used to be, so im fabricating new stainless steel intercooler piping)

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/27791/index.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gti.jpg  
    2002 GTI 1.8T

thats the car before i did the fmic...here is after, ill take more pics today when i go to the track...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14_1.jpg  
    2002 GTI 1.8T

damn...that is one MONSTER snail...I wonder what it'll make on the 1.8 L once its fully tuned

Pics:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast