wrx vs 02GTI VR6

This is a discussion on wrx vs 02GTI VR6 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My buddy just got an 02 GTI vr6 and just intalled a cat back exhaust. He took me for a ...

wrx vs 02GTI VR6

My buddy just got an 02 GTI vr6 and just intalled a cat back exhaust. He took me for a spin and holy crap does that thing pull!! I was very impressed. I asked him if he wanted to runand we headed for the highway....

We did 2 runs both the same results, we went from about 5mph up to 110, and both time i put about 4 or 5 car lengths on him, or thereabouts.

The torque just makes thos cars feel so much different i thought the race would be closer especially at the top end.
    02 aspen white wrx

1/4 ET 13.9

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yes from what i hear those things feel like they pull harder than they really do...probably cause it pulls at all rpm not just boost range like a rex does...anyway they are deceptacons

I think it has to do a lot with the soft suspension of vws. The car has the tendency, especially with a vr6 engine to move and sway under acceleration making it seem like it is running hard.

I know exactly what your talking about. the mid range torque creates more of a hard pull than a quick pull, which in essence makes it seem a lot faster. I have a friend with a VR-6 with minor mods, and when he took me for a ride, i would have said it was a mid 14sec car. a few weeks later, he ran it and only pulled low 15's.

they are really fun cars though

I've owned a few VW's and it's not the VR6's that are fast, but the 1.8T 's that are chipped. Those can be very quick.

str
    Those GTI's look sweet though. I raced a 1.8 GTI when I had a boost controller and he was very close from a roll. When we went from a dig I pulled a couple of cars but it was hanging in there.
    2004 Black Forester XT

I don't know how loud the cat back was, but a loud exhaust can increase the perception of speed.
    2002 WRX WRB

yeah i get beat off the line by wrxs but before 1st i am about 2 cars infront of them by about 2 cars

my gti is fast but it didn't come this way and it tooke like 9 grnade to get it there
    if its not fast it better be a show car

but vr-6s just feel real fast
    but when they are real fast they are silly they feel like rockets
    if its not fast it better be a show car

the 1.8T is definatly a more modable/tuner car and is faster. but like i was saying... the reason the vr-6 feels faster is because of the mid range torque it posses, and because its a german built car it tends to pull pretty hard uptop also.

My friend just picked up a vr6 jetta and I do admit it "feels" fast but I've never raced him but being in his car it feels like it would be close, maybe on the freeway. I guess theres only one way to really find out though. It really does seem to pull throughout the rpm w/ a lot of low end grunt.

I tried to tell him to get a golf... but he insisted the jetta is better I do admit the interior is very nice, leather-heated seats.

I agree that its the torque that gives it the nice feel. Its a nice steady pull all the way through the rpm's.

I agree the sound of the exhaust helps the perception as well. Next to rex's i think that vr6 may be my next fav exhaust (with the exception of anything Italian)
    02 aspen white wrx

1/4 ET 13.9