Crazy LT1 Formula driver goes down - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Crazy LT1 Formula driver goes down within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by WRXless Uhm... no. Oh, so the LT1 Z28 with 260 hp was actually 300? So what...did the ...

Originally posted by WRXless
    Uhm... no.
    Oh, so the LT1 Z28 with 260 hp was actually 300? So what...did the LS1 just get 400? No? Didn't think so. I believe you have the LS1 and LT1 confused.

You have to take into account all models and their ratings. For example, the Z28. Want more than 300 hp from the factory? LS1.

Now, I can definitely respect LT1 and LS1 but they aren't the same thing.

RN
    Last edited by renichms; 03-02-2004 at 10:03 AM.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I normally don't come into wrx vs the world but I thought Id shed some light.

The LT1 in the Z28's used in 93-97 were 285hp
    The LS1s in the 98-02 Z28's and SS's went from 305-310 in z28s. The SS had 325.

The LT1 Z28 ran a 14.1 from the factory, over the years it has gotten beaten i'm sure. So there are som slow ones out there. Depending on maintenance it can run into the 15s with a crappy motor. I've seen it first hand. I've also seen the low mileage ones still rip off high 13s. LS1's run mid 13s/low 13s depending on wheel spin. ALl the mags i've seen them tested at run a mid/high since they get massive wheelspin

Regardless of this bickering you guys got going on the LT/LS1 are both great the LS1 is the better motor.

As far as a top speed of 169 Im not sure on that, possibly. Sounds more like the performance of a ZR-1 then a normal vette. The ZR-1 had 380hp btw.

www.ls1.com
    www.corvetteforum.com
    www.car-stats.com

Chevy Class is over, don't forget to do your homework.
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Originally posted by CustomS10

One small adjustment...

On standard F-Body LT1s (not SS or Firehawk)

'93-'95 were 275hp / 325tq
    '96&'97 were 285 / 325tq

The change came due to OBD2 and the redesign of the exhaust. Duel cats offered slightly improved exhaust flow, thus the extra 10hp.

Reportidly, the California cars of '95 were required to have the two cats and thus the '95 Cali cars were 285 as well.

{edit}

Also IIRC the SS and Firehawk were only rated to 305hp / 335tq in '96 and '97, with the LT4 at 335hp / 350tq (but not many of those out there ).

Anyway, Cheers!
    Last edited by wile2k; 03-02-2004 at 11:17 AM.
    '04 WR Blue STi (Stock for now)
    '95 Purple T/A (Very Not Stock)

Originally posted by wile2k
    One small adjustment...

On standard F-Body LT1s (not SS or Firehawk)

'93-'95 were 275hp / 325tq
    '96&'97 were 285 / 325tq

The change came due to OBD2 and the redesign of the exhaust. Duel cats offered slightly improved exhaust flow, thus the extra 10hp.

Reportidly, the California cars of '95 were required to have the two cats and thus the '95 Cali cars were 285 as well.

{edit}

Also IIRC the SS and Firehawk were only rated to 305hp / 335tq in '96 and '97, with the LT4 at 335hp / 350tq (but not many of those out there ).

Anyway, Cheers!
    w00t thanks man, from what i saw the 285 was for all lt1's guess not! also when i was researching the SS lt1's it said 285 still on hp. didn't sound right to me.
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Originally posted by renichms
    Oh, so the LT1 Z28 with 260 hp was actually 300? So what...did the LS1 just get 400? No? Didn't think so. I believe you have the LS1 and LT1 confused.

You have to take into account all models and their ratings. For example, the Z28. Want more than 300 hp from the factory? LS1.

Now, I can definitely respect LT1 and LS1 but they aren't the same thing.

RN
    LT1's in CORVETTES had 300HP stock! Did ya not read the post where I said I had an LT1 Vette??
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3

I normally don't come into wrx vs the world but I thought Id shed some light.

The LT1 Z28 ran a 14.1 from the factory, over the years it has gotten beaten i'm sure. So there are som slow ones out there. Depending on maintenance it can run into the 15s with a crappy motor. I've seen it first hand. I've also seen the low mileage ones still rip off high 13s. LS1's run mid 13s/low 13s depending on wheel spin. ALl the mags i've seen them tested at run a mid/high since they get massive wheelspin

Regardless of this bickering you guys got going on the LT/LS1 are both great the LS1 is the better motor.

As far as a top speed of 169 Im not sure on that, possibly. Sounds more like the performance of a ZR-1 then a normal vette. The ZR-1 had 380hp btw.

www.ls1.com
    www.corvetteforum.com
    www.car-stats.com

Chevy Class is over, don't forget to do your homework.
    http://corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/1996/96perf.html
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3

FYI, I owned an LT1 Vette. A top speed of 169 mph is hardly a crappy top end. I'm not saying the LT1 is as good as the LS1, but it is still a contender.
    The Lt1 vette had more hp than the ones used in the firebird and trans am, camaro. also, like CUSTOM S10 referred to, after a while those motors dont run well if not maintained well. Most LT1's still around will run mid 14's or worse, except the ones that were taken care of really well.

I am not saying that my GSR took out 13sec cars, but more than likely those couple of LT1's i raced were mid 14sec car, and considering thats what my GSR runs and with my top end, it = me winning.

169 mph on a stock LT1's vette engine? thats ppretty crazy

Originally posted by Oo Joe 24 oO
    good kill....those lt1s are pigs

if lt1's are pigs, what does that make a rsx type s?
    1997 z28 a4
    Cam, stall, long tubes etc...

Heads in two weeks

Originally posted by DTR maxima
    The Lt1 vette had more hp than the ones used in the firebird and trans am, camaro. also, like CUSTOM S10 referred to, after a while those motors dont run well if not maintained well. Most LT1's still around will run mid 14's or worse, except the ones that were taken care of really well.

I am not saying that my GSR took out 13sec cars, but more than likely those couple of LT1's i raced were mid 14sec car, and considering thats what my GSR runs and with my top end, it = me winning.

169 mph on a stock LT1's vette engine? thats ppretty crazy
    I'm not disagreeing, but this seems to be one of the very few times where an engine is being stereotyped as bad because of the condition some of its applications are in. There are still a lot of dangerous LT1s on the road. Over on corvetteforum there are some fellows who are still running stock LT1s and hitting low 13s; one of them (that I know of) hits 13.0s all the time. Others have supercharged their LT1s and kill new Mustang Cobras all the time.

I'm just saying that the whole group of them should not be stereotyped as 'pigs'.
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3

I'm not disagreeing, but this seems to be one of the very few times where an engine is being stereotyped as bad because of the condition some of its applications are in. There are still a lot of dangerous LT1s on the road. Over on corvetteforum there are some fellows who are still running stock LT1s and hitting low 13s; one of them (that I know of) hits 13.0s all the time. Others have supercharged their LT1s and kill new Mustang Cobras all the time.

I'm just saying that the whole group of them should not be stereotyped as 'pigs'.

right on!
    I'm not disagreeing with you but i've never heard of a stock lt1 going 13.0, although i'm not up with lt1 corvette's. but ever since the ls1 was introduced the lt1 automatically "became" slow. I'm glad people think the lt1 is a pig, I like surprising people.
    1997 z28 a4

Heads in two weeks

Originally posted by TenaciousZ
    I'm glad people think the lt1 is a pig, I like surprising people.
    lol i pull up to camaro's all the time and say man that's slow then they smoke me and i say wow what a sleeper
    (that was a joke just so i dont put the flame suit on)
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

lol i pull up to camaro's all the time and say man that's slow then they smoke me and i say wow what a sleeper
    (that was a joke just so i dont put the flame suit on)

lol, j/k i know that lt1 is not a sleeper by any means but people think it's a high 14 second car for the most part, jeez when I ran it at the track before any mods it was a 14.4 at 97 with alot of problems.
    1997 z28 a4

Heads in two weeks

LT1's ARE fast engines, but the majority of them are rather beat up, and lost .5 seconds off their E.T. because of that. i dont doubt that people are still running 13's, but the majority of owners probably dont take care of it to well.

Originally posted by DTR maxima
    LT1's ARE fast engines, but the majority of them are rather beat up, and lost .5 seconds off their E.T. because of that. i dont doubt that people are still running 13's, but the majority of owners probably dont take care of it to well.

yep, and it's also harder and harder to find a stock lt1 also.
    1997 z28 a4

Heads in two weeks

u can pretty much tell the shape of the motor buy looking at the driver and if u hear anything. If i'm at a light and i hear a mean idle and some guy/kid i'm gunan say hey this might be modded. If it's some 90y/o lady with nothing then it's safe to assume it's stock and maybe not taken care of. 1 out of a million will that old lady have the stock exhaust with a procharger runnint 11lbs of boost and get up and smoke ya.
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.