Houston, TX dyno day with AZScoobie

This is a discussion on Houston, TX dyno day with AZScoobie within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; To start off once again, I'd like to give a very special thanks for Clark to coming out here and ...

Houston, TX dyno day with AZScoobie

To start off once again, I'd like to give a very special thanks for Clark to coming out here and tuning some of these handicapped (I say handicapped cause good lord most of these STG4 cars came on the dyno with 230whp) out here in Houston. And thanks for Turbochargers.com for letting us use their Dynojet. Now on to the good part.

*Note*: Dyno graphs will come later when I figure out what format to put them in so the pic will show up. (Anyone with experience with this please PM me)

Big Turkey: Stock motor, stock tranny/clutch/flywheel, FP Green w/ 7cm housing and 6H wheel, TXS FMIC, UTEC with ECUtek reflash, modded stock injectors, GT-Spec GenII headers, Perrin BIGMAF and HKS DP with electric cutout

Pump gas (93oct): 310hp, 294ft/lbs of torque @ 21-22psi (Stopped tuning on pump gas halfway, reasons explained later) with 20 deg. of advance, AFR > 10.0:1.

C16: 399.3hp, 344.6 ft/lbs of torque @ 23psi! 28 deg. of advance, 12:1 AFR

The turbo is simply great. The car never knocked during the dyno event, and it was running pig rich. I never messed with the wastegate spring, so it was set on whatever PSI it was sent to me with. Which was about 1.6 kg/cm^2.. about 21-22psi. We had no way of turning it down.. and the car was too hot and it was already on the dyno and we were pressed on time. So we did a couple of pump gas pulls. The car made 310hp, 294trq @ 1.56kg/cm^2 (21psi) with 20 degrees of advance, with the AFR well below 10:1 on the dyno (I believe I saw 9.8:1 on the LM-1 once). We decided to stop because really wanted to push it on C16 and not 93oct. I'm going to have to go back and lean it out myself when I back the wastegate spring off a little bit.

On C16, the turbo really came alive. This time it was only boosting a little over 20psi. Weird. Clark started adding timing and leaning out the fuel. It made 335whp. He added another deg. of timing. It jumped up to 345.7hp, with AFR's at 11.4:1. Leaned it out to 11.8:1 and added another degree netted me to 360hp. We decided to take a chance and mess with the boost. We set it at 23psi and it held very nicely. It automatically jumped up to 390.7 with another 3psi of boost. That's insane. We both agreed that we had to cross the 400whp mark. We decided to leave boost alone and just mess with more timing and fuel because we were only at 11.8:1. Leaned it out to 12:1, added two degrees of advance, and it hit 399.3awhp. I figured it was close enough. With the bellmouth/diverted WG downpipe I would have surely hit it. And it was little bit humid.

I have a side note on the modded stock injectors. Without the flash, using the UTEC alone, we were seeing very high corrections. The day before the tune when I installed my injectors, and I had pull fuel out myself to make it home. On a cold start, it was seeing AFR's in the high 9:1 - low 10:1. It was nasty. It didn't want to idle, and it would shake violently. Clark flashed the ECU with ECUtek. In about 30 minutes we got it to idle perfect. Then we had another problem.. the car would peg out 8:1 on the LM-1 right at 4500RPMs when coming onto boost. It would buck back and forth. With the ECU reflash we got that running perfectly as well.. and the driveability is also perfect. I switch the UTEC switch to 0, and the gas mileage is the same as before, 320MPG to the tank. He used the UTEC to tune for power.. and the corrections were at around -4ish. It is a powerful combo like Clark said.. you basically have full control over just about anything.

The car runs perfect. Idle, cruise, no stumbling, everything is smooth and just like before. It just sounds very different.. the sound is much deeper.. it sounds like I have a huge cam in there. On the cold start as well, it isn't nearly as bad.. it'll start off around 13.5:1 then the ECU will slowly correct itself back to 14.7:1. Perfect.

Power is very very smooth. Peak power is at 6800RPMs, and the spoolup isn't bad at all. Clark saw 15psi @ 4100RPMs, and 23psi around 4500RPMs. It's a huge jump but not real sudden kick. But here's the kicker. I took someone out for a ride. 40mph roll.. 4200RPMs.. I eased the peddle to the floor. The front tires slipped a little bit, the rear grabbed traction and I was off. Right at 6800RPMs, right before the shift, BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMM! It shredded 2nd gear :lol: :lol: :lol: Talk about power. Oh well, what can ya do? All I did was laugh about it. It was bound to happen.. the tranny didn't stand a chance.

Okay now that my book is over on my car, here's some others:

tekkgod: stock motor/tranny, FP18g w/ 8cm housing, BPM TMIC, STi pinks, some diverted downpipe with a cutout.

Pump gas: 286hp, 257trq @ 17psi

C16: 334hp, 297trq @ 24psi

pegdrgr: SR40, JDM 6spd, STi pinks, APS 70mm intake, APS DR500 FMIC.

Pump gas: 288hp, 25? trq @ 17psi

C16: 332hp, 309trq @ 23psi

I will let them comment on the rest.

We had a couple more but I didn't get to see them, I will have their graphs in a couple of days. I know a STG4 w/ VF34 and FMIC car put down 293hp, 261trq on pump gas, 17psi creeping to 20psi. Not sure on the others.

DYNO GRAPHS WILL COME IN A COUPLE OF DAYS!

Thanks for reading

BT
    If anything's worth doing.. it's worth doing right.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Houston, TX dyno day with AZScoobie

Originally posted by Big Turkey
    and the gas mileage is the same as before, 320MPG to the tank. BT
    Damn! What kind of tune did you get?? The SUPER hybrid special????
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Thumbs up

Great numbers there Big Turkey. I hope my tune goes as well as your did, although my mods are nowhere near as mad as yours.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

Thats awesome! How long do you think you can run the stock block? What tranny options you looking into?
    04 SVT Lightning

At this power level I'm just running on borrowed time, and I realize that. I don't plan on running at this level except at the track.. I have to go back and do a good pump gas map that will hopefully weild me 340whp and I'll be happy.

I have a set of Chalak dogbox gears that's going on later this week.

At this power level I'm just running on borrowed time, and I realize that. I don't plan on running at this level except at the track.. I have to go back and do a good pump gas map that will hopefully weild me 340whp and I'll be happy.

I have a set of Chalak dogbox gears that's going on later this week.
    so are you expecting your engine to let go or something soon?? I read that the tranny went already right?

In a sense though, I am glad that you posted you experiences with the GREEN turbo. I was thinking of getting one, but will not anymore... don't want to kill my stock 5 speed....

400WHP is beautiful thing though... You are just about ready to go hunting for E55 and SL55AMG's
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Yeah that green is a nasty turbo...I would definitely de-tune that thing down to at least 340 like you said, and dont slam the gears when you shift, or you'll be picking up pieces of tranny...By the way, where did you pick up the chalack gears? I need some new gears as well, but I just can't decide which to go with.
    2004 R32: 220 whp

For Sale: 2003 wrx
    376 whp @ 22 psi, 93 octane

Pics:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/badassrex

The thing is, I didn't slam the gears at all. I eased into the gas at 40mph, and it broke at the peak power band. It was just a weak tranny. I bought the tranny from a private seller that was having a hard time getting rid of it. I got a good deal on it.

I'm not expecting the motor to go soon, but if it does it won't be a huge surprise.

I'm not going to detune it.. I'm going to tune it again on pump gas to 340whp to run on the street. I want to run the C16 at the track just once when I get the gears in. I will hit an 11 and post it for the non believers on NASIOC.

You definitely should be in the 11's with 400 whp and a good clutch.

Pics:

I will hit an 11 and post it for the non believers on NASIOC.
    Who on earth thinks you cant run an 11 w/400whp?

Those are some badass numbers. Don't forget to keep us guys on this side of the sanity barrier (ClubWRX) posted. Can't wait to hear about the run.
    I created my avatar.

I know this sounds obvious, but it all depends on the driver. On my 2nd time down the strip (I DON'T drag race often, so i definitely am not the best drag driver) i ran a 12.8 I let a friend that has been draggin for years run it, telling him to take it as easy as possible on the clutch, and he ran 12.2 So, with 400 whp and the proper driver/launch, anything is possible. The tranny is also a huge component. With a fully race-prepped trans, you can launch at like 6000 rpm and really slam the gears down the strip. The wrx stock 5 spd leaves something to be desired, but again, the car wasnt made to be drag raced. Anyhow, good luck!!

By the way, when the car ran 12.2, it was about 100 lbs lighter (my friend is quite thin)

Pics:

My best time was a 12.54 @ 112 on the 5MT with a VF30 on C16. The only reason I went 12.54 and not lower is because I completely babied the transmission, and still managed to cut a 1.76 60'. The thing that messed up my whole run was my 1-2 shift.. I bogged it on purchase, just to save 2nd gear.

To give you how much that shift matters, I went 8.2 @ 84mph in the 1/8th on pump gas, 12.88 @ 105mph. Then on the C16, I ran a 8.1 @ 90mph, 12.54 @ 112mph. I gained 6mph.. but only dropped .1? That doesn't make any sense..

hey turkey, was the cut out open during your dyno run? if so, did you do a run with it closed?

lots of people bag of the hks dp, but damn, this definitely closes the book on you needing a bell mouth or divorce wastegate design...but i'm sure it never hurts to have those
    k&n, sti-hoodscoop, engine mounts, & tranny mount, blitz dtt, catless up-pipe, samco ic hose, greddy CC, cusco f/r swaybars, gutted midpipe, oil cooler, prodrive exhaust & f/r replica sti strut tower bar, gunmetal rota tarmac, goodridge ss lines, p'n'p exhaust manifold

deny the fly-by

Originally posted by capt'n'caveman
    hey turkey, was the cut out open during your dyno run? if so, did you do a run with it closed?

lots of people bag of the hks dp, but damn, this definitely closes the book on you needing a bell mouth or divorce wastegate design...but i'm sure it never hurts to have those
    I think the problem is that most people are 'followers' in the upgrading world. Just because one company releases something and says that it is the greatest, doesn't mean that it is.. We tend to take things that the big tuners out there say as gospel..

The fact that BT is using such a downpipe is just proof that you too can flow the big numbers using HKS's 150 dollar down pipe...
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...