WRX Vs. Old School Beetle

This is a discussion on WRX Vs. Old School Beetle within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Saw this guy coming up behind me in a moderatly fast curve (easy 70mph in my car) and thought nothing ...

J-H

WRX Vs. Old School Beetle

Saw this guy coming up behind me in a moderatly fast curve (easy 70mph in my car) and thought nothing of it until the guy was next to me... what in the world is this late 70' baby blue bug doing !!! I downshifted to 4th and start walking him so I merge to take my exit. The blue bug flies by me (I am doing 80mph+). I thought it was pretty awesome, I had never seen a fast old-school bug . I know they have NA 1.6 and 1.8 liter engines, but 90+mph in that thing is new to me. While all of this was taking place I remembered reading about a guy that put a Porsche engine and a bunch of other good stuff in a bug, I wondered if this guy had a similar set up. I noticed the "back hood" wasn't closed all the way, so he definately had something bigger in there.

JH

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the beetles are real light 1800 pounds and the 911 motor is the same size but its so unstable in the beetle platform but if you look around you can read about all the gujys that slaped in 350s took out the rear seat and extended the firwall but it was probbaly more like a stroker motor and the"trunk" lid has addjustable hinges so you can leave it up a little
    if its not fast it better be a show car

I don't know any specifics but there are some real fast bugs out there. Between their light weight and rear engine design they can hook up really nicely.
    Run Forest, Run
    04 Java Black 5Mt XT

LOL I used to have a 74' Bug and couldnt go over 80 mph downhill!

I remember looking into getting a turnkey engine from GEX International back in the day but decided to sell the car. Gex sells up to 2275 cc engines.
    04 SVT Lightning

Don't be surprised. My AutoTech teacher built a mean little bug. He is trying to build the worlds fastest N/A bug. Last I herd he was pushing mid 6's in the 1/8th. I ran against him once on a heads-up and It felt like I wasn't even moving!!! I was told he was pushing close to 300HP in that motor.
    HKW

I've seen a few at the local tracks run 10's... They surprised the crap out of me! Didn't know what was under the hood but whatever it was, it was fast!

I Support ClubWRX

Re: WRX Vs. Old School Beetle

Originally posted by J-H
    I know they have NA 1.6 and 1.8 liter engines, but 90+mph in that thing is new to me. While all of this was taking place I remembered reading about a guy that put a Porsche engine and a bunch of other good stuff in a bug, I wondered if this guy had a similar set up. I noticed the "back hood" wasn't closed all the way, so he definately had something bigger in there.
    I was into hopping up bugs in high school. The largest engine that the Type I (the beetle) got was 1585cc from the factory, worth about 65hp, IIRC. VW's Type 3 cars, and Type 4 bus engines got larger displacements.

IF he's still running a VW engine, it could be a Type 4 block, which is what they provided for the Porsche 914 and the later buses. They're much tougher than the wimpy beetle blocks, and can be bored and stroked without so many problems. Put in some worked heads, dual Weber or Dellorto carbs, a decent Engle cam, and good exhaust, and you could crank out some respectable power, especially to push that lightweight body around. I had friends in high school that could pick up the front of the car on a 2nd gear shift. (Bear in mind that there's not much weight in the front)

I'm thinking that he's got some taller gears than stock, but even so, bugs are NOT safe at high speed. (90+) Hope he's done a disc brake conversion.

Oh, and the raised deck-lid means nothing. I ran one, too, for better cooling.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Originally posted by j-style
    the beetles are real light 1800 pounds and the 911 motor is the same size but its so unstable in the beetle platform but if you look around you can read about all the gujys that slaped in 350s took out the rear seat and extended the firwall but it was probbaly more like a stroker motor and the"trunk" lid has addjustable hinges so you can leave it up a little
    whoa.... two words for you, friend.
    *breathe*
    punctuation.
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

I'm probably dating myself but there used to be a lot of very fast V Dubs out there. I remember seeing quite a few bugs and ghia's running in the 10's and 11's in "street legal" cars. The trick set-up was a built Type III 1835 (I'm not sure what their displacement was after building). The problem with them was that the cylinder walls were very thin and they had a tendency to blow them out. But the parts were very cheap and rebuilding was very easy.

It is actually cheaper and easier to build a Type III than a Type IV. If I remember correctly, the Type III had better flowing heads than the Type IV. The other problem with the Type IV's was emissions. I believe most of the cars with the Type IV's had fuel injection and you could not convert to carbs and still be smog legal. Of course, that changed this year for cars that were built 1974 or earlier!
    2002 WRX Wagon
    2-1973 914-2.0's
    1974 914-2.0 LE

I Support ClubWRX
    Type 4 blocks are much more stout than Type 1 or Type 3. Early 70's cars have been exempt from smog inspection here in NC since the 80's. I never had to pass, no matter what was in the engine bay. The deal with thin cylinder walls is one reason why people building serious engines sometimes went to the Type 4 block. There were people around building 2.8 liter engines with no worries.

But you're right, the Type 4 stuff is (relatively speaking) more expensive. Compare it to the WRX world, and it seems cheap enough...

Sea Dragon:Looks like you've got a nice stable of Type 4 engines there yourself!
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 02-24-2004 at 09:45 AM.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Yeah, the 914's are great handling cars but slower than molasses and most people think they are uglier than sin.

But it's fun to see the expression on people's faces at the track when you pass somebody that has twice as much horsepower.

All I need to do now is to convert my track car to a 914-6. I used to have a 914-6 that had a 2.5 liter 250+ hp engine in it. On the scales with me in the car it weighed in well under 2000#. That car was great fun and made a nice sleeper since everybody knows that 914's are slow.
    2002 WRX Wagon
    2-1973 914-2.0's
    1974 914-2.0 LE

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Sea Dragon Rex
    I used to have a 914-6 that had a 2.5 liter 250+ hp engine in it. On the scales with me in the car it weighed in well under 2000#.

Awesome!
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I am actually in the middle of restoring a 78 vert superbeetle..

If your all intersted check out Germanlook.com, lot of info about your flat four sibbling..

Right now I am tossed between getting ready for the race season with my Rex, or continue to restore the beetle..

I am in the middle of a 944 brake swap, and will be running a 1800cc or 2.0 lt 915 with upright conversion.. My goal is to one day take this baby to the track for kicks.. would be nice to race my wife..

Just FYI..

Alex

PS don't under estimate the beetles with the Type IV, specially if there built by a guy named Jake Raby.. could embarass you.. just wish I could afford his engines.. my .02 cents.. and wrong forum
    Not stock any more.

Scooby Sports Stage 2
    Ecutek Powered
    SPT suspension, Progress Swaybars
    Prodrive P7's