My Camaro SS vs. Blue WRX STi (modded) in MI
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on My Camaro SS vs. Blue WRX STi (modded) in MI within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was coming home from the g/f's on I-696 I was doing 65mph. Some guy in this blue WRX STi ...

My Camaro SS vs. Blue WRX STi (modded) in MI

I was coming home from the g/f's on I-696 I was doing 65mph. Some guy in this blue WRX STi with a large hood scoop, wing, what looked like 4" exhaust, 19" rims, and brembro brakes (looks like he had some $ into it)drove past me. I rolled up to him and revved. He did the same and I could hear the BOV. Welp, I played with him a lil, I put it in 4th and let him pull on me, then the next run I put it in 3rd and stayed even with him. I then asked him to slow a little to -55mph- gave the signal, droped it to second, and all he could see was tail lights.

I was wondering what mod's this guy had done since his car was pretty quick.

If the guy is reading this, here is a pic of my car:

My mods:
    Enkei V1's - BMR STB - TSP clear lid - Stull polished grille - Black Halo's - 7000k HID - Custom leather - Pacesetter LT's - ORP - TSP 232/228 .595/.588 112 LSA Cam - Patriot Stage 2 5.3L heads - Katech oil pump - manley pushrods - comp 978's - !AIR - !EGR - K&N

thanks
    -Steve

p.s. this in no way is meant to be a flame.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

WRX
    well, STi's come STOCK with many of those parts. I.E. hoodscoop, large wing, brembos, and the stock exhaust looks like an aftermarket one, although there are many out there with exhausts already. He was probably lightly modded, but way to give him a run for his money.

Sweet car you have there.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

Too bad he had to play by your rules for you to beat him
    2004 STI ----- 11.66 @ 125.66 w/ 1.9 60' ----- 537HP/487TQ ----- 93 Octane/Water Injection
    WWW.F1DYNO.COM

Excuse me? I went up to him for a race as far as I know...

He drove past me, I came up to him, if he would have wanted to go slower, i really wouldn't have minded at all.
    -Steve

fre
    I doubt he had to play by any rules a modded SS is fast, period. And yes all those things you saw were probably stock. The wheels are actually 17inches and I doubt somebody with an sti would swap the stock wheels, since they are nice to begin with. So a stock Sti vs a slightly modded SS er well I dunno how modded that is. It actually looks like a lot of stuff now that I read it hehe... not really a surprise to me.
    Last edited by fre; 02-16-2004 at 07:59 AM.

Your sig says you are a Heads/Cam LS1. If that STi kept up with you then he's most likely HEAVILY modded. My car traps 115mph and I'm on stock heads. Your cam is more aggressive than mine as well. I'm thinking that was an 115+mph STi .
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

He probably had intake (the BOV-like sound you heard), exhaust, and maybe a couple other bolt-ons. Like someone else said, chances are the wheels were the stock silver or gold BBS wheels. Either way, nice kill.
    Your car looks and sounds badass.

Good runs Steve. Like the others said, the Sti comes with the wings, brembos, hoodscoop, etc.

That being said, he must have had some goodies to even hang with you from a roll (when you had it in 3rd.) I can hang with my buddy's Heads/Cam 99SS from a roll but I have to be boosting 24psi. That puts me right around 350whp.

*EDIT* My buddy does not have "heads" just stock heads with upgraded reatiners, etc etc.
    Last edited by silverscooby; 02-16-2004 at 02:26 PM.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

sht
    your ss looks good and it's fast like sh!t
    wrx 04 black

workin for the man

last I heard, there weren't many engine mgmt systems out for the STi yet, cept the greddy e-manage. UTEC due out in may or whatever as well. so, I don't know how 'heavily' modded he could have been.
    03 wrx - 300whp/270wtq
    Originally posted by zoophagy
    The people that work there are, for the most part, retards. I used to work there.

Originally posted by Snowvert
    last I heard, there weren't many engine mgmt systems out for the STi yet, cept the greddy e-manage. UTEC due out in may or whatever as well. so, I don't know how 'heavily' modded he could have been.
    True. However, Vishnu and GPMoto both have their Xede and Unichip programs available right now. Theyre just not plug and play.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

Originally posted by dizastical
    Too bad he had to play by your rules for you to beat him
    And you would have come to a dead stop on an interstate had you been there ("I-696")? LOL Too bad you would've gotten rearended by an 18 wheeler...

The mods listed on the SS should put him in the 420-430+ rwhp range. I'm at 406 rwhp with a milder cam (224/224, .558/.558 112 LSA), and I trap at just under 115 with a 3900+ lb raceweight. I'd expect trap speeds of v8maro to be in the 118 mph range. His cam profile also pushes his HP peak pretty high (probably 6800 rpm) and loses HP and torque down low, compared to stock or mild cammed LS1's. So v8maro needs to keep his car in the upper rpm range in order to get the most out of it, which would explain why the STi eased away in 4th gear & low rpm, was even in 3rd gear and mid rpm, and fell back in 2nd gear and high rpm.

Good story and nice run.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

sht: thanks man!

Dan00Hawk: Yeah, my cam actually peaks at 6400rpms & I shift at 6500rpms so I stay mostly in the 'power area'. I actually have quite a few more mods to do like new LS6 heads ls6 intake, stonger rear end, slicks, torque arm, sub frames, larger maf & throttle body, and a new stage 3 clutch, seems like the stocker is starting to give out a bit =\

-Steve

LS1's (and now LS2's and 6's) are the standard man, if you can beat one, especially from a roll, you car is legitimately fast.

Good race, keep the ruber side down.
    Don't believe the life you have
    Will be the only one
    You have to let your body sleep
    To let your soul live on

2006 Evo IX MR

Good run. The only thing that held me back from getting an SS was insurance premiums. Gotta love the LS6.

BTW, there are no LS2's.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast