Vw R32
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Vw R32 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I think the name of it is the R32...new AWD VW. Really nice looking. Sounds fantastic too. Anyways... I'm at ...

Vw R32

I think the name of it is the R32...new AWD VW. Really nice looking. Sounds fantastic too. Anyways...

I'm at the Subaru dealer today, waiting to pull out in traffic. Down the road a bit I see what I HOPE is an R32. Traffic clears for him first, so he pulls out and by the time I was able to pull out, he was up to a minimum of 25-30 mph. I don't know if he wanted to try and embarass an STi in front of the Subaru sales staff or what, but he punched it as hard as it'd go (if you've seen one of these and heard it, it's hard to miss at WOT) to try and blow by me. Of course, I had not run across one of these cars except in what I see online, so I wanted to test him too. So, I punched it...and pulled away so fast it was actually amusing. I let off after a short run (excessive speed + populated area = BAD) and he pulled a rice-by on me.

Just thought I'd share how an R32 fares against an STi, and that I really like the R32, having now seen and heard it in person. It's just not fast enough.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Vw R32

Originally posted by renichms
    I think the name of it is the R32...new AWD VW. Really nice looking. Sounds fantastic too. Anyways...

I'm at the Subaru dealer today, waiting to pull out in traffic. Down the road a bit I see what I HOPE is an R32. Traffic clears for him first, so he pulls out and by the time I was able to pull out, he was up to a minimum of 25-30 mph. I don't know if he wanted to try and embarass an STi in front of the Subaru sales staff or what, but he punched it as hard as it'd go (if you've seen one of these and heard it, it's hard to miss at WOT) to try and blow by me. Of course, I had not run across one of these cars except in what I see online, so I wanted to test him too. So, I punched it...and pulled away so fast it was actually amusing. I let off after a short run (excessive speed + populated area = BAD) and he pulled a rice-by on me.

Just thought I'd share how an R32 fares against an STi, and that I really like the R32, having now seen and heard it in person. It's just not fast enough.

RN

Now I bet he is telling everyone he beat an STi
    R32 = Nice car, dumb driver
    Bleeding true blue.

"That gasp you just heard was National League hitters after hearing that Mark Prior has added a couple extra MPH to his fastball this winter."

-Will Carroll-

03 Blue rex - Sold
    04 Black Forester XT - Nice

Re: Re: Vw R32

Originally posted by 03 blue rex
    Now I bet he is telling everyone he beat an STi
    R32 = Nice car, dumb driver
    I wouldn't doubt it. Whoever it was turned off the road into a shopping center, probably to go back to the dealer since it still had dealer tags and the window sticker. But...he can claim anything he wants. When he wants some of this STi, I got it.

RN

The R32 is definately a very cool car. It looks great as well. My only problem with it is the price tag. A local VW dealer has two R32s sitting on their lot (not sold in red and blue) with window stickers just under $31,000!!! I think that is extreeeeeemly pricy for that car. Its performance will definately put it on par with a stock WRX, but why would they price it around a STi or EVO? VW is getting crazy with prices anyway....(side note..I saw a Phaeton W12 with a $103,000 window sticker) If VW dropped the leather seats in the R32 and lowered the price to around $26,000, they would sell many more. The STi is just to amazing to pass up for a slower VW at the same price...IMO

Nice Kill...if i had to guess, his next stop was the Suby dealer...

-Marc
    WRX - It's not a rocket. It's a guided missile.

I was amazed to see one. I can't find info on it on VW's site, which is odd. But the car definitely looked and sounded awesome. AWD helps it too.

I also saw an SRT4 in town yesterday (a red one), so I'm hoping the SRT4 is local and an R32 will find its way over here...that'd be awesome.

RN

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It seems that prices for a lot of the VW's are creeping into Audi territory.For a couple more grand i'd go for an A6.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Is it a ricer fly-by, or a schnitzel fly-by? Damn Germans...

I Support ClubWRX
    Good grief you guys. The reason the R32 is $31k or so is because it's a 'quick' car with a luxury interior. It's a far superior everyday car than a WRX, STi or EVO will ever be.
    2010 SSM STI

Originally posted by WilliamG
    Good grief you guys. The reason the R32 is $31k or so is because it's a 'quick' car with a luxury interior. It's a far superior everyday car than a WRX, STi or EVO will ever be.
    Though it is smaller and only 2-doors. Personally, I HATE cramming in the back of a small car. Nice car, just not as good for everyday use.

RN

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh don't get me wrong. I wouldn't get a 2 door car either, and I wouldn't swap my WRX for an R32. But the R32 is certainly not a rip-off. Different strokes, as they say...
    2010 SSM STI

the r32 is nice as hell! its worth the price tag imho. leather recaros, monson sound system which sounds amazing in a vw hatch. brembo brakes, 18 inch rims. sure its not in the league of the evo and sti in acceleration but u can bet the handling charactersitics are good.. i remember reading a comparo between the three and the r32 was picked as the best handling car. After driving an evo through some twisties i would really like to feel the r32 handle if its better then the go kart like evo.

Originally posted by scoobyjew
    the r32 is nice as hell! its worth the price tag imho. leather recaros, monson sound system which sounds amazing in a vw hatch. brembo brakes, 18 inch rims. sure its not in the league of the evo and sti in acceleration but u can bet the handling charactersitics are good.. i remember reading a comparo between the three and the r32 was picked as the best handling car. After driving an evo through some twisties i would really like to feel the r32 handle if its better then the go kart like evo.
    good point. although its not on par with speed with the evo and STI and most def. more refined. I sat in one at the auto show (havnt driven it though) and it was really nice. the interior was much more refined, with less plastic and the seats were great. I think you get what you pay for, assuming its drives well. i wasnt aware that the handling characteristics were so good.

also, you have to remember the gti 1.8T. R32 may not be as fast as sti or evo, but a chip and MBC and exhaust did absolute wonders for the base 1.8T so think of what it will do with the R32.
    just a thought

Originally posted by DTR maxima
    good point. although its not on par with speed with the evo and STI and most def. more refined. I sat in one at the auto show (havnt driven it though) and it was really nice. the interior was much more refined, with less plastic and the seats were great. I think you get what you pay for, assuming its drives well. i wasnt aware that the handling characteristics were so good.

also, you have to remember the gti 1.8T. R32 may not be as fast as sti or evo, but a chip and MBC and exhaust did absolute wonders for the base 1.8T so think of what it will do with the R32.
    just a thought
    Chip and exhaust might help some, but MBC doesn't help on a normally aspirated engine.

RN

good everyday driving car, bad if you are looking for speed in a straight line. 240hp and 3400lbs according to some people on vwvortex may barely break into 14s. I believe no US r32 has been tested in 1/4 by an owner.
    Its a great lookin car in and out but at nearly 31k I can't fathom why anyone would buy one. Not fast enough, not status enough, there are better buys if you want a smooth cruiser.
    03 wrx
    karboy ss/bushings, blitz dtt, catless, prodrive axleback

10 bucks says it was just a 20th anniversery GTi... looks very much like the R32... as They havent arrived yet.

i could be wrong.. but i havent seen one on any VW lot yet...
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.