standstill racing vs. rolling racing
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 57

This is a discussion on standstill racing vs. rolling racing within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm not sure if this belongs here or not but since it deals with racing I'll go ahead. I don't ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    46

    standstill racing vs. rolling racing

    I'm not sure if this belongs here or not but since it deals with racing I'll go ahead. I don't get why people always talk about racing from a roll or from like 40 mph. That doesn't prove jack. I feel that "real" racing is from a complete standstill. The only way I can put it is as: racing from a standstill is like real sex why racing from a highway roll is like masturbating.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    202
    eitherway its still illegal and dnagerious. somethinks have more power up high like a gs-r acura some people just don't want to breka things i personally prefer the dead stop launch
    if its not fast it better be a show car

  4. #3
    Registered User bent_halo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NoCal
    Posts
    34
    some people prefer to see how the car stacks up without the abuse of a launch...a wrx will take my car from a launch if the wrx owner wants to hammer on his ride.......however it really doesnt mean said wrx has more power than mine just means it has the edge off the line....and over time it might be costly to the wrx owner from all the hard launching.....from a roll you can see who has more power with less abuse on the car .... IMO running from a dead stop is a better test of who can time the launch the best while from a roll its more about who has the most power...

    on a side note I try not to have sex or masturbate while racing.......
    03 SRT4

    Mopar Stage 1
    Mopar STS
    Mopar Catback Exhaust

  5. #4
    Registered User SGOSWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,058
    Racing is racing but going from a roll isn't drag racing. Its in a category all by itself. But it is racing.

    Drag racing is from a dead stop. It has been that way for a long time. Your never going to see John Force racing from a roll in his Funny car. Thats not what drag racing is all about. The first thing someone will ask you is " what does your car run in the 1/4"? Thats how most people judge a cars performance.

    But its not alway possible to line up and race from a dead stop. Most my races are from a roll because I just run into someone cruising around and we go for it. But when I get a chance to go at it from a dead stop, its so much better. Its like the race is official and the winner is truely faster. From a roll, I don't get that feeling.

    In drag racing the faster car is the one that does the 1/4 mile in the shortest amount of time. Trap speed don't mean a thing. In racing from a roll, trap speeds are very important. In most cases the car with the higher trap speed will win a race from a roll.


    But there are many other ways to race. Off road, rally, road course, etc. The objective is still the same. The winner is the one that gets to the finish line first. But in drag racing, its from a dead stop, or its really not drag racing.

  6. #5
    Registered User Timdog1650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: standstill racing vs. rolling racing

    Originally posted by NJ Halabuhjee
    racing from a standstill is like real sex why racing from a highway roll is like masturbating.
    Original...think of that yourself?

    The reason people race from a roll is to measure their top end performance and the way their cars operate in the upper power bands. A wrx will beat most cars off the line because of its all wheel drive, but will not beat most cars from a roll because it isn't as fast or aerodynamic as say an LS1. When someone can crank on a corvette, porsche, M3, or LS1 from a roll (the forte of the aforementioned vehicles) it proves that not only does their car have the supremacy of an AWD launch, it can also 0wn people in the upper power band. It's not all about the 1/4 mile. Also, launching a car regularly is a sure way to accelerate the deterioration of your engine and drivetrain, something most owners don't want to exasorbate. There's nothing wrong with drag racing a car once in a while, but for the most part I stay away from those races because not only are they dangerous, but they don't really highlight anything except my ability to launch.

    ~Tim

  7. #6
    Registered User SGOSWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: Re: standstill racing vs. rolling racing

    Originally posted by Timdog1650
    Original...think of that yourself?

    The reason people race from a roll is to measure their top end performance and the way their cars operate in the upper power bands. A wrx will beat most cars off the line because of its all wheel drive, but will not beat most cars from a roll because it isn't as fast or aerodynamic as say an LS1. When someone can crank on a corvette, porsche, M3, or LS1 from a roll (the forte of the aforementioned vehicles) it proves that not only does their car have the supremacy of an AWD launch, it can also 0wn people in the upper power band. It's not all about the 1/4 mile. Also, launching a car regularly is a sure way to accelerate the deterioration of your engine and drivetrain, something most owners don't want to exasorbate. There's nothing wrong with drag racing a car once in a while, but for the most part I stay away from those races because not only are they dangerous, but they don't really highlight anything except my ability to launch.

    ~Tim
    b

    I will agree with you that it is impressive to beat an LS1, M3, etc from a roll. It shows you have a truely powerful car. But I would also agree that it is just as or more impressive to be able to run 1.7x sec 60' times. Its takes alot more skill to launch a car off the line than it takes to race from a roll.

    Its kind of weird that 100s of racers show up at the track every weekend trying to be the fastest down the 1/4 mile. They seem to feel the way I do.

    You would be very surprized to find out when many cars break parts. My modded LS1 z28 killed the tranny twice. Both times the tranny gave out in 3rd gear. From what I've been told this is very common. I believe its Doug (turboxs stage 4 setup) has had to rebuild his tanny twice in his WRX. His tranny also gave out in I believe 3rd gear racing from a roll.

  8. #7
    Registered User Mr. Fancypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    SFV, CA
    Posts
    582
    Ive always thought traditional drag racing from a stop is the way to go.
    04 SVT Lightning

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Huntington *****
    Posts
    303
    racing from a stop is driver skill and the car
    racing from a roll is who has the most hp and better gearing

  10. #9
    Registered User 03 blue rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    221
    Originally posted by axion7606
    racing from a stop is driver skill and the car
    racing from a roll is who has the most hp and better gearing


    And driving on reverse is who had the most drinks.
    Bleeding true blue.

    "That gasp you just heard was National League hitters after hearing that Mark Prior has added a couple extra MPH to his fastball this winter."

    -Will Carroll-


    03 Blue rex - Sold
    04 Black Forester XT - Nice

  11. #10
    Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    26,582
    I Support ClubWRX
    I don't do anymore racing on the street. When I was younger I had my occasional drag race (ok....more than occasional ), but never raced from a roll. I really don't see the beauty of that. I'm involved in circle track racing. When the race starts you have someone next to you, in the same type of car, with roughly the same setup, rolling at 30mph waiting to see that green flag around the turn. Almost always someone has the edge because they got a better jump. I doesn't say his car is faster, it just sais he got a better jump. When it comes to drag racing I vote for the standing start. That is how cars have been measured forever, and will continue to be measured. We give up a little power for a better launch. That is one thing I always thought was really cool about our cars.

    P.S. I'll look to see if this makes sense tomorrow....I'm drunk

  12. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    37
    You 4wd ricers shoudn't all be scared to race from a roll...And..Ah ...trap speed does mean something.... it shows the power and true potential of the car.

    Say you have a 04 Cobra running 12.90 at 115 trap speed and spins vs a AWD car the runs the same time but with a 105 mph trap with no spin. If both cars ran slicks the Cobra would probably run 11.90 vs the AWD running MAYBE a 12.8.
    Last edited by rayzzz57; 02-14-2004 at 10:15 PM.
    2001 Formula
    11.40@119 (N/A)
    $1,700 in mods (head&cam)
    10.90@129 MPH (NOS)
    Stock 12.94@107MPH

  13. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    37
    Ahh...actually I'm just stateing the truth. Never be scared of the truth!
    2001 Formula
    11.40@119 (N/A)
    $1,700 in mods (head&cam)
    10.90@129 MPH (NOS)
    Stock 12.94@107MPH

  14. #13
    Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    26,582
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by rayzzz57
    You 4wd ricers shoudn't all be scared to race from a roll...And..Ah ...trap speed does mean something.... it shows the power and true potential of the car.

    Say you have a 04 Cobra running 12.90 at 115 trap speed and spins vs a AWD car the runs the same time but with a 105 mph trap with no spin. If both cars ran slicks the Cobra would probably run 11.90 vs the AWD running MAYBE a 12.8
    Bench racing at it's finest. There are many other threads about domestics verses imports. Feel free to post on one of those and try to keep this on topic.

    ignorant domestics

  15. #14
    Buzzz Wannabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Peoria, AZ
    Posts
    5,184
    I am from a standing start kind-of guy.
    That is the way all of the car companies, performance magazines, and anyone that I regularly associate with measure things.
    Quarter mile ET, speed, 0-60 times etc.
    And for the bench racing, the quickest E.T. wins. No matter what the car "could" run with slicks. Stage up and the first one to the end wins. No one likes the guy that says, "I would have won had I brought my . . . or bolted on my . . . or brought my daddies car."
    First one to the end takes home a piece of paper saying "I WIN!"

  16. #15
    fre
    fre is offline
    Registered User fre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    357
    Originally posted by Wannabe
    I am from a standing start kind-of guy.
    That is the way all of the car companies, performance magazines, and anyone that I regularly associate with measure things.
    Quarter mile ET, speed, 0-60 times etc.
    And for the bench racing, the quickest E.T. wins. No matter what the car "could" run with slicks. Stage up and the first one to the end wins. No one likes the guy that says, "I would have won had I brought my . . . or bolted on my . . . or brought my daddies car."
    First one to the end takes home a piece of paper saying "I WIN!"
    I completely agree, to say I would have won if I had slicks would be like me saying I would have won if I had a bigger turbo, if you don't have it it doesn't matter! It is all about streetability and awd is more steetable than slicks *got traction?*
    Last edited by fre; 02-16-2004 at 08:13 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •