standstill racing vs. rolling racing - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on standstill racing vs. rolling racing within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by rayzzz57 You 4wd ricers shoudn't all be scared to race from a roll...And..Ah ...trap speed does mean ...

Originally posted by rayzzz57
    You 4wd ricers shoudn't all be scared to race from a roll...And..Ah ...trap speed does mean something.... it shows the power and true potential of the car.

Say you have a 04 Cobra running 12.90 at 115 trap speed and spins vs a AWD car the runs the same time but with a 105 mph trap with no spin. If both cars ran slicks the Cobra would probably run 11.90 vs the AWD running MAYBE a 12.8.
    I'm glad that someone who is as knowledgeable, charasmatic, friendly, yet incredibly informative and articulate as yourself has graced us with the opportunity to enlighten ourselves with your internet posting.

"I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Trailboss
    I'm glad that someone who is as knowledgeable, charasmatic, friendly, yet incredibly informative and articulate as yourself has graced us with the opportunity to enlighten ourselves with your internet posting.

Just do a search on his posts. He seems to be that helpful all the time

Wow, a WRX site thinks that racing from a stop is better than racing from a roll. Will wonders never cease?!
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

Re: Re: standstill racing vs. rolling racing

Originally posted by Timdog1650
    Original...think of that yourself?

The reason people race from a roll is to measure their top end performance and the way their cars operate in the upper power bands. A wrx will beat most cars off the line because of its all wheel drive, but will not beat most cars from a roll because it isn't as fast or aerodynamic as say an LS1. When someone can crank on a corvette, porsche, M3, or LS1 from a roll (the forte of the aforementioned vehicles) it proves that not only does their car have the supremacy of an AWD launch, it can also 0wn people in the upper power band. It's not all about the 1/4 mile. Also, launching a car regularly is a sure way to accelerate the deterioration of your engine and drivetrain, something most owners don't want to exasorbate. There's nothing wrong with drag racing a car once in a while, but for the most part I stay away from those races because not only are they dangerous, but they don't really highlight anything except my ability to launch.

~Tim
    Very well put. It truly depends on what type of car you have. Lets talk about street racing. If you have AWD, then you'll prefer racing from a stop. If you have FWD, you'll prefer racing from a roll. If you have RWD, it all depends on whether the car is a manual, auto, or skill level. Since 1/4 mile drag racing was brought up, RWD cars absolutely own. To say otherwise would be ignorant.

I myself have always taken more pride in beating someone from a roll. That way I could beat on folks and wouldn't have to abuse my clutch and tranny.

I just love the fact that when my SS was stock, I could perform a crappy launch(2.1 60ft) and still run a 13.2 at 107mph. You can't say that about an STi or EVo. If they had a crappy launch(1.9-2.1), they'd be running 13.6s- 14.2s at 99-101mph. If they do hit the launch, then I'm right there with them at the trap but 5-7mph faster.

That's the thing about AWD from a stop, you BETTER hit your launch perfect or you'll just screw yourself 3 times over. Racing from a stop with AWD isn't nearly as forgiving as RWD and FWD are. Why? because if you bog your launch in your AWD car, your HUGE advantage just got thrown out the window.
    Last edited by Shaitiger; 02-16-2004 at 02:29 PM.
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

Originally posted by RSXSucks
    Wow, a WRX site thinks that racing from a stop is better than racing from a roll. Will wonders never cease?!
    LOL .

Racing from a roll is a great way to determine your power to weight ratio, the true ability of a car(in terms of straight line performance). A friend and I raced from a roll yesterday, I was on my sv650 and he was on his zx9r. We went from third and needless to say it wasn't pretty.
    -scott

sht
    how much do slicks or DR's cost and what could that get you for the STi?
    wrx 04 black

workin for the man

Originally posted by rayzzz57
    You 4wd ricers shoudn't all be scared to race from a roll...And..Ah ...trap speed does mean something.... it shows the power and true potential of the car.

Say you have a 04 Cobra running 12.90 at 115 trap speed and spins vs a AWD car the runs the same time but with a 105 mph trap with no spin. If both cars ran slicks the Cobra would probably run 11.90 vs the AWD running MAYBE a 12.8.

2001 Formula
    11.40@119 (N/A)
    $1,700 in mods (head&cam)
    10.90@129 MPH (NOS)
    Stock 12.94@107MPH
    Please don't think this guy is doing the other LS1 owners here any favors by posting his opinion...

Besides, his $1700 for heads/cam doesn't account for the other bolt ons and support mods (pushrods, oil pump, fuel pump, injectors, programming, upgraded clutch, tires, rearend, suspension, throttle body, air lid, etc...) that are necessary to go along with a heads/cam car that is reliable and trapping 119 on motor and 129 on nitrous (Does this guy even realize that NOS is only a brand?) So his signature already indicates (to me anyway) that he's not likely to be informative and helpful to a group of import owners.

Back on topic: I enjoy racing my buddies from a stop, and from a roll when playing around when you're not at a dragstrip. I think it's important and fun to know where your particular strengths and weaknesses occur. For example, when Shaitiger and I race our LS1's, I pull on him in 1st gear a bit (3.73 gears for me, and 3.42 for him), but he catches up on the top end and starts easing ahead (lighter weight and better aerodynamics). His ET and trapspeed just edged out my best this past year, too. I'm better looking though...

And it's not always convenient or easy to catch a red light, especially if you happen to be cruising on the expressway/freeway/interstate/tollroad.

Win or lose, it's more fun to race from a roll than to not race at all.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Originally posted by Dan00Hawk
    I'm better looking though...
    I object!!!!

And it's not always convenient or easy to catch a red light, especially if you happen to be cruising on the expressway/freeway/interstate/tollroad.

Win or lose, it's more fun to race from a roll than to not race at all.
    Great point.
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

ummmm a stock 04 cobra running a 12.9 at 115 is very unrealistic...i see ur profile but yet i still think ur exagerating, i know these cars as well as have done an enormous amount of research...a 12.9 @115 from stock cobra is like a 13.9 from a stock rex...its possible but will almost never happen...btw ur car is fugly

Originally posted by sht
    how much do slicks or DR's cost and what could that get you for the STi?
    Interestingly shaped metal bits in place of the forged/machined parts in the tranny/clutch/axles.

You WANT wheelspin with an AWD turbo car. Helps the turbo keep on boil, and reduces the shock to the driveline.

I'd guess with a clutch slipping approach and DR's on the STi you might could see 1.5 60' times. Would be hell on the friction plate tho.
    2003 WRB Wagon. Vishnu Stage 2(VF30). DBA 5010's/steel lines/Carbotech Bobcat pads, MRT topmount. Tein coilovers, 22/24 mm sways, ALK....I'M DONE!!!!!!

ERP
    It simply comes down to what you think you have a better chance of winning. I like to go to the track because the is such a standard. But I drive a fwd Saab so I prefer a rolling start. That way I can win more, then my girlfriend is impressed and takes me home to give me oral pleasure.

=+- 02' Midnight Black Scooby Rex-+=

Originally posted by ERP
    =. But I drive a fwd Saab so I prefer a rolling start. That way I can win more, then my girlfriend is impressed and takes me home to give me oral pleasure.

HAHAHHAHA best reason for doing rolling races ever
    if its not fast it better be a show car

Originally posted by ERP
    It simply comes down to what you think you have a better chance of winning. I like to go to the track because the is such a standard. But I drive a fwd Saab so I prefer a rolling start. That way I can win more, then my girlfriend is impressed and takes me home to give me oral pleasure.
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast