WRX vs. Saleen... Almost
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRX vs. Saleen... Almost within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I thought I'd go ahead and share one of my very first street encounters after I bought my wrex and ...

WRX vs. Saleen... Almost

I thought I'd go ahead and share one of my very first street encounters after I bought my wrex and my first story here on ClubWRX. This actually happened quite a while back when I was pretty much stock but I'm in the story telling mood so here goes (kinda long)...

On my way home from work one day I see a nice looking gunmetal-bronze-ish mustang about 2 cars ahead of me in the turn lane. I thought to myself, "A mustang GT would be a nice 1st race in my wrex". As the light turns green I hear its deep exhaust growl and thought instantly that it sounds pretty beefy to be a GT. I managed to weave around some cars to get a close enough look... hot damn!!... Its a Saleen! I finally get next to him and he looks over so I throw him a big thumbs up, he returns the favor w/ a big grin. Unfortunately there was too much traffic (5:00pm Southern CA madness) to really see what his beast could do. I knew I wouldn't have had a chance but I just wanted to witness its power. Before we parted and went our separate ways he did however let his beast roar one last time as he accelerated away.

Now, to the better part of my story. I'm on my way home again from work and guess who I see in front of me again... Mr. Saleen himself. This time we're at the same turn lane but he's in front and I'm only a car behind. When the light turns green he guns it and I quickly follow suit and low and behold we both end up at the next light lined up w/ a van in between us. I couldn't see him because the van was blocking my view so I didn't know if he wanted to give it a go.

My heart starts pumping, the adrenaline is building and finally I see the opposite light turn yellow. The suspense is too much... finally our light turns green.... and nothing... no tires squealing no exhausts roaring, just a nice ease into the intersection and then out of no where he punches it. I react as quickly as I could but I already shifted to 2nd and wasn't in boost. By the time I hit boost he had already let off. I thought to myself, "that sucked!" But guess what. The next light turns red for us... this has got to be some kind of sign.

Now I know he's ready and I threw him a couple revs w/ my stock exhaust just to make sure It did the job cause he looked over and gave me that grin again. I keep thinking, this will be worth a loss just to see that beast fly. Opposite light turns yellow... I build my revs... not too high because I'm not really trying to go all-out. Light turns green! I'm off, I get a decent launch and I'm out in front. I hear his motor roaring but he's still behind me. I run throught first quickly and throw it into 2nd and I'm still in front. I'm thinking he'll be passing me up any time now but I hear the unmistakeable sound of a mis-shift His motor roars out in frustration as I see him getting smaller in my rearview mirror.

He pulls up to me at the next light and we chit-chat a little. I find out that its not supercharged but rather the all-motor one. Not as spectacular as I initially thought but still a very nice looking car. He tells me that he missed 2nd, I told him I could hear it and maybe next he'll get me. He asked me what I had... stock He gave me a thumbs up and we went on our separate paths. A win? I wouldn't consider it a win even though, a race is a race. Overall, not a bad 1st encounter for my wrex. I still haven't seen that guy since we raced... maybe he's taking another way home

Cliffs: Encountered a Saleen but didn't get a clean run... but techincally I won in account of driver error.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

str
    sounds like he was a good sport but it's not your fault he missed second gear. that's his fault.
    2004 Black Forester XT

there is a Saleen mustang in my town. Its red and has that sharp body kit. suprisingly it is owned by an old couple in there 60s or something.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.