WRX vs. XK8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. XK8 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Wrote this for my friends (kind of hyped up hehe), figured I'd post it. I'm stock except for the scoobysport ...

WRX vs. XK8

Wrote this for my friends (kind of hyped up hehe), figured I'd post it. I'm stock except for the scoobysport muffler, which adds more of a fear factor than any horsepower! haha

7:15pm, the stars are out. The traffic, light. I'm cruising south on Jamboree, making my way to the 405. I'm in the slow lane with few cars around me. I'm making my way to Barranca, the light: red.

As I approach the light, I'm thinking...nice, open lane. I had the only open lane available. But to my surprise, a crimson red Jaguar comes flying by me on my left and nearly cuts me off to take the open lane

I kept my cool. But, I wasn't impressed. I approached the guy from behind, morretes lit, engine ready. I revved up my scoobysport *cheezy sound effects here*, so he could hear my frustration. I was ready to dance.

He was eager to go too, half way through the crosswalk (bastard). For the moment, I stared at his car in awe. It was beautiful, sleek, and powerful looking. It was an XK8:

As the light turned green, this guy took off like a bat out of hell. More than 86 percent of its V8 engine´s torque is available from as low as 2,000 rpm. The xk8 is no slouch, with nearly 300 horsepower and 300 torque, my only advantage is the weight factor...I'm nearly 500 pounds lighter.

Being that I was behind him, I had to wait until he went so as not to run him through his ass should I have gotten a good launch (or should he have not taken off at all! haha)

I was already revved up to a decent 3k, so I let the clutch slip. I've had better launches, but I quickly hit the sweet spot and my turbo kicked in. I was hardly 3 cars behind.

I quickly hit first gears rpm limit and shifted to second. This guy was going nowhere on me. Second gear came and went just as fast. And by the time I shifted to third, he moved over a lane! MUAHAHAHAHAHAH...

At that point, I let up. I'll go at it, but I won't do 90 in a 55 zone.

I watched him fade away...My objective complete: To shake him up. What he doesn't know, is that I couldn't take him. Despite him moving over a lane...I was full go, and not gaining on him at all.

But, I stuck to his ass.

Maybe next time he'll think twice about cutting someone off to take the open lane.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

wait...so when you lift off the gas, u were still 3 cars behind him? or were you even with him?

the standard XK8 are not that light on it's feet and it's new 6-sp auto box is actually slower than the previous 5-sp auto that they had. Even the XKR was bugged down by the 6-sp auto to that it's .1-.2 second behind the 5-sp model. They are beautiful cars tho.

Picture you posted is the XKR btw. Notice the hood vent.

Cool story!
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

Originally posted by FrankW
    wait...so when you lift off the gas, u were still 3 cars behind him? or were you even with him?

the standard XK8 are not that light on it's feet and it's new 6-sp auto box is actually slower than the previous 5-sp auto that they had. Even the XKR was bugged down by the 6-sp auto to that it's .1-.2 second behind the 5-sp model. They are beautiful cars tho.

Picture you posted is the XKR btw. Notice the hood vent.

Cool story!
    lol...Thanks for the details. I just found the pic on jaguars site. Figures they'd mess me up. I only saw the car from behind Looked nice though.

I was about 3 cars behind when I started. And about 3 cars behind when I gave up (and shifted to third). I'm stock...but, maybe I should be pulling on him??????

He started pretty hard, which I was kind of amazed with. One thing I didn't mention is that my shift knob is loose...actually slides right off and spins and all...that really f'd my shifting up (it's a momo shift knob)

3k launch is pretty weak, and when you sliped the clutch on top of that you didn't stand a chance. He probably wasn't trying too hard once you you were out of first gear and he still had the lead. The only thing weight has a huge factor in is launching. You could have had him off the launch but there was a small chance in hell you were gonna catch him later.

Btw, good run. It always fun running random cars on the street. I've raced a viper on the street. I stayed even with him until his wheels stopped spinning, @60mph
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby

Originally posted by bobafett
    lol...Thanks for the details. I just found the pic on jaguars site. Figures they'd mess me up. I only saw the car from behind Looked nice though.

I was about 3 cars behind when I started. And about 3 cars behind when I gave up (and shifted to third). I'm stock...but, maybe I should be pulling on him??????

He started pretty hard, which I was kind of amazed with. One thing I didn't mention is that my shift knob is loose...actually slides right off and spins and all...that really f'd my shifting up (it's a momo shift knob)
    I'd say you did just about right. Those XK8 can really get going once rolling because of it's torquey V8. I haven't been paying attention on how quick they can get to the 60 lately. The last I check the XK8 was high 5 to low 6 second. WRX off the line should have no problem with it.

The interesting fact is that the chassi of the XK8 is modified from the old XJS which was designed in 1975. Although not up to date as technology goes for the chassi it's surprising that this chassi has been able to survive in today's world. It really shows that why other company can never really match Jaguar at building a solid chassi until today.

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice kill. I've always liked those cars...very smooth! And the XKR...drool.

Originally posted by zapman
    He probably wasn't trying too hard once you you were out of first gear and he still had the lead. The only thing weight has a huge factor in is launching.
    Weight is just as huge a factor from a roll, if not more so than from a stop! F=ma ownz you.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Originally posted by Integra96
    Nice kill. I've always liked those cars...very smooth! And the XKR...drool.

Weight is just as huge a factor from a roll, if not more so than from a stop! F=ma ownz you.
    I'm gonna agree with zapman here. When going at speed weight became less of a factor at keep accelerating. At speed it's more about power and aero dynamics.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well, of course it's harder to get a heavier object moving than it is to get a lighter one to, but that's assuming both have the same force on them. A 4,000lb. car will go 0-60mph in 0.1 seconds if given enough ooomph. Kinematics will apply to a heavy car from a roll just as much as it will to light car when launching. It's just sort of an intuitive observation that weight "seems" to matter less when up to speed (assuming equal power).

"Did you sleep well?"
    -- Steven Wright

The weight is huge in overcoming the moment of inertia of the car. Yes, its still a factor in acceleration but not nearly as much as the launch. Its alot like friction, it takes more force to break the objext out of static equilibruim than it takes to keep it moving. Sry, if what i'm saying makes no sense, I'm in a dynamic system analysis class right now, I could model it up if you don't beleive me.

Yeah when they have equal power weight does matter, but so does wind resistance, drive train loss.... etc. But given everything is equal but weight the lighter car will win. bobafett was ****ed from a roll in power, aerodynamics, and drivetrain loss.

<=====my old baby

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by zapman
    But given everything is equal but weight the lighter car will win.
    Hehe, exactly what I said.

Are you an engineering major? That systems analysis class sounds tough.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    -- Steven Wright

Yeah, mechanical engineering. I don't mind that class so much, it the classes that analyze the internal forces in beams and trusses and ****, that kick my ass.

<=====my old baby

I Support ClubWRX
    Ouch, those sound like brutal courses. Then again, I don't know why I subject myself to that much torture in school, either.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    -- Steven Wright

Whats your major?

<=====my old baby

I Support ClubWRX
    Molecular bioscience
    "Did you sleep well?"
    -- Steven Wright

damn.....