Checked out the new GTO today

This is a discussion on Checked out the new GTO today within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Didn't get to drive it though. My first impression, this thing looks alot better than in the magazines. Then I ...

Checked out the new GTO today

Didn't get to drive it though.

My first impression, this thing looks alot better than in the magazines. Then I sat inside. WOW! Those are the best sport seats I've ever sat in. They feel better than the seats in my brother's E46 M3. Very impressive especially for a GM. The interior was really nice too for a Pontiac, guage cluster is very attractive looking.

Then I cranked it up, gave it a little gas and holy sh!t does that thing sound good. I was thinking with only one exhaust pipe, that it might not sound very good. Boy was I wrong. Nice low rumble and a lot louder than I expected.

The only bad part was the dealership had it marked up $5000 and it was an automatic. Still would've been fun to take it out for spin.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper." Ben Franklin

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

they are pretty good, since Pontiac didnt build them (Holden), and they do have dual exhaust.

Originally posted by Pirana
    they are pretty good, since Pontiac didnt build them (Holden), and they do have dual exhaust.
    Exactly. It seems as if the best American cars cheaper than a Corvette actually come from other countries (haha, just kidding). But like Pirana said, if you look at some diagrams of the GTO, it has a true dual-exhaust, it's just that both tips are on the same side of the rear bumper.

Originally posted by Pirana
    Guess I didn't pay too much attention to the rear end.

I like 'em, first Poncho in a long while I can say that about.
    02 WRX Wagon Silver SOLD
    03 Cobra Satin Silver, twin screwed, cammed, ported, nasty

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    what are they going for?
    2003 SRT-4

Originally posted by StoplightWarrior
    what are they going for?
    Bastards at Sunrise had it with a 5k markup....so 38k, but most places will be 33

str
    I have to say that I'm not a fan of the new GTO. I think it looks ugly on the outside and in. I may be a bit biased because my buddy has 1968 GTO and the new one looks like a Grand Prix to me.
    2004 Black Forester XT

Originally posted by str
    I have to say that I'm not a fan of the new GTO. I think it looks ugly on the outside and in. I may be a bit biased because my buddy has 1968 GTO and the new one looks like a Grand Prix to me.
    When the new "GTO" was announced, the GTO fan club web site was so ticked that it wasn't even close, that they put a picture of the next generation Mustang on their site to make a point.

Imagine that, a GTO web site with the picture of the new Mustang on it.

This new GTO is a performer, but in typical GM fashion, it will not sell and look like a rental car.
    Scott in Houston

American muscle... made in Australia...
    It's not dark yet, but it's getting there.

Originally posted by str
    And your buddy's 68 GTO looked just like a Pontiac Lemans/Tempest back then...

Neary every BMW and Mercedes and Porsche looks similar to other vehicles in their respective lines as well. Many car manufacturers do this type of "branding". Some better than others, of course.

I'll admit I'm disappointed that the GTO didn't come along with more distinct styling, but I'm happy that Pontiac/GM was able to bring the Holden to our market place.

If Pontiac had called it nearly anything else other than a GTO, there wouldn't be so much negative talk about the bland styling. And if they had called it anything else, they'd be missing out on a ton of interest and potential sales that the mere name "GTO" brings about.

At least they didn't call it a Fiero or J1000!
    Last edited by Dan00Hawk; 02-09-2004 at 11:50 AM.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

"Powered by American Muscle!.....the LS1!"
    2001 Formula
    11.40@119 (N/A)
    $1,700 in mods (head&cam)
    10.90@129 MPH (NOS)
    Stock 12.94@107MPH

Re: Checked out the new GTO today

Originally posted by aheineken
    Didn't get to drive it though.

My first impression, this thing looks alot better than in the magazines. Then I sat inside. WOW! Those are the best sport seats I've ever sat in. They feel better than the seats in my brother's E46 M3. Very impressive especially for a GM. The interior was really nice too for a Pontiac, guage cluster is very attractive looking.

Then I cranked it up, gave it a little gas and holy sh!t does that thing sound good. I was thinking with only one exhaust pipe, that it might not sound very good. Boy was I wrong. Nice low rumble and a lot louder than I expected.

The only bad part was the dealership had it marked up $5000 and it was an automatic. Still would've been fun to take it out for spin.
    you thought the seats were better than the M3 seats? I didnt think the seats were that good at all, but the dash layout wasnt too bad. I dont know, the car just kinda reminds of of a beefed up GP, with similar plastics. I cant believe they price it that high, i am not an american car man, but i would so much rather be willing to spend money on a WS-6 than a GTO or maybe even a 2 y/o vette.

Re: Re: Checked out the new GTO today

Originally posted by DTR maxima
    you thought the seats were better than the M3 seats? I didnt think the seats were that good at all, but the dash layout wasnt too bad. I dont know, the car just kinda reminds of of a beefed up GP, with similar plastics. I cant believe they price it that high, i am not an american car man, but i would so much rather be willing to spend money on a WS-6 than a GTO or maybe even a 2 y/o vette.
    Maybe not quite as good as the M3s, I was probably exaggerating a bit, but the seats were very impressive.

Re: Re: Re: Checked out the new GTO today

Originally posted by aheineken
    Maybe not quite as good as the M3s, I was probably exaggerating a bit, but the seats were very impressive.
    i liked them better than the vette seats, but the seating position is kinda annoying.