Ran a new porsche turbo today!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Ran a new porsche turbo today!! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was behind him at the stoplight...he was first in line...When the light turned green, he took off normally, but ...

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar

Ran a new porsche turbo today!!

I was behind him at the stoplight...he was first in line...When the light turned green, he took off normally, but I let 1st gear get pretty high in the RPMs and with the cutout open, its definitely LOUD. I saw the guy glance in his rearview and I was still in first...He jumps on it, I see the carbon come out his tips, and Im glued to his bumper...when I shift to 3rd he put about 1/2 car on me....we took it to about 80mph and then I had to brake cause my turn was coming up and I was already late for work I gave him the peace sign and was definitely very happy that I hung with him from 20-80 It was one of the latest models, in like a graphite color and just said "turbo" on the rear.
    2003 SRT-4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

w00t!
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

Thumbs up

Very sweet!

I've had two run ins w/ the most recent 911 turbos: 1st was in the Hawk during the summer, and I pretty much stayed on the guy's bumper on an onramp up to about 130 mph. Red turbo with an older 55 ish guy and his wife. I didn't have enough oomph to pass, but just enough to hang tight. I was happy .

The other was at the track in the WRX also during the summer. I was even for maybe the 1st 90 feet, and then watched him tear away and click off a 12.0 at 118 mph to my 13.4. Silver turbo owned by a local Chicago DJ (DJ Markski).

Definitely fun cars to watch put the speed down in a hurry, and quite humbling if they leave you in their dust.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Originally posted by Dan00Hawk
    Very sweet!

I've had two run ins w/ the most recent 911 turbos: 1st was in the Hawk during the summer, and I pretty much stayed on the guy's bumper on an onramp up to about 130 mph. Red turbo with an older 55 ish guy and his wife. I didn't have enough oomph to pass, but just enough to hang tight. I was happy .

The other was at the track in the WRX also during the summer. I was even for maybe the 1st 90 feet, and then watched him tear away and click off a 12.0 at 118 mph to my 13.4. Silver turbo owned by a local Chicago DJ (DJ Markski).

Definitely fun cars to watch put the speed down in a hurry, and quite humbling if they leave you in their dust.
    damn if they trap 118 I'd be left wayyyy back...Im trapping 111 TOPS...likely 108-110 with the mods I have now.
    2003 SRT-4

Re: Ran a new porsche turbo today!!

Originally posted by StoplightWarrior
    I was behind him at the stoplight...he was first in line...When the light turned green, he took off normally, but I let 1st gear get pretty high in the RPMs and with the cutout open, its definitely LOUD. I saw the guy glance in his rearview and I was still in first...He jumps on it, I see the carbon come out his tips, and Im glued to his bumper...when I shift to 3rd he put about 1/2 car on me....we took it to about 80mph and then I had to brake cause my turn was coming up and I was already late for work I gave him the peace sign and was definitely very happy that I hung with him from 20-80 It was one of the latest models, in like a graphite color and just said "turbo" on the rear.

Nice, good job!

Like I've said over and over, anything can happen on the street. The Porsche Turbo is the only car that has beaten me on the street so far. Not a bad car to get beat buy.

He was having fun, but not trying to race you. 911 Turbos are much faster than a basically stock LS1. I raced a 99 (I think) LS1 the other day and from 15 to 90 mph, I put at least 6 car lengths on him.

LS1's aren't slow, but the Twin Turbo is a lot faster.

Don't take this as a rip or anything bad, I'm just clarifying.
    Scott in Houston

Re: Re: Ran a new porsche turbo today!!

Originally posted by Scott n Houston
    He was having fun, but not trying to race you. 911 Turbos are much faster than a basically stock LS1. I raced a 99 (I think) LS1 the other day and from 15 to 90 mph, I put at least 6 car lengths on him.

LS1's aren't slow, but the Twin Turbo is a lot faster.

Don't take this as a rip or anything bad, I'm just clarifying.
    no, he was in it, and like I said, he put a 1/2 length on me...Also, we only took it up to 80. Carbon rips out your pipes when you've gunned it...I saw the tell tale black smoke, and he kept checking me in his rearview. I've done some mods since my last dyno, also...

Also, its the streets, not the track, this is what makes things interesting
    2003 SRT-4

he was prolly just short shifting and giving enough gas to stay out in front, that car hits 100 in under 10 seconds. Ginormous pull. traps high teens.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

hmmmmmmm...... those are high 11 sec cars stock. i cant really see an LS1 with mild bolt ons keeping up. not saying your lying, but he either couldnt drive, or he wasnt giving it his all. he should have pulled several cars on you, not half a car. unless your new *undyno'ed* mods are a supercharger or something.

Re: Re: Ran a new porsche turbo today!!

Originally posted by DTR maxima
    hmmmmmmm...... those are high 11 sec cars stock. i cant really see an LS1 with mild bolt ons keeping up. not saying your lying, but he either couldnt drive, or he wasnt giving it his all. he should have pulled several cars on you, not half a car. unless your new *undyno'ed* mods are a supercharger or something.
    lol, no nothing like that...im not going that route again. I should be at about 340rwhp now...

But again, I'm certainly not making this up...Also, he definitely got on it when he noticed I was right on his @ss...why would he just let out even when I was still hanging? Doesnt make sense to me...

lol I would probably call BS on this race also if not for the fact that I participated in it...

Also, I've driven MANY fast cars...from modded WRX's to c5's to supercharged GT mustangs to 03 cobras to built 60s muscle cars, to small, lightweight 510s with crate engines, to my current ls1...and all I can say is this car is strong! The torque curve peaks at 335ft lbs at 1800rpm and sits there til redline! LS1's have PULL. Its not like in a wrx where the car rockets off and slowly dies out, or in a blown GT where the car pulls and pulls a little more and then as boost climbs so does HP and finally at 5500rpm you're at peak power......

the ls1 is a new driving experience.
    2003 SRT-4

Re: Re: Re: Ran a new porsche turbo today!!

lol, no nothing like that...im not going that route again. I should be at about 340rwhp now...

But again, I'm certainly not making this up...Also, he definitely got on it when he noticed I was right on his @ss...why would he just let out even when I was still hanging? Doesnt make sense to me...

lol I would probably call BS on this race also if not for the fact that I participated in it...

Also, I've driven MANY fast cars...from modded WRX's to c5's to supercharged GT mustangs to 03 cobras to built 60s muscle cars, to small, lightweight 510s with crate engines, to my current ls1...and all I can say is this car is strong! The torque curve peaks at 335ft lbs at 1800rpm and sits there til redline! LS1's have PULL. Its not like in a wrx where the car rockets off and slowly dies out, or in a blown GT where the car pulls and pulls a little more and then as boost climbs so does HP and finally at 5500rpm you're at peak power......

the ls1 is a new driving experience.

You definately going to get a lot of people calling B.S. because on paper a stockish LS1 doesn't stand a chance racing a new Porshe Turbo.

415hp - 3388 lbs - more hp and weighs less than an LS1
    6 speed
    0-60 - 3.9 sec
    0-100mph 8.9 sec
    1/4 mile 11.9 @ 116 mph

But just because a new Porshe Turbo is capable of these times, that doesn't mean the car you raced was going that fast. Driver skill, gear selection, etc, etc, are all important parts of any race. My neighbor has a Porshe Turbo and he drives it about once every 6 months. He would be lucky to run high 12s in it.

So I for one I believe your story. I've beaten many cars that should have been faster than me.

You should hit the track and see what she runs. With your HP/Torque numbers, I would expect high 12s @ 107 - 109mph.
    I know a guy who drives an LS1 Z28 M6
    His mods are headers, catback exhaust, Direct flow intake lid, and drag radials. He ran a 12.9 @ 108 mph just the other night.

yup, race one once, and got killed badly,,,
    PE1818 and FMIC is no match for those 3.6TT
    my car is slow,,,,,, very slow.

let me say that on paper:

Porsche Turbo > LS1 w/ bolt ons...

but, on the streets, that is not always the case.
    2003 SRT-4

Yea like taching out the twin turbo water cooled flat 6.... it really sounds like a lack in effort.

Stoplight have you dynoed your car? what kind of boltons do u have?
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

Just for the record. I drive a 2002 Twin Turbo, and I believe ya. What others said is very true. If he was in wrong gear, or something else, it could easily happen. I've had times where I didn't down shift when I should, or something and let slower cars hang for a while with me. It happens.

And in a straight line, there are modded cars that can out accelerate me. The 996 Turbo isn't made for just stop light racing and straight line racing. It's a combination of wicked fast power, and the best handling available.

Here's my car:

Scott in Houston

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast