Porshe Carrera vs STi
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Porshe Carrera vs STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've been playing games with this guy for about 3 months on my way to work. He is an extremely ...

Porshe Carrera vs STi

I've been playing games with this guy for about 3 months on my way to work. He is an extremely aggressive driver. He's tries to race me everytime he see's me. But I always back down because there is too much traffic. This guy doesn't care about traffic. He's really hard core if you know what I mean. Pretty rare for a guy driving a new Carrera.

Well this morning we were both in the right place at the right time. We got about an 1/8th of a mile of clear road and I went for it.

I let him make the move at about 35mph and that gave him a good 1 car jump on me right from the start. But after that, I very slowly inched up on him. Through 3rd and 4th gear I continued to slowly reel him in. By the timr he let off 95mph or so I brought my front end even with his rear bumper. So you can see it was a close race. So over all, I probably pulled about 1/2- 1 car on him during the race. Thats it. But he was still technically in front of me when he let off.
    I consider it a win for me, but he may feel differently.
    One thing that I'm sure of is this Carrera was noticeably faster than the last one I raced? Mod? Maybe, I don't know.

The best part was after being mean , nasty, sob's to each other in traffic for months, we gave each other the peace sign and a smile to say, good race.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You should come up with a biography of your street racing life. You have more intereseting street racing stories than anyone else

Good race by the way.

Was it a newer model (996) Carrera?
    If so, in a straight line the STi and the C2 are virtually even and it would matter more on the driver having the right gear, etc.

I doubt he had any mods. 996's are not easy to mod. In fact, some mods have actually been shown to hurt the acceleration such as exhaust changes, etc.
    There is a super charger mod for it, but if he had that, you wouldn't have been pulling and it wouldn't have been very close.

The C2 is about a high 4 second car to 60 stock and low to mid 13's stock. Isn't that virtually the same as the STi?

Porsches standard C2s are fast, but they do their best when the road isn't straight. One reason you don't see many that want to race from a stop light or down the freeway is that reason. There are a lot of cars that are less $ that can beat it in a straight line, and the last thing the driver wants is someone bragging about beating a Porsche.

The previous one you raced may have been an automatic. They are considerably slower.
    Scott in Houston

SGOS STi has a few more mods on it since he ran his 13.Doh... So giving the Carrera the hit would be equivalent to about a .4 to .5 sec head start and the car length. Reeling him back in to to being one car length behind in a short stretch is impressive, to say the least.

Glad you didn't do the ricer flyby just to get in front. Nice run!

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Originally posted by Scott n Houston
    Was it a newer model (996) Carrera?
    If so, in a straight line the STi and the C2 are virtually even and it would matter more on the driver having the right gear, etc.

I doubt he had any mods. 996's are not easy to mod. In fact, some mods have actually been shown to hurt the acceleration such as exhaust changes, etc.
    There is a super charger mod for it, but if he had that, you wouldn't have been pulling and it wouldn't have been very close.

The C2 is about a high 4 second car to 60 stock and low to mid 13's stock. Isn't that virtually the same as the STi?

Porsches standard C2s are fast, but they do their best when the road isn't straight. One reason you don't see many that want to

race from a stop light or down the freeway is that reason. There are a lot of cars that are less $ that can beat it in a straight line, and the last thing the driver wants is someone bragging about beating a Porsche.

The previous one you raced may have been an automatic. They are considerably slower.

Yes, it was a new Carrera (non turbo). It was very fast. We were very closely matched.
    I'm now running a high performance boost controller (16 psi), full catless exhaust, and a Blitz intake. So I'm definately faster than stock STi.

I seriously dought a stock STi would have been able to keep up.

With good driving I should be able to pull 12.6-12.8 @ 105- 107mph. I hope to get to the track real soon. I'm watching the weather for tomarrow (Saturday), but its suppose to rain in the morning.

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    Yes, it was a new Carrera (non turbo). It was very fast. We were very closely matched.
    I'm now running a high performance boost controller (16 psi), full catless exhaust, and a Blitz intake. So I'm definately faster than stock STi.

I seriously dought a stock STi would have been able to keep up.

With good driving I should be able to pull 12.6-12.8 @ 105- 107mph. I hope to get to the track real soon. I'm watching the weather for tomarrow (Saturday), but its suppose to rain in the morning.

Yeah, that makes sense. I believe the stock C2 is faster than a stock STi by a small margin.

Your car sounds awesome!
    Scott in Houston

OF course you WON!

Maybe just stating the obvious here but . . .

For about 1/4 of the cost of that Porsche your STi also has 4 doors, AWD, a trunk, a much lower cost of ownership, heck maybe even better insurance rates! Not to metion a top crash rating from the IIHS and NTHSA!!

You had him beat when you drove your STi of the lot.

My $0.02.
    2008 Audi A4 Avant 2.0T
    2003 Subaru WRX Cobb Stg 2
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6
    1984 Porsche 928S

Nice job! New Carrera's trap around 105, so that sounds about right. I ran one a couple months ago, waxed him, and he wasn't too happy about it, no peace sign for me LOL
    '02 Dakota 5.9 R/T
    Intercooled Novi-2K

hey what part of philly are u from bad350rt? im originally from drexel hill and my gf lives in media.

hey what part of philly are u from bad360rt? im originally from drexel hill and my gf lives in media. sweet truck btw

Huntington Valley right now, lived in Bensalem and South Philly (never again LOL) for a while. I work in NE Philly.

Thanks, I'm hitting the track tomorrow, see if I can crack an 11 on the stock block before I do heads/cam
    '02 Dakota 5.9 R/T
    Intercooled Novi-2K

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.