RSTi vs Cobra
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on RSTi vs Cobra within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I recently got my car back from getting the engine swap with an JDM STi engine and transmission. I didn't ...

RSTi vs Cobra

I recently got my car back from getting the engine swap with an JDM STi engine and transmission. I didn't really know what to expect from the swap, but I knew it would be fast.

The manager at the place that I work has a 95-97 Cobra that is all motor putting out around 370 hp to the wheels. Since I just got my car back I was feeling kind of saucy, so I asked him to race me. I didn't think I would win. I only wanted to see how bad I would lose.

Last night we finally got the chance to race and this is how it turned out. We started from a 30-40 mph roll and he got the jump on me (damn low end torque). He said he went up to around 120 mph before he shut down, and by this time he had about only 2-3 car lengths on me. I was surprised that I wasn't beaten by bus lengths. It was a good race and I hope I can race him again from a stop to see how it turns out.

BTW can anyone guesstimate how much power I am putting to the ground by how close the race was? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What type of JDM Sti motor is it? What year, is it a type RA spec C, etc etc.

If it's a bone stock regular JDM Sti I would say you're making around 230-250whp. Hard to say really.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    first off, if he's "all motor" then it must be a 5.0...in which case, its a 94 or 95...

second, again, if he's "all motor" he's likely making no more than 300 to the wheels.

Sounds like this guy is "all ricer" to me...I call BS until he posts a dyno sheet.
    2003 SRT-4

Stoplight.......I know quite a few 5.0's that are producing well over 300whp all motor. I myself had an 89 LX 5.0 and produced 375whp at a local shop's dyno. So it is not a surpise if his Cobra is producing those numbers. One of my old mustang buddies has an 88 GT and his is laying down close to 400whp all motor and is running mid to high 12's.
    2004 WRB Cobb Stage II WRX
    220whp 210wtq

man you can produce serious numbers on an all motor v-8 with the right amount of work boring it out will make serious numbers
    if its not fast it better be a show car

Originally posted by StoplightWarrior
    first off, if he's "all motor" then it must be a 5.0...in which case, its a 94 or 95...

second, again, if he's "all motor" he's likely making no more than 300 to the wheels.

Sounds like this guy is "all ricer" to me...I call BS until he posts a dyno sheet.
    Why does it have to be a 5.0 if its all motor

There are plenty of 4.6 stangs making 300+ na.

I believe Bob Cosby is running low 11's on his na 01 cobra...
    2000 Mustang GT - 620hp/500tq

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Originally posted by v6killer
    Why does it have to be a 5.0 if its all motor

There are plenty of 4.6 stangs making 300+ na.

I believe Bob Cosby is running low 11's on his na 01 cobra...
    it doesnt have to be, but unless this guy is really into his sh1t, its gonna be a 5.0...also, yes there are 5.0s making over 300na but its hard to do on a street car.
    2003 SRT-4

Originally posted by StoplightWarrior
    it doesnt have to be, but unless this guy is really into his sh1t, its gonna be a 5.0...also, yes there are 5.0s making over 300na but its hard to do on a street car.
    If he has 370rwhp na then I would think he is really into his ****

Im not arguing that its easier on a 5.0, but I just wouldnt jump to the conclusion that it is one.
    2000 Mustang GT - 620hp/500tq

He had is motor stroked and bored from 4.6 to 5.0. He went from 320 to 370 whp. I have seen the dyno sheet myself, so I kknow it is legit.

BTW I have an STI V2 555 motor with 2.5 in downpipe, 16g (small), no cats, and running 17psi.
    Last edited by custus; 02-20-2004 at 02:34 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Not to be picky but if it's a Mod (4.6 Origanal base displacment) it has to be a 96 or 97) So really it does take alot to get a Mod motor into that range without a power adder simply because there are NO aftermarket Heads for them. The only ones I've ever seen are PI heads which of O.E. on 99 newer but I think those are for the 2v motor not the 4v in a cobra. I'm not saying it's impossible to put those kind of numbers down in that car, just unlikely w/o a power adder or some sort. If he went N/A he also has alot more money tied up in to it then you do probaly. Oh well I'm really surprise that the cobra gave you that much of a run, watch out for any LS1.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Originally posted by jdmpwrdr
    Stoplight.......I know quite a few 5.0's that are producing well over 300whp all motor. I myself had an 89 LX 5.0 and produced 375whp at a local shop's dyno. So it is not a surpise if his Cobra is producing those numbers. One of my old mustang buddies has an 88 GT and his is laying down close to 400whp all motor and is running mid to high 12's.
    Hell i am running mid 12's with my four banger!

and when did this become a mustang forum?

the argument is moot!!!
    Stage IV+
    Going for 11's

u will win from a stop.
    LISC #1
    05 STi - 300whp 331wtq 1/4 - 12.7 @107.4 (SOLD)
    06 Evo IX 370whp 386wtq (Under Construction)

Originally posted by 302@12psi
    Not to be picky but if it's a Mod (4.6 Origanal base displacment) it has to be a 96 or 97) So really it does take alot to get a Mod motor into that range without a power adder simply because there are NO aftermarket Heads for them. The only ones I've ever seen are PI heads which of O.E. on 99 newer but I think those are for the 2v motor not the 4v in a cobra. I'm not saying it's impossible to put those kind of numbers down in that car, just unlikely w/o a power adder or some sort. If he went N/A he also has alot more money tied up in to it then you do probaly. Oh well I'm really surprise that the cobra gave you that much of a run, watch out for any LS1.
    Just a little fyi,

He said a cobra, you are right about the 96-97gt though. They will need PI or SVO heads to reach low 300rwhp. That's the exact reason why I went with my cobra motor *easier to reach the mark*.

Also 370rwhp is on the lower average for the big bore cars, most are around 400+ but that does include cams. You really don't have to port the heads since they flow very well from the factory. So many things you can do with so little money
    Last edited by Blaizon; 02-20-2004 at 10:54 AM.
    Blaiz
    32vGT

MOD MAX makes aftermarket cyl. heads for 4.6,
    recently made 325 whp with them. stock displacement...regular exhaust modifications...with good cams..
    cz
    05 SMG M3
    04' WRX
    01' M5
    soontobetwinturboE92

Originally posted by WRX=Imprezzed
    MOD MAX makes aftermarket cyl. heads for 4.6,
    recently made 325 whp with them. stock displacement...regular exhaust modifications...with good cams..
    cz
    I'm not aware of Modmax making heads. I know they make valvetrain components. It's pretty much a waste to buy heads for a 4.6 though. If you have a 96-98 then you upgrade to 99+ heads/intake. If you have 99+ you get your existing heads ported and add cams *and necessary equipment for them*...this is speaking of the GT only.

If you have a cobra, you just work the stock heads and add cams *pretty pricey*. Totally off topic, what are 02 wrx's going for used of course? I've been thinking about getting one lately but not sure what to look for.
    Blaiz
    32vGT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.