WRX vs. Saab 9-3 Viggen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. Saab 9-3 Viggen within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well, last week I took my roommate up to Dallas to pick up his new car. It was a cira ...

WRX vs. Saab 9-3 Viggen

Well, last week I took my roommate up to Dallas to pick up his new car. It was a cira 99 9-3 Viggen. Of course I can take him off the line and maybe up until 80 mph. Anyways, driving home late at night, we decide to test our high end power. he counts down to three and punches the Viggen. I downshift into 4th from 75mph. Already he is pulling on my very hard. I couldn't catch up to him. We shut it down once he reached 115mph and I shut down at 120mph. I called him on the cell phone and asked if he downshifted. He said no and can probably pull on Corvettes. Anything can do to make my top end power stronger?
    2002 Impreza WRX
    Plat Silv Metallic

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

LOL

I used to have a Saab 900 SE, and it was peppy as hell. I could pull on Prelude V-Tech's with no problem. I also pulled on new Maxima's after 30 mph. Now, this car was quick. But i will guarantee, if u know how to drive your WRX, you should atleast stay with them. If you were going 75, you should have down****ed LIGHTLY into Third gear, and then mash it down and shift into 4th at about 90. 3rd gear is much stronger than 4th, so dont use 4th unless u are 90+ if racing. Also, i just put in an uppipe and downpipe and let me tell you, it makes a BIG difference. Do it if you can, helps a bunch. Your car will pull all the way to redline, and i dont even have a MBC. SO try to race yoru friend again, but this time put it in third, see if you have better luck, and keep me updated, cause im curious too.

-Bobby D

Since you are at 75 already, it is better off you just punch it at 4th. Because you have to shift down and shift up again.

The Viggen is a really nice car. I considered it in that blue color (love it in that color). I chose an S4 instead cause I hear the Viggen has a ton of torque steer. Supposedly the 9-5 Aero which uses the same engine does not have that same torque steer due to a heavier more stable frame. I do love the look of both cars though.

Smile

If you really want to have high end power you need to replace the turbo but first

1. Up Pipe
    2. Pulley Kit (really helps)
    3. Some kind of ECU (My pref is now the Link ECU) but a tuned Unichip is good enough.
    4. Samco hoses can't hurt and are relatively inexpensive.
    5. Some kind of boost controller - I have a manual that works fine but if you get a larger turbo then maybe an electronic one is better so you can have two profiles, one track and one street
    6. Fuel Injectors, the STi ones aren't too expensive.
    7. Rising Rate Fuel pump.
    8. Turbo - this is what determines where your center of power is. If you get something really big like a PE 1820 your car will be a dog driving around town, but on the high end - wow. The current "rave" is to get a VF30 or VF34 (what the STi uses). This has more high end without sacraficing the low end. Cobb has a new series of turbos out that are supposed to enlarge the "curve" where the turbo power comes from...anyway new turbo for high end.

--OR Turbo XS stage IV ($3800)

--Optional--
    The following will help, but in my mind the cost is excessive for most of us.

1. Tubro Back exhaust
    2. TEC III or other advanced ECU
    3. FMIC or air-liquid IC
    4. Lots of big yellow stickers

Good Luck.

If you were cruising along in fifth at 75mph and you wanted to race, you should have downshifted into 3rd gear which is good to about 90mph, then to fourth. When fourth feels like it's not pulling any more, put it in fifth (I think this is around 120mph).

Even still the 9-3 Viggen has 2.3L DOHC four-cylinder with 230HP, is more aerodynamic, and probably lighter than the WRX. I'm not surprised the Viggen won if the WRX is stock.

Get a MBC and race him from a standing start. He'll never catch up. As far as top end upgrades, all breathing mods: Samco IC hoses, uppipe, downpipe and/or full exhaust.

-Jim

Well, the only aftermarket part I had when we took off was an Injen Cold Air Intake...He is pissed right now b/c when CarMax trailered the car from Chicago, the bumper was so low that it got pulled off when they were trying to unload it. On paper, the two cars look like they would be god up against each other.

Here are the 0-60 times:
    WRX: 5.8sec
    Viggen: 6.5 sec

Oh and the Viggen top speed is 155mph. The thing my roommate hates the most is te torque steer. I told him I don't get that
    The beauty of all wheel drive.
    2002 Impreza WRX
    Plat Silv Metallic

Yeah,

All the magazine complained about the intrusive torque steer of the Viggen. I feel the same way about it when I drive my sister's SE-R. I am sooo spoiled by my WRX!

-Jim

that CAI is prolly hurting your power rather than helping it. get a short ram, or just get a K&N panel for the stock system.

otherwise what plat said.

dR

So the Injen CAI does not work as well as a modded stock box?
    2002 Impreza WRX
    Plat Silv Metallic

Originally posted by DevDog8542
    He is pissed right now b/c when CarMax trailered the car from Chicago, the bumper was so low that it got pulled off when they were trying to unload it
    Carmax did the same thing to my WRX. I made them take the car to an offsite professional bodyshop and repair/respray the entire front bumper. Mine didn't get ripped off, the lower lip was scratched.
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

I too raced a 9-3 Viggen

My friend has one and we lined up at a light and I had the most terrible launch.... the car did that lil bog but he spun tires so it gave me time to pull out and i had half a car when i got into 2nd and then i shifted into 3rd to prevent redlining while i reached for the hazard button... which is abnormally high... the 2003 should have it on the shifter for easy access to a button i tend to use alot.... any suggestions on replacing that... its getting old
    The most important mod is the girl in the passenger seat

Silver 2002 WRX Short-Shift 5 Spd

Re: I too raced a 9-3 Viggen

Originally posted by Soobasaurus Rex
    i reached for the hazard button... which is abnormally high... the 2003 should have it on the shifter for easy access to a button i tend to use alot.... any suggestions on replacing that... its getting old
    Yeah, stop using it. I can't stand when people do that. ESPECIALLY in a street race. I don't think people should be racing on the streets, but it happens. Most of the time, people race from a roll on a highway. Just about every time, one of the people will stop racing and the other will fly by and throw on the flashers. What exactly does that prove? Your car is faster than the other car while he is braking? I am not slamming you Soobasaurus, I just don't like the practice of people using the hazzards to designate a win. More important than reaching for flashers, stay safe out there.

i usually race on the highway... the only time i use my hazards is when someone is really ragging on me before a light or trashing me.... ill throw on the hazards cause im to lazy to slow down and talk to them if they even will but for the most part i wont throw on my hazards... i too hate when people just do it on a fly by... i agree with you.. no offense taken...
    The most important mod is the girl in the passenger seat

Silver 2002 WRX Short-Shift 5 Spd

Originally posted by Soobasaurus Rex
    i usually race on the highway... the only time i use my hazards is when someone is really ragging on me before a light or trashing me.... ill throw on the hazards cause im to lazy to slow down and talk to them if they even will but for the most part i wont throw on my hazards... i too hate when people just do it on a fly by... i agree with you.. no offense taken...
    Cool. Do you split your time in FL and CT? Are you going to school. Hope to see you around CT, I live in Hamden.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast