me with a vw - don't laugh

This is a discussion on me with a vw - don't laugh within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was finally after to catch a race this afternoon in broad daylight. I had just made a left turn ...

me with a vw - don't laugh

I was finally after to catch a race this afternoon in broad daylight. I had just made a left turn onto a major street when a silver car speeds up to my side and lets off a loud "psssssh". I look over and its a clean looking vw with body kit, rims, and exhaust. He speeds up a little and I follow, low and behold we catch a fresh red light and both get on the brakes hard. I asked him if he wanted to go and he agreed. To be honest I was really intimidated and assumed that this was the usual chipped/exhaust vw at the least. I was so nervous I don't even remember if it was a golf, gti, or even a jetta. I asked what turbo he had, he says "no turbo", something about a wastegate mod? Perhaps it was a gti vr6. So we are at the redlight revving at a full intersection(bad idea). I take off hard and get about two carlenghts on him. Up to 70 when I let off he had almost reached my bumper.
    We stop at the next light and both give the thumbs up. He was a real cool guy and friendly about the whole thing. I'm sure if he didn't have his passenger, the result may have been different. According to him, his car barely had any power mods
    Last edited by jungdragon; 01-31-2004 at 05:38 PM.
    03 wrx
    karboy ss/bushings, blitz dtt, catless, prodrive axleback

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

umm... wastegate is a part of the turbo... how do you mod a wastegate on a non turbo car?
    and if it makes the loud psssh that's either a blow of valve or the little speaker box under the hood.
    "Does this look like a Q to you?"
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

I asked him several times if he had a turbo but he kept insisting that his car did not have one. Maybe he meant he was running the stock turbo with a wastegate mod and not an aftermarket.
    03 wrx

you can allways have a suepr charger with a blow off
    if its not fast it better be a show car

Originally posted by jungdragon
    Maybe he meant he was running the stock turbo with a wastegate mod and not an aftermarket.
    yes, this was more than likely the scenerio. a vr6 would not keep up with a wrx off the line unless HEAVILY modded with n/a or boosted, and you dont find to many boosted vr6's. if he kept up with you like that from a dig he was probably the typrical 1.8T with chip/intake/exhaust, like you said.

Originally posted by DTR maxima
    yes, this was more than likely the scenerio. a vr6 would not keep up with a wrx off the line unless HEAVILY modded with n/a or boosted, and you dont find to many boosted vr6's. if he kept up with you like that from a dig he was probably the typrical 1.8T with chip/intake/exhaust, like you said.

my vr-6 is boosted but still from a dig a wrx will rip me one intill about the middle of 2n then its see ya

I bet he had a 1.8t and was trying to say that he didn't have a turbo upgrade. If he had a turbo VR6 then he would have pulled really hard after the initial launch.

The other possibility is that he had a 2.0 with a turbo kit and was trying to be slick by saying he didn't have a turbo.
    Run Forest, Run
    04 Java Black 5Mt XT

WRX
    Wow, a cool Vdub owner.

I'm referring to the thread about the VW owners all talkin smack about the WRX.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

Nah he was reaaal cool. He was so eager to race that it really got me scared. Clean looking car too with full kit, bov, exhaust, and I think rims too.
    He said he only had exhaust for power mods but I wouldn't be surprised if he had a chip too. He would have toasted me in the 1/4.
    03 wrx

I'm a dub owner and i respect the rex they are so sick with an mbc and turbo back i am buying a wagon soon