WRX vs. 540i - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on WRX vs. 540i within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by MidnightFLAT4 interior MidNightFLAT4, if you are really thinking about trading in for the 97 540i make sure ...

Originally posted by MidnightFLAT4
    interior
    MidNightFLAT4, if you are really thinking about trading in for the 97 540i make sure you check it out in person.

IMPORTANT!!

BECAUSE the interior shot you posted is from a 2000 540i, NOT a 97 540i with auto. REASON: the 97 540i auto had a 5-speed auto, not a StepTronic 5-spd. The Steptronic only became availiable in 2000.

EDIT: nevermind, I just saw you were only showing how the interior look.
    Last edited by FrankW; 02-01-2004 at 10:03 PM.
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

str
    Most BMW's are limited to a 155mph top speed if I remember correctly. Still a 540 is not has fast as an STI. Can a 540 keep up with an STI over 120mph?, sure, but how many races really end up going that fast?? Very dangerous. Races are so much different from a roll, monmentum is everything.
    2004 Black Forester XT

Im sure a STi would wail on one from a stop, but a roll... hehe you know the outcome... It walks stock LS1's, and jogs away above 120. Im sure an STi would have a similar experience.
    Best part, while the bimmer is pullin away, it will be silent, and you wont see the tailpipes

You see, Pimpness is also a factor that the bimmer wins out.
    Im sure if you chipped the BMW, put some S03's on it gave it european spec parts, youd have yourself one hell of a sport sedan, thats a fraction of the M5's cost.

If you ever have to get somewhere fast, or make up time.
    Just get some Highpowered Xenon lights, and driving beams, as things tend to sneak up on you at 140, while your @ss is being heated by the leather seats

as for perception, the 540 feels smoother at 140 then my car does at 90
    Last edited by MidnightFLAT4; 02-02-2004 at 12:54 PM.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

Originally posted by DTR maxima
    not calling you a liar. just saying it not normal.
    Click on my profile to see the mods. It's all good, I was talking on the phone earlier to Fixxxer, his dad used to have a '96 540 that he would always let us borrow. He has a WRX himself and has ridden in my car several times, I asked him "My WRX vs a 540, who would win from a 70mph roll?" He said without a doubt my car. But you're right, it may not be normal...maybe the guy was a sucky driver or missed a shift.

Originally posted by scoobie1
    Click on my profile to see the mods. It's all good, I was talking on the phone earlier to Fixxxer, his dad used to have a '96 540 that he would always let us borrow. He has a WRX himself and has ridden in my car several times, I asked him "My WRX vs a 540, who would win from a 70mph roll?" He said without a doubt my car. But you're right, it may not be normal...maybe the guy was a sucky driver or missed a shift.
    just for the record 96 E34 540 is not the same as the E39 540 in terms of performance.

Originally posted by str
    Most BMW's are limited to a 155mph top speed if I remember correctly. Still a 540 is not has fast as an STI. Can a 540 keep up with an STI over 120mph?, sure, but how many races really end up going that fast?? Very dangerous. Races are so much different from a roll, monmentum is everything.
    the 540's limited at 147 or 150, can't remember which is correct. All the M's are limited at 155, but rest of the regular BMW varies by model.

I've driven an auto 540 and an M5 fairly extensively. My stage 2 WRX feels faster to me at any speed than the 540 but it is hard to say because the cars are so isolated compared to the WRX. The WRX feels like a tin can compared to the BMW but it also feels much lighter on its feet. The M5 is a whole different animal but also feels heavy around town. Once you wind it out, it shrinks around you and you start to realize how much speed you are putting on. The M5 will destroy about any WRX from a roll but I think you stand a pretty good chance against a 540. Having driven both cars, I wouldn't really want either. They are both just too heavy feeling for my tastes. I haven't driven a new M3 but I think that would be more to my tastes. The 5 series V8's remind me alot of my old Porsche 928S4. That too was a highway monster but fealt heavy around town. That was 320HP and around 3500 LBS IIRC.

Originally posted by scoobie1
    your mods really dont do anything for you in this case. its just odd because the exact oposite should have happened like i stated above. you have a few basic bolt on's and a 6speed 540i 99' like you said, would have a walked an STI at those speeds. so i dunno what to tell ya. good race, but something wasnt right. might have been auto and the older engine, i am not sure.......

Originally posted by samdog
    I've driven an auto 540 and an M5 fairly extensively. My stage 2 WRX feels faster to me at any speed than the 540 but it is hard to say because the cars are so isolated compared to the WRX. The WRX feels like a tin can compared to the BMW but it also feels much lighter on its feet. The M5 is a whole different animal but also feels heavy around town. Once you wind it out, it shrinks around you and you start to realize how much speed you are putting on. The M5 will destroy about any WRX from a roll but I think you stand a pretty good chance against a 540. Having driven both cars, I wouldn't really want either. They are both just too heavy feeling for my tastes. I haven't driven a new M3 but I think that would be more to my tastes. The 5 series V8's remind me alot of my old Porsche 928S4. That too was a highway monster but fealt heavy around town. That was 320HP and around 3500 LBS IIRC.
    Very true. My dad has an 02 540i sport. It is extremely fast bc those big BMW 6s and V8 have gobs of torque no matter what gear you are in at what speed. But they are midsize luxury cars and are heavy. I think from a dig a WRX and 540i would be close but at highway speeds a 540i has the torque and the gearing to beat it by quite a bit. The M5 is a different story, a STi and an M5 would be a more of a fair drag race
    03 Artic Blue Pearl Acura RSX Type S:

i could see an auto being closer to a stage II rex. But the superb autobahn gearing in the 6speed (getrag) allows linear acceleration of a car with much more hp per lb at speeds above 90. the manuals are 13 second cars, the autos are not.
    A 540 should catch a stage II rex around 70 from a dig, and when the rex goes for 4th, the bimmer would break away like randy moss once in full stride.

that 4.4 liter is potent. In a 740IL we managed to womp on my friends auto LT1 Z28 from 40mph roll to about 95 (to the tune of 3 carlengths), but after 100 the Z would take command. But seriously. 282hp 4.4L 4400lb car dishing out some crap to a 285hp 5.7L 3500lb car.
    Worth noting, that from a stop, the big 740 was sluggish, but hit stride at about 40. I doubt the 540 has these issues, as it 1.5 seconds quicker to 60.

That Z28 ran a consistent 14.4 @99-100 with 373 gears as the only mod. Yet from a 40 roll, it was made a b!tch by the luxomobile which is supposed to run 15.0
    Last edited by MidnightFLAT4; 02-05-2004 at 11:13 PM.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.