WRX vs. 540i - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. 540i within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by dangrass The data quoted appears to be for an M5, not a 540. 540's are nowhere close ...

Originally posted by dangrass
    The data quoted appears to be for an M5, not a 540. 540's are nowhere close to the numbers quoted.
    DUHHH, they didnt have M5's in 98.... and besides do u really think that a 400hp 5.0L V8 M5 is gonna run high 13's think again... Its a hoss. That being said, the 282hp 4.4L is no slouch, it puts the 740 sport into the 14's, and the 540 weighs a good 600lbs less. Im not preaching about BMW's but wrx is not a match from a roll.

And i wasnt too sure about the bimmers prowess untill i learned that it passes a 300whp car (LS1) at 120mph... and keeps pulling away until the 155mph electronic speed limiter. Imagine what the M would be like from a roll, i wouldnt be comfortable driving an 03 cobra, and seein the green M5 lights comin up on me...

but cheers, im sure the bimmer was maybe being a little playful, but if you know the facts, this was just the wrx going full throttle, and the bimmer just playin with the right pedal.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not saying bs, because driver variations, conditions, etc are all variables that can change outcomes of races... with that said, from car-stats.com, a 1997 bmw 540i goes 0-120 in 20.4 seconds whereas a stock wrx goes 0-120 in 25.2 seconds..... FWIW
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

I plan on trading my rex for a 1997. 26 grand and falling....
    Could you see yourself behind the wheel???

4.4L V8
    RWD
    6-speed
    Lush interior
    Heated seats
    Sunroof
    very good stock stereo
    LS1 type pull above 70, and heroic 100-150 mph numbers. Brake's to match.

Moddable
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 540black.jpg  
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

interior
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 540 interior.jpg  
    03 MBP WRX Sedan

Originally posted by MidnightFLAT4
    interior
    That interior is missing a manual tranny. Make sure you get the 6 speed. Otherwise, beautiful.

yea i couldnt find the manual tranny pic... all the MT pics i got were of aftermarket luxury interior products.

There would be no way in hell i'd settle for auto
    03 MBP WRX Sedan

wish this pic could be in my avatar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wrxgray.jpg  
    03 MBP WRX Sedan

Originally posted by MidnightFLAT4
    wish this pic could be in my avatar
    Such nice cars. I remember way back in 97 or 98, I was driving my friend's pontiac sunbird. This car was obviously not the fastest in the world, but with its 3.1 L V6, it certainly felt punchy and very quick off the line, surprising as that may be. Well I lined up next to a 540, already knowing that they are REALLY fast. Well, that was my first experience with seeing a 540 pull away VERY quickly. I think I will have to pick one up too

If anyone is interested, I can volunteer my cars for comparisons from a roll. I have an e39 and also have a 2003 WRX and we can trade off driving and compare their 80-130. Maybe we can videotape it.

Originally posted by madmmt
    If anyone is interested, I can volunteer my cars for comparisons from a roll. I have an e39 and also have a 2003 WRX and we can trade off driving and compare their 80-130. Maybe we can videotape it.
    e39 540?

Opps sorry my bad left out the M5. Close enough to a 540 6-sp.

Opps sorry my bad left out the M5. Close enough to a 540 6-sp.
    Well, I'd say its a completely different animal. However, if you ever want to unload it, I would be happy to trade you for a 95 Geo Prizm. Great on gas

what mods does your rex have. even with a stage IV kit, its still probably not worth the gas. and there is a large difference between a 540i and M5. over a full second in the 1/4 mile and over 100hp.

i can wait til i get out of college and hopefully have some money. then i can buy a real car, like an M5 or 540. M5 is my dream car..

to the thread starter: it just kinda sounds odd. what your saying is the exact opposite of what would more than likely happen. you said that you pulled but the faster you went the more you pulled, all the way upto 120mph. if anything, you would have been close right away, and he would proceed to walk you VERY BAD upto 120.

not calling you a liar. just saying it not normal.

Originally posted by dangrass
    er....the data quoted was:

"The 540's raw stats are 0-60 in 5.4 , 1/4 in 13.8"

....your numbers are about right, while the ones quoted were wrong.

both numbers are correct depending on auto or manual or from different magazine.

the M5's much quicker and faster than the 540i. 0-60 in 4.7-8 and 13.2 or faster 1/4 mile.
    Last edited by FrankW; 02-01-2004 at 09:56 PM.
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

judging by the picture scoobie1 provide, the silver 540i in his picture is from 98 or 99.

and the one MidnightFLAT4 posted is from late 99 or 2000.
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.