Raced a GTO!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Raced a GTO!!! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; On my way back from Panda Express( MMMMMMMM ) I was entering the 405fwy when I see a Yellow GTO ...

Raced a GTO!!!

On my way back from Panda Express( MMMMMMMM ) I was entering the 405fwy when I see a Yellow GTO fly by. I was Driving the SRT today, and chased after it. This was about 12:30pm so trafic was minimal at the time.

Long story short, I catch him at about 80mph and gave him the stare and it was on. I down shift to 4th and was even with him. He slightly pulled on me and I ended up at his rear tire when we shut down at about 120. I was with 2 other people in my car cuz we were out for lunch and the other guy was alone. We gave thumbs up and we went on our ways.

GTO's are strong cars from a roll, Now I want to race it with just me in the car.
    Last edited by SRT THIS; 01-27-2004 at 06:54 PM.
    Stg. 0
    -380hp & 437lbs-
    No NOS

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It has a LS-6 what did you expect from a top end race? They will be very strong. Good run.....althrough I would much rather have a 03 04 cobra then a GTo.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

It has a LS-6 what did you expect from a top end race?
    Actually it only has an LS-1, same as the C5 corvettes. 350hp 365lb/ft. If it had an LS-6 it would be insane!
    Stock or something close to it.....

It has a LS-6 what did you expect from a top end race? They will be very strong. Good run.....althrough I would much rather have a 03 04 cobra then a GTo.
    No doubt the LS1 in the GTO would be strong from a roll. Its basically a C5, and it has the 6-spd out of the Z06.

You are mistaking the GTO with the new Cadillac CTS-V which sports the LS6 (Z06 Motor) with 405 HP and 395 torque (the Z06 has 405 hp due to titanium mufflers). That thing should be pretty nasty. Its 0-100 time is 11.4 and runs the 1/4 mile in 13.4. Pretty decent car for about $50,000. Still not the M5 killer that GM promised, but definately a luxury performace car with a price that can't be beat.
    WRX - It's not a rocket. It's a guided missile.

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    I dyno'ed 323rwhp with my ls1 basically stock...watch out for the gtos if they see mods
    2003 SRT-4

I dyno'ed 323rwhp with my ls1 basically stock...watch out for the gtos if they see mods
    SWEET! What mods?

The problem with the GTO's is the same problem that affects the Corvettes, the independant rear end robs to much of the power. Unlike the F-bodies live rear axle. But thats what makes the corvette and the GTO better handlers than the F-bodies.

Its 0-100 time is 11.4 and runs the 1/4 mile in 13.4.
    Not sure where you found that info, but since it traps in the 110mph range in the 1/4 that would mean it takes is 11.4 to get to 100 but 2 full seconds to go another 10mph?? maybe my numbers are wrong though?

Not sure where you found that info, but since it traps in the 110mph range in the 1/4 that would mean it takes is 11.4 to get to 100 but 2 full seconds to go another 10mph?? maybe my numbers are wrong though?

My numbers are straight out of the February 2004 Road and Track. I checked again (because I might have made a typo) but it has the Cadillac CTS-V ( I wasn't talking about the GTO with those specs) with these numbers:
    0-60: 5.0
    0-70: 6.4
    0-80: 8.3
    0-90: 9.4
    0-100: 11.4
    1/4 Mile: 13.4@109.0 mph
    Top Speed: 163 mph

My specs were correct, but I do understand where you are seeing the descrepency, because now that I look closer at the CTS-V's numbers, it is an odd spec that it takes 2 more full seconds to go 9 mph, which is strange. But then again, I looked and saw that 0-90 is 9.4 which is 2 seconds slower then the 0-100 time...Interesting as it follows the same intervals as I listed above...

-Marc

Originally posted by soon2BWRXd
    SWEET! What mods?

Air intake lid and a cutout in the exhaust.
    2003 SRT-4

My specs were correct, but I do understand where you are seeing the descrepency, because now that I look closer at the CTS-V's numbers, it is an odd spec that it takes 2 more full seconds to go 9 mph, which is strange. But then again, I looked and saw that 0-90 is 9.4 which is 2 seconds slower then the 0-100 time...Interesting as it follows the same intervals as I listed above...
    Interesting....oh well, it just didn't make sense to me. But thanks for posting that....I have been in LS1 powered vehicles and it definatley doesn't feel like it takes 2 seconds to go 10mph but maybe thats cause I was never in stock cars

Interesting....oh well, it just didn't make sense to me. But thanks for posting that....I have been in LS1 powered vehicles and it definatley doesn't feel like it takes 2 seconds to go 10mph but maybe thats cause I was never in stock cars
    I couldn't agree more. I have driven LS1s in both the Camaro Z28 and SS, as well as Corvettes in both auto and 6-spd, and have driven the Z06 both the 385hp and 405hp versions, and never, at any speed, could I notice a 2 second interval between 10 mph. Those engines are very strong and have a wild pull once they get going. Well, maybe between 160 and 170mph i can see a couple seconds pass by...hehe...I can't vouch for that though.

Originally posted by Mabf355
    I couldn't agree more. I have driven LS1s in both the Camaro Z28 and SS, as well as Corvettes in both auto and 6-spd, and have driven the Z06 both the 385hp and 405hp versions, and never, at any speed, could I notice a 2 second interval between 10 mph. Those engines are very strong and have a wild pull once they get going. Well, maybe between 160 and 170mph i can see a couple seconds pass by...hehe...I can't vouch for that though.
    werd...these cars pull to 130 like nothing
    2003 SRT-4

Originally posted by StoplightWarrior
    werd...these cars pull to 130 like nothing

sodoes my gti vr-6 turbo i pul all the way to about 145 then it starts to get slow and 6th gear is so weak and boring
    if its not fast it better be a show car

The GTO has the LS1 motor and the CTS-V has the LS6. The GTO is good for mid 13's and the CTS-V hight 12's low 13's STI range. The GTO needs a gear change. They currently run 3.45 and I would change them to 3.73.

Do you know if the GTO uses the same type of rear-end as the other LS1's? If so, a gear change would be very simple.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

I looked at my Motor Treand Magazine, and the GTO ran to 100 in 13.1 Sec and the 1/4 in 13.62 @ 104.78. it has an IRS rear, but you can order one with the 3.73 option. Already looked into it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast