Vw Gti Vr6
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Vw Gti Vr6 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Has anyone raced one of these cars? I saw one of the highway the other day with a vanity plate ...

Question Vw Gti Vr6

Has anyone raced one of these cars? I saw one of the highway the other day with a vanity plate saying "smknv6". I thought it was funny and kind of inticed me to race him. But I didn't and got off my exit. What are the 0-60 times and 1/4 mi. for this car? Its the GTI with the 1.8T faster? I did some looking and also noticed that the GTI VR6 comes with an optional 6 speed.

Any ideas anyone?
    WR Blue Perl WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

0-60 for V6 is around 7.8 seconds. The Jetta 1.8T is around 7.1. The GTI should be slightly lighter, so should run about 7.0. These are all for MT, but I don't know if it is for 5 or 6 speed.
    2002 Platinum Silver Rex

So that guy with the "SMKNV6" really isn't going to be smoking too many people.

It's a little humorous.
    WR Blue Perl WRX

Originally posted by neptune
    So that guy with the "SMKNV6" really isn't going to be smoking too many people.

It's a little humorous.
    Might need a ring job.
    Drag racing? I like my racing to last longer than the average orgasm...

He could have been modded. Those cars can be made very fast. Don't assume he was slow off of stock numbers. And I believe the VR6 numbers were in the mid to high 6's for 0-60.

Actually, 2001S4 might be right on VR6. I was referring to lastyears model which had 20hp lst than this years model. Haven't seen any stats on 2002-2003 model yet.
    2002 Platinum Silver Rex

The VR6 is indeed a nice motor, but if you are into modding, then the 1.8t is a must. You can't beat the tunability of a turbo, as all of you are well aware of.

Actually, the weight difference between the GTI VR6 and the Jetta 1.8T is neglidgable (2.3 lbs). There's around 100 lbs difference between similiarly equipped Jettas and GTIs. The new VR6s are putting out about 201 HP, 194 lb/ft. Anything older then May, this year, is putting out 176 HP, 180 lb/ft.

As stated, the 1.8T is the way to go for the Jetta/GTI. It's turbo is computer controlled, and with a simple upgrade you'll see a gain of ~20HP, ~60 lb/ft. <-- Not a typo. Properly equipped ($4000.00 in mods), you can get ~340 hp out of the engine, on stock internals. Not bad for a 1.8 liter.

IMO, the only Subaru that could beat an '02 Jetta/GTI is the WRX (stock vs. stock). It's AWD advantage is what turns the tables. Keep your fingers crossed that 4Motion doesn't come to North America.
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3

4motion is here, you can order it as on option.
    '02 WRX Sport Wagon
    Midnight Black Pearl
    Godspeed Uppipe
    K&N filter
    Synthetic Oil
    more to come

tan
    Not the A4 platform (Golf, GTI, Jetta, TT, & New Beetle)

Just the B5.5 Passats have the 4Motion option

" Keep your fingers crossed that 4Motion doesn't come to North America."

im not sur on all the tech talk about gti's- but i do know that ive raced one(2002model) : i get to the light and i notice this gti or gulf racing up behind me, he slams on his breaks hoping to hit the red light with me; i look over at him- him at me and we knod...its on

the light changes and the suby hits a nice launch by the top of second hes at least 4 car links behind....i slow down due to another light he pulls up beside me again, we roll down our windows and chat then the light turns green again suby bogs, the gti get a jump on me by second im beside him ,3rd im taking over, fourth im gone..

he was a cool cat though he enjoyed the race, ive seen him around lately too; however he hasn't been able to get up beside me again....

Ant..........
    life = one long drift

one of my best friends just got a new GTI, and i wasn't all that impressed with it.
    I only raced him once and it was very similar to drifters experience. I got a good launch and kept pulling away until i shut her down around 75 with atleast a 4-5 car length lead.

No one is claiming the GTI will hang with a WRX stock for stock. A modded GTI can however.

hey s4 what mods do you have??
    I'm really pissed one of my good friends just wrecked his s4. I hadn't got a chance to let him kick my a$$ since he got his new chip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast