03 WRX vs. 03 Mustang GT

This is a discussion on 03 WRX vs. 03 Mustang GT within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I was at a party last night, when a friend of mine came up to me and my friend ...

03 WRX vs. 03 Mustang GT

So I was at a party last night, when a friend of mine came up to me and my friend and told us a guy we all know with a 2003 Mustang GT claims he can whipe the floor with me in my SRT-4, and my buddies WRX.

Supposebly, he has full exhaust. Headers-back. Assuming he has a really good exhaust set-up, how much power do you think he's making? And what 1/4-mile times so you estimate?

My mods (03 SRT-4) are Stage 1, AGP WGA, TurboSmart MBC (17 PSI). My friend's WRX has a CAI, RFL, and Turbo XS Stealth-back 3" exhaust.

Just guessing, what do you people think would be the outcome? The Mustang hot-head wants to race both of us. I don't know how much full exhaust gives a Mustang, but I estimate a good amount. Prolly about 25 whp right?
    Slow Neon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would guess 15-20 rwhp on an otherwise stock GT, but results vary. I got 20 rwhp with just an X-pipe, but that's with a blower.

It will be a driver's race. The outcome will be determined by reaction time, and who could launch more effectively.
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

Stock for stock is a drivers race. If he runs DR's and those cars can move especially with headers and full exhaust. Still up in the air. get a dood launch.

I got about 10 rwhp when I put an x-pipe on my '00 GT, but it was N/A. It already had a flowmaster axle back when I bought it, so I can't tell you if the butt dyno noticed anything then. Like everyone said above, get a good launch and you can win it.

I think if you and your wrx buddy can launch well you will take him.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

Headers are not a common mustang bolt on because it's not the easiest thing to do. If he has them, I bet he has other bolt on's (pulleys, timing adjuster, gear) and runs mid 13's.
    Mustang, 2002, Silver, GT, 5 SP
    View My Members Page

Wait a minute here, I've never gotten to race a GT but I read all these threads about people killing them left and right.
    I know an SRT-4 will kick most WRX butts and hang with an STi, so why is this a drivers race all of a sudden?

I Support ClubWRX
    I think it's a drivers race because alot of mustang people replied. I would say that the SRT-4 would walk a bolt on SN-95 any day of the week on the street. Odds are he probaly doesnt have headers (trust me there a pain on the mod motors) and just said full exhaust meaning cat back. Which is nothing at all. I've seen a SRT-4 stage one walk a 99 cobra with exhaust...let alone a gt.

On a side note...isnt everything really a drivers race?
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Originally posted by PKer
    Wait a minute here, I've never gotten to race a GT but I read all these threads about people killing them left and right.
    I know an SRT-4 will kick most WRX butts and hang with an STi, so why is this a drivers race all of a sudden?
    Because all the cars have been modded a little, maybe the SRT more than the other two. If you take a stock WRX and stock GT, which are pretty much even, and add 30hp to each, you still have a drivers race.

by full exhaust he probably meant xpipe and catback. if this is true and he has a manual trans, it is a mid 13sec car. i think the SRT4 has the best chance against the mustang and will probably come out on top. from a roll, the wrx will def. lag behind.

from a dig if you go over 60mph i predict srt4 takes stang by 1/2 car and wrx losses to stang by 1 car to 1 1/2 cars.

I kept even, pulled a little on a 4.6L gt this weekend from a roll, but it was about -5 degrees out. He wouldn't race me from a dig, probably didn't want to get embarased infront of his girlfriend.
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby

If it said 4.6L on the side, you had a run in with a high 14 second mustang. Ive waxed those, but yea the mustang will definetly creep on the wrx. His intake hurts him, as well as the atmospheric venting BOV... Engine management and boost, and youve got yourself a match. high 13's for that stang. stage II wrx = high 13's. As for the neon, youll eat up the GT if your boosted. dont let him get too far ahead, make sure you warm up your tires... Youll need to hook in 2nd gear.

Hell be be speechless when he runs the neon, and after he sees the wrx launch, hell gain respect for it.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

I know the older mustang 4.6's arent that fast, only 220 hp, i've beaten those in my RSX. the new mustang GT's arent bad, prob just a driver's race. but with AWD you could take him to 60
    03 Artic Blue Pearl Acura RSX Type S:

to give you an idea, on a 2001 cobra a magnaflow system which consists of catted-x pipe and magnaflow catback has seen gains of up to 26.6 rwhp. I have no idea on the gt though.
    2001 Mustang Cobra
    Vortech @9psi
    13* Timing and 11.5AFR
    Tuned by ME

WRX and SRT4 should make the Mustang hot-head cry...if they know how to drive. Although people seem to think "60" is a magic number, the race doesn't end there and the Mustang won't magically fly by. Launch the WRX well and it should win. Launch the SRT4 well and it should really win. Although I have an STi, I've raced new Mustang GT's with header, full exhaust, CAI and underdrive pulley (or so they said) and destroyed them from a stop and a roll.

Have fun and let us know if his crying sounds like a small child's.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH