Here we GO. STi vs. EVO8 1/4mile from a DIG
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Here we GO. STi vs. EVO8 1/4mile from a DIG within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; OK, I finally got to run my friend in his Silver EVO8 the other night. EVO8: B&B cat-back exhaust, Turbo ...

Here we GO. STi vs. EVO8 1/4mile from a DIG

OK, I finally got to run my friend in his Silver EVO8 the other night.

EVO8: B&B cat-back exhaust, Turbo timer.

STi: HKS cat-back, Turbo timer, gauges, yadda yadda bov.

2 runs. Once from 2nd gear 40mph roll on the Highway. EVO WALKED from me. I was SHOCKED, to the tune of at least 2 CL at 5th gear when I quit.

NOW FOR THE GOOD PART.

Local spot, we both line up for a .28 mile run. Slightly longer than a 1/4. Started by a flagman with a specific finish line.

I out launch the EVO and get 2 car lenghts on him(his words) I can see the EVO coming up on me, not fast but not inching either, he pulls up to my rear bumper when we shut down at about 110mph and .28 miles later. I beat the EVO by 1 CL at the end of the race.

We are both good friends, and I have HUGE respect for this car after our rolling run. I hear some EVO's put down awesome numbers at the wheels while others do not. There is apparently quite a discrepency from car to car as far as hp to ground goes.

BUT the EVO is very hard to launch, and its weak stock clutch is an achilles heel. I launched at 5200rpm him, about the same. His launch was respectable, but the STi is just a DIGGER off the line. AMAZING launching capability with our car, which is a great advantage against an obviously higher hp to ground car, as the EVO was in this case.

Video, will be available soon. I will post it up.
    2004 STi

Blitz DTT-DCII
    COBB Stage 2
    Invidia Catless DP
    HKS Hiper Cat-back
    Greddy: EGT, Boost, Oil Press Gauges
    Perrin Oil Catch Can

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

nice death then good kill!

awesome cars
    Kory "I love Rexes and STis"

- 2006 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6
    - 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

Is the STi's differential what makes the difference off the line?

What did you have the DCCD set at? I hear that if you set it to 35 front 65 rear you get better launches.
    R.I.P. 04 Java Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    Wanted - 99 - 01 2.5 RS Coupe Any Color

I'm also shocked he walked you from roll?
    I have heard some EVO's are making more boost than others.
    Maybe this is the case. I heard that one guy ran like 12.7 in the 1/4 mile bone stock. They later found out he was making like 21 psi boost from the factory!!!

Are you also 100% sure he wasn't running a boost controller? Thats all it would take in an EVO. I guess if he's your friend you can trust him.

What does you car run in the 1/4 mile?

Maybe he does a better job of shifting?

You also said he was reeling you in in the 1/4 mile. That would also indicate he is making more hp that you??
    Last edited by SGOSWRX; 01-25-2004 at 06:04 AM.

Re: Here we GO. STi vs. EVO8 1/4mile from a DIG

Originally posted by LukeWRX
    OK, I finally got to run my friend in his Silver EVO8 the other night.

EVO8: B&B cat-back exhaust, Turbo timer.

STi: HKS cat-back, Turbo timer, gauges, yadda yadda bov.

2 runs. Once from 2nd gear 40mph roll on the Highway. EVO WALKED from me. I was SHOCKED, to the tune of at least 2 CL at 5th gear when I quit.

NOW FOR THE GOOD PART.

Local spot, we both line up for a .28 mile run. Slightly longer than a 1/4. Started by a flagman with a specific finish line.

I out launch the EVO and get 2 car lenghts on him(his words) I can see the EVO coming up on me, not fast but not inching either, he pulls up to my rear bumper when we shut down at about 110mph and .28 miles later. I beat the EVO by 1 CL at the end of the race.

We are both good friends, and I have HUGE respect for this car after our rolling run. I hear some EVO's put down awesome numbers at the wheels while others do not. There is apparently quite a discrepency from car to car as far as hp to ground goes.

BUT the EVO is very hard to launch, and its weak stock clutch is an achilles heel. I launched at 5200rpm him, about the same. His launch was respectable, but the STi is just a DIGGER off the line. AMAZING launching capability with our car, which is a great advantage against an obviously higher hp to ground car, as the EVO was in this case.

Video, will be available soon. I will post it up.
    The Sti has a wicked launch. I still have my stock clutch in. I lined up with a friend of mine who has an Sti, He must have put two or three cars on me. I was able to reel him in after that and put a couple of cars on him. It was a long stretch of road, at about 100+ mph. No traffic LONG LONG ROAD. Jones Beach
    Long Live King Evo.

Re: Re: Here we GO. STi vs. EVO8 1/4mile from a DIG

Originally posted by WRX KILA
    The Sti has a wicked launch. I still have my stock clutch in. I lined up with a friend of mine who has an Sti, He must have put two or three cars on me. I was able to reel him in after that and put a couple of cars on him. It was a long stretch of road, at about 100+ mph. No traffic LONG LONG ROAD. Jones Beach
    Oh yeah forgot to mention, I am not Stock. The Sti not stock either.
    Long Live King Evo.

Is the STi's differential what makes the difference off the line?
    No, I think the difference comes in the STi's clutch vs. The EVO's. It is very hard to feel the engagement point of the EVO's clutch. While the STi's is just too perfect. My other friend has practiced several launches in his EVO and his clutch is already slipping(not the one I raced).

What did you have the DCCD set at? I hear that if you set it to 35 front 65 rear you get better launches.
    Perhaps, I had it set in AUTO mode. I have had good luck with 5000rpm launches and AUTO, I also tried a 6k rpm launch in auto though and spun all 4 so perhaps for higher rpm's I would have to use 35/65(also does this allow less drivetrain loss, heard that somewhere).

SGOSWRX ...I didnt look under his hood, but I am pretty sure those were his only mods. Another EVO owner told me he has heard of some EVO's putting down 260hp to the wheels and others put down as low as 210. Now of course there will be dyno differences but a 50hp discrepency leads me to believe that some must be making more power than others stock.

I am unsure of my time in the 1/4. I have beaten a consistent 13.4 @ 103 SRT4 by 2 CL's on several occasions from a dig. I am assuming around 13.2 for me. And we ran to 110mph for slightly longer than a 1/4. So while he did close from 2 CL back to 1CL it took him more than the 1/4 to do so.
    2004 STi

Blitz DTT-DCII
    COBB Stage 2
    Invidia Catless DP
    HKS Hiper Cat-back
    Perrin Oil Catch Can

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that your 100% atomospheric blow-off valve is costing you some power.....
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that your 100% atomospheric blow-off valve is costing you some power.....
    Do you think so......I have gotten tired of reading the debates on them where most people call them rice, others say the cars dont run right yadda yadda. But, if there is actually proof that they do indeed cost power I would reconsider using one.

As far as the butt-dyno. 10,000 miles with in on my WRX, and now 4500 with it on the STi and no problems, and my results in races have seemed typical.

The EVO that beat me from a roll(cat-back), was even with another EVO(Cat-back, grounding, and FLASHED) on a rolling race. Maybe I will throw the stocker on there for a while and do some tests.
    2004 STi

Blitz DTT-DCII
    COBB Stage 2
    Invidia Catless DP
    HKS Hiper Cat-back
    Perrin Oil Catch Can

I don't think theyre rice or anything ( I love the sound of my BOV ) I just think that they are unnecessary until you're running more than 20psi. The stock WRx/Sti bov is actually pretty good. I had my stock one until I upgraded to the 18g. Now I run a GFB 50/50 b.o.v. Keep in mind that I also have my car tuned for it.

The reason why I think it might be causing a loss of power is because you are releasing air to atmosphere is that it has already been metered by the mass air sensor. When it blows off, the ECU will be injecting the wrong amount of fuel into the cylinders. The engine temporarily runs extremely rich. This can cause your plugs to foul prematurely.

On the other hand, some guys run BOVS and report no problems. I just find it odd that this EVO is walking you like he is. If he is telling the truth about his mods than your BOV is the only thing I can see that would cause him to blow by you like that. Of course, this is all my opinion and you know what those are like.

I'd say swap out the stock one back on for awhile and see if you feel a difference.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

im a n00b so i don't really know what I'm talking about, but take a look at this:

Sti Timing

maybe your Sti also has detonation problems losing you an important ~20 whp stock....

Luke...I believe that Boomer's EVO also has a grounding kit and K&N drop-in filter. I also believe that he has a strong EVO from the factory. When we raced, we were even on two passes but on one pass I pulled him by half a car...I also had my brother
    in-law in my car who weighs approx 185lbs. Your car is very strong as well.

I'd say reinstall your factory BOV and run Boomer and I again for comparision.
    95 Integra GS-R turbo
    03 WRX
    03 Expedition

you need downpipe now!
    04 WRX Black no options!
    Helix up/downpipe, HKS catback & Bov, autometer gauges and MRT shortshifter, Bronze Rota SDRs, UTEC, tein SS coilovers, HKS type1 turbo timer, 6000K HIDs, JDM spec C front/rear lips, 20% tint
    to be installed: Mines Spoiler

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast