Here we GO. STi vs. EVO8 1/4mile from a DIG - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Here we GO. STi vs. EVO8 1/4mile from a DIG within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm not in anyway disputing what happened in the original post but something seems odd to me that the evo ...

not disputing outcome but seems odd

I'm not in anyway disputing what happened in the original post but something seems odd to me that the evo (with both cars pulling similar mods) would take an sti in a highway race, especially when you look at some of times in the magazines. I am NOT advocating magazine racing but it does strike me odd that if you look at some of the stats the cars are VERY VERY close in most magazines 0-60, 1/4, 0-100 but as you start getting up there above 100 the sti crushes the evo in everything I've read. If you look at Car and Driver from June of last year, look at the 0-130 times for both cars....sti 24.5, evo 28.5. That is a 4 second difference, not like a tenth or two. We all know what 4 seconds translates to in a race, an ass-whipping.....so how is it that the evo walks the sti in a highway run given this. I could see if the evo was modded and the sti was stock but it seemed like they had similar mods. Are the mag's that off? I'm not trying to start a huge debate about mag racing vs reality and all that but my sti pulls pretty damn hard on the highway and I'd be shocked to see it taken easily by an evo on the upper end of the speedometer. I think there needs to be more real evidence of this same event posted from others before I buy this as an expected outcome.
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: not disputing outcome but seems odd

Originally posted by Silver04Sti
    If you look at Car and Driver from June of last year, look at the 0-130 times for both cars....sti 24.5, evo 28.5. That is a 4 second difference, not like a tenth or two. We all know what 4 seconds translates to in a race, an ass-whipping.....so how is it that the evo walks the sti in a highway run given this.
    In the evo, there is a large gap between 4th and 5th. That speed necessitates a shift to 5th, which just kills it.

We raced 2nd through the top of 4th.

2 different occasions I have gone against another EVO and a Stage 1+ SRT4(boosting 17.5lbs) and once we got to 5th it was over for them.

As for my original race, I am a believer that my BOV was either leaking or costing me power by running rich at the shifts. I took it off and my Fiance first stated "your car feels faster what did you do? where is the pssshhhh sound"

Perhaps I will get another race
    2004 STi

Blitz DTT-DCII
    COBB Stage 2
    Invidia Catless DP
    HKS Hiper Cat-back
    Greddy: EGT, Boost, Oil Press Gauges
    Perrin Oil Catch Can

thanks for the input about the 4th to 5th shift..that definitely accounts for the drop off...i'll have to race a few myself to see how they compare with sti's and srt 4's etc...u cant go wrong with any of them but awd is a huge bonus...i hear about wrx meets all the time but ive never heard of evo drivers getting together...we should set up a meet in stl area ...get all the rexers and evo guys out ...

Luke,
    you talking about Wrick? He has something more....a reflash..if not then here goes:
    I beat one of the owners from R.I.D.E. in their EVO back in june or july....whenever. Highway roll from 60, head to head until 4th, i pulled one car, 5th, i pulled another 1.5 - 2 cars, both cars stock, with 4 people in each.
    From a roll, there are two ways to launch:
    - break boosting
    - clutching during an up rev

Launching, this is how i got a 12.69 time with a 1.69 60' (TBE intake) and yes a blitz BOV that provides no performance. The intake probably didnt either at stock boost
    -dccd set at 2nd arrow from the bottom, lots of wheel spin but biting real hard
    -42/front 43/rear tire pressure, over 90+ 6-6.5k launches in boost, no issues with tranny/diff, could have ran better times with lower pressure, just paranoid
    -when launching, you can't launch like a NA car by holding the rev constant at 5.5 or wherever you decide. If you have a boost gauge, you will see the turbo spool up into boost on the aggressive up rev, however, it will fall back into vacuum, by aggressively reving back n forth from around 2k - 6k, it hits boost each time, time this with the 3rd yellow at the track and bam...hold on

My boy Henry, you probably seen his car, red hatch "SLO T66" pulls on wrick, even with wricks reflash, I believe he still pulls him. However, I pulled on Henry, yes from a roll. Going from a roll, I usually clutched it on the up rev, that made me jump almost a full car ahead. I got a video somewhere, it shows me launching in on a new highway against a modded TA (SLP) with a good driver. It shows me pulling about 5-6 cars off the dig. I ended up losing once he hit 130..... well past the 1320 since he traps 12.7-12.8 @ 108 at the track.

Sorry for the long post, maybe some of this will help you? Let me know if you have any questions....
    01' GSXR1K Sold
    02' S2K Turbo Sold 5-24
    04 SLO STI Sold 01/04
    03' Cobra
    Pictures

Jay, upon talking to Henr0 the time when you pulled on him he was only running mid to low 13's and his two step wasn't setup yet(big difference from a roll). The last time me and Henr0 ran was at X'mas time. We ran several times, 20 roll, 30 roll, 40 roll, and 60 roll. Each time it was the same: me pulling out 3/4 carlength and getting pulled at 105-110 when he puts 2-3 cars of air on me. And it being that he ran a 12.3@114 in Gainesville a week or two afterwards, his car was considerably faster. Although my ECU has be reflashed my car is running on 17lbs of boost tapering to 15-16lbs which is lower than stock(19lbs then tapers to 16-17). The aforementioned evo that Luke is referring to is our friend Boomer, not mine.
    95 Integra GS-R turbo
    03 WRX
    03 Expedition

Re: Re: Here we GO. STi vs. EVO8 1/4mile from a DIG

Originally posted by WRX KILA
    The Sti has a wicked launch. I still have my stock clutch in. I lined up with a friend of mine who has an Sti, He must have put two or three cars on me. I was able to reel him in after that and put a couple of cars on him. It was a long stretch of road, at about 100+ mph. No traffic LONG LONG ROAD. Jones Beach
    gotta love the ocean parkway

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    Maybe he does a better job of shifting?
    I created my avatar.

Believe it or not, for just a 1/4 RUN, a VTA BOV is actually benefitial even with a MAF, you shift so fast the car's boost is so constant that it helps out.

Evos in proper working order spike to 20-21 PSI, they are way harder to launch the the Scooby, but with a clutch upgrade they are fine and yank great 60 foots.

Mitsu puts in a clutch that'll slip if younail it too hard to save the transfer case, just what mitsu does this.

EVos under constant boost have GREAT topend, their head flows masses, the turbo is HUGE as far as stock is concerned, and the 2.0 allows the revs, not to mention it has knock detection through out the rev range for optimal tunability.

But Scoobys are easier to launch, just their forte
    Don't believe the life you have
    Will be the only one
    You have to let your body sleep
    To let your soul live on

2006 Evo IX MR

where is the video!!!!

edgar,
    bl/tz

I got a video of my evo and lukewrx from a 20mph roll. If you want to host the video, pm me your email address and I'll email it to you.
    95 Integra GS-R turbo
    03 WRX
    03 Expedition

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123