Z28s vs. Turbo Sleepers - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 76 to 85 of 85

This is a discussion on Z28s vs. Turbo Sleepers within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by Ppower Personally, what I hate the most about FWD is when you loose grip with just one ...

  1. #76
    Registered User 2001S4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    845
    Originally posted by Ppower


    Personally, what I hate the most about FWD is when you loose grip with just one tire and if the car has some torque it snaps the front end. This is common when hitting a deep puddle of water that is along the edge of the road. The rain thing was just an extreme example. FWD cars have an advantage on launch on the street too, because of the white paint strips used to mark the stopping point for an intersection. RWD cars have to get their drive wheels clear of this before laying in the gas or you can very well smoke the tires easy. FWD cars only have to go like 2 feet to clear them vs RWD which has to have almost have the whole car clear it. At some intersections they are even raised or humped a slight bit...

    I hate those paint lines.

    Ppower
    Are you kidding me? A strip of paint makes a fwd car faster off the line? Wow, I better beware of those paint strips.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #77
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    59
    Originally posted by 2001S4


    Are you kidding me? A strip of paint makes a fwd car faster off the line? Wow, I better beware of those paint strips.
    AH? Taking stuff out of context? I never said faster, I said makes for an advantage. There is a difference. A RWD car has to clear those strips to lay into the gas. The paint is slick and can have oil on it. I have launched a many a times only to reach the paint line and have the back tires start to spin. While the RWD guy is rolling out just to clear those the FWD guy is already taking off. If, you don't know this then you don't know the advantages you would have racing someone with RWD from a street light.

    BC

  4. #78
    Registered User 2001S4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    845
    Originally posted by Ppower


    AH? Taking stuff out of context? I never said faster, I said makes for an advantage. There is a difference. A RWD car has to clear those strips to lay into the gas. The paint is slick and can have oil on it. I have launched a many a times only to reach the paint line and have the back tires start to spin. While the RWD guy is rolling out just to clear those the FWD guy is already taking off. If, you don't know this then you don't know the advantages you would have racing someone with RWD from a street light.

    BC
    If you honestly believe that a strip of paint is causing you to lose traction, then you need to take your alleged 11 sec mustang to a track and learn how to drive it. Let me see if I can put this as simply as a possibly can without sounding too mean, the paint makes NOOOO difference.

  5. #79
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    pa
    Posts
    514
    I still can't figure out why everyone is so crazy about racing, and comparing different engine/driveline combos. i love my wrx, and i also loved my slow ass old 86 GTI, and my first hot rod, the rednecked 81 Cutlass......talk about a sleeper, the car started life as, and remained badged as a diesel...it was heavy as all get out, and i didn't know much about what i was doing at the time but that car ended up being insanely fast.....and yes i raced it a couple of times and destroyed some modded rx-7's, stock 300 z's, stock z-28's, mustang 5.slows, and even some big block cutlass/monte carlos....and my own transmission twice, my tires, my rotors and finally put a rod through my oil pan....anyway, the point is that the only races that could even have been considered worthwhile were the ones against the camaros and other cutlass/monte carlo, and mustangs. but racing the wrx? well, i don't see the need as far as all out drag racing, this car just isn't meant as a go straight tire burning demon in my opinion (otherwise it would burn the tires)....i guess i'm getting too old for that now, this car is just fun as hell to drive, more fun than anything i've ever had the opportunity to flog around, tearing through winding mountain roads, diving into tight corners using heel-toe downshifting, drifting it out of the corner while staying on boost and pulling out of the slide to scream into the next bend..... that in itself gives me enough satisfaction without involving anyone else, or any other type of car.

  6. #80
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    SAN JOSE AREA
    Posts
    58
    Originally posted by 2001S4


    If you honestly believe that a strip of paint is causing you to lose traction, then you need to take your alleged 11 sec mustang to a track and learn how to drive it. Let me see if I can put this as simply as a possibly can without sounding too mean, the paint makes NOOOO difference.


    In Ppowers defense.. The painted lines do make a difference for high horespower RWD cars, in the rain
    LETS PLAY

  7. #81
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    59
    Originally posted by 2001S4


    If you honestly believe that a strip of paint is causing you to lose traction, then you need to take your alleged 11 sec mustang to a track and learn how to drive it. Let me see if I can put this as simply as a possibly can without sounding too mean, the paint makes NOOOO difference.
    For starters, take a chill pill. Before you wet yourself. Tell you what next time you race a camaro from a street light go out mid-intersection and dump a strip of oil across your side of the intersection then race him. Then you will know how RWD cars feel when they hit that paint strip.

    As, for the drag stip...NEWSFLASH they don't use no freaking 12"+ reflective paint strips on them...

    You must have failed chemistry and physics...If you're so naive to believe a reflective painted surface makes for as good as a asphalt one.

    As, for what you think of my car and timeslip...I could careless you're a nobody and you're opinion of it means nothing...have a nice day

    Ppower
    Last edited by Ppower; 06-12-2002 at 07:10 PM.

  8. #82
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16
    U go Ppower show them whos boss maybe you guys should stop arguing over a stupid paint strip? it doesnt really matter in the sceme of things now does it

  9. #83
    Registered User 2001S4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    845
    Originally posted by Ppower


    For starters, take a chill pill. Before you wet yourself. Tell you what next time you race a camaro from a street light go out mid-intersection and dump a strip of oil across your side of the intersection then race him. Then you will know how RWD cars feel when they hit that paint strip.

    As, for the drag stip...NEWSFLASH they don't use no freaking 12"+ reflective paint strips on them...

    You must have failed chemistry and physics...If you're so naive to believe a reflective painted surface makes for as good as a asphalt one.

    As, for what you think of my car and timeslip...I could careless you're a nobody and you're opinion of it means nothing...have a nice day

    Ppower
    You're right, I must have failed chemistry and physics, but then again, i haven't been is school for years. I am starting to suspect you are still a student, however. I don't give a rat's A$$ about you car. You did however come on here claiming that it is an 11 second beast. Does your car have a rollcage by the way, that is awfully fast. I have driven AWD, FWD, and RWD cars. If you want to play this paint game, fine. A FWD car would be forced to START on this slippery service you speak of. A RWD car would have a head start of about a few feet before it would hit this strip. So if this slippery surface exists as you claim, it would not hinder the RWD car's accelration, but the FWD's. All it would do to the RWD car is possibly cause it to swing the rear a bit.

  10. #84
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    59
    Originally posted by 2001S4


    You're right, I must have failed chemistry and physics, but then again, i haven't been is school for years. I am starting to suspect you are still a student, however. I don't give a rat's A$$ about you car. You did however come on here claiming that it is an 11 second beast. Does your car have a rollcage by the way, that is awfully fast. I have driven AWD, FWD, and RWD cars. If you want to play this paint game, fine. A FWD car would be forced to START on this slippery service you speak of. A RWD car would have a head start of about a few feet before it would hit this strip. So if this slippery surface exists as you claim, it would not hinder the RWD car's accelration, but the FWD's. All it would do to the RWD car is possibly cause it to swing the rear a bit.
    " I don't give a rat's A$$ about you car. You did however come on here claiming that it is an 11 second beast. " Then why bring it up? It has nothing to do with what is being talked about. Then to try some lame angle to discredit my observation of nature of reflective paint used on the roads...

    ah, no a FWD person can roll over the line before even launching from the light. Many people either stop on it or just past it. Tell you what show me some links to back up your lame angle/theory.

    Here are some I just found in 5mins: http://www.mad-ducati.com/RaceTracks/SummitPoint.html

    Quote from that page: "The day was hot in the low 90's. We ran the circuit anticlockwise. Doug had warned me about the white lines, painted down the center of the track to simulate a normal road. These were slippery and would cause the tires to slide a couple of inches, "

    "I went out alone, made 2 laps, obsrved new paint lines down the center of the track (must be used for police training or something- the Jefferson Circuit is a purpose build road circuit designed especially for training use). I was warned of their slippery nature, and was
    throttled back to 70%, and entering the turn 1 at the end of the straight, promptly low-sided as the bike crossed a paint stripe and found no traction whatsoever."

    This is on a freaking motorcycle and in a rolling state, not a car with over 350hp and 350+lbs torque. In racing the announcers talk all the time about how slick the paint lines are at the top and bottom of tracks.

    http://www.ibmwr.org/prodreview/abstests.html

    BMW riders had reported ABS kicking-in on:

    Painted road surfaces (like the warning strip at stop signs)
    metal sewer covers
    sand
    gravel
    oil-stained pavement
    short dirt road
    water-lots of water.

    Hmm, seems motorcycle guys don't like paint stripes either...wonder why.

    oil-stained pavement and painted road surfaces both causing ABS to engage...hmmm, but no mention of normal asphalt doing it...strange...guess they haven't consulted you yet. LMAO@U

    yeah, your right a RWD car would have a head start of about 8 feet heading into it's powerband range. Let's say you launch at like 2300-3200 in about 8-10 feet traveled where would the rpm be at? 3500? or higher in the power band? Not like you going to do a clutch dump on street tires and be shifting into 2nd at the paint line...dah..

    Ppower
    please post some links supporting your theory...

    Oh, and if you don't post links supporting your claims...I won't respond I have proven my point and am moving on...
    Last edited by Ppower; 06-12-2002 at 08:17 PM.

  11. #85
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16
    This thread has really been hijacked where did we begin? oh yeah Camaro z28 vs WRX, not rwd vs fwd and paint strips. But whatever seems like maybe you should make a new thread to discuss this paint strip issue or maybe just find where each other lives and beat the crap out of each other, since this argument seems to be going in circles anyway my $.02 about ur bickering

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •