VW R32 vs. WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on VW R32 vs. WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, Just bummin around Supercars.net today, and it looks like VW has a new 4motion GTI out with 240HP. ...

VW R32 vs. WRX

Hey guys,

Just bummin around Supercars.net today, and it looks like VW has a new 4motion GTI out with 240HP. Stock for stock, we win in acceleration and the GTI wins in top end, but it would be a great race up to about 80MPH.

Check out the forum on Supercars:
    Supercars

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

there's also a good article on it on VWVortex.com

stock with 18" wheels, monsoon stereo, auto climate control, etc. very cool little ride.

dR

tan
    Give me the 150 bhp VW Golf GT TDI

I Support ClubWRX
    I think you'd rather have the 5cyl 2.5L turbo diesel making ~247hp, 369lbs torque.

That does sound like a sweet ride. The only problem is that for all of us from the U.S.A, we are not getting that car anytime soon. I think the WRX is the obvious choise being as how it is the only one of the two that is available for purchase in the United States.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!

www.azpeacemakers.com

www.junesounds.com

tan
    Originally posted by schischwein
    I think you'd rather have the 5cyl 2.5L turbo diesel making ~247hp, 369lbs torque.
    Too bad it's not available on the Golf.....but the 150 bhp TDI....sweet, 0-60 in 7 seconds AND 50 mpg

The VW is a great car, the only strike it has against it is it's excessive weight.
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

And the hit or miss electrical systems they seem to have. That's the one thing that made me even consider the WRX. I wanted a GTi so bad, but I don't want to be stranded somewhere due to electrical failure. (I didn't think it was that bad of a problem until my cousin had a New Beetle which the lights would cut out at times while driving at night... VW couldn't fix it and it spent most of it's 6 month life with her in the shop).

Too bad it's not available on the Golf.....but the 150 bhp TDI....sweet, 0-60 in 7 seconds AND 50 mpg
    Tan, screw the deisel. get out of the stone age! 50 mpg is great till you can't go faster than 75mph. performance cars and deisel is not the preferred mix.

VW Vortex, R32 Golf Article

Six speed 4Motion. not a great AWD system as all manufacturers go, but nice enough my g/f has the wolfsberg edition jette. very small turbo, but a ton of fun to drive. i like VW

dR
    Last edited by dark_rex; 06-06-2002 at 12:45 PM.

Golf . . .
    My WRX is my daily ride. I go up and into DC every morning. Even though I'm new to manual tranny, and the traffic here is supposidely the worst in the nation, I've rather enjoyed it (I hear this feeling is supposed to change in 1-2 months). Guess its a crash course in driving a stick.
    Anyhow, this morning I noticed a black VW Golf with no badging on the back except the VW logo. I knew it was a Golf cause I ran into another later on. Well, do Golf's come without badging on their rear as normal? This Golf seemed different-wanted to drive very fast. Not that my WRX wasn't able to keep up (driving into DC, I like to let the other guys going 80 in a 35 stay a little ahead of me to take the tickets), but it made for a different than usual commute. He was blasting off from every red light.
    The fast driving got me into work early. Too bad it took me an hour to find a parking space. Anyway, is there a golf out there without badging on the rear as standard? Just wondering.
    02' WRX Platinum Silver
    I like my car!

tan
    just de-badged. He could be a Vortexer (www.vwvortex.com).

I feel your pain about DC traffic (being from Manassas Park, VA)....now my commute to work is almost stress free.

DC traffic sucks big time

and most of the drivers down here are real a$$#0|#'s

but at least its Friday

Yeah,

I go to school at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, and whenever I drive to DC to see a concert at MCI Center or something like that the traffic sucks.

I like backroads.....

tan

Rehash an older topic

It's Confirmed...the R32 is coming, most likely for the MY2004

from autoweek
    Performance-oriented R32 Golf is U.S.-bound, Volkswagen chief says

The Golf R32 at last month's Paris Motor Show. (Photo by Mike Floyd)
    Volkswagen chairman Bernd Pischetsrieder confirmed to AutoWeek the performance-oriented R32 Golf is indeed coming to the U.S. market. We last reported a decision on whether to sell the car stateside was dependent on whether it could meet U.S. crash standards.
    Apparently, the car passed the tests because now Pischetsrieder is saying the R32 will arrive within the next year as a 2004 model.

The R32’s launch date depends upon how quickly the car can be adapted to meet U.S. certification standards, he says.
    --------------------------

Comparing performance numbers? the regular GTI 4Motion V6 goes from 0-60 in 7 seconds flat (similar to the 150 diesel motor)...the extra power may bring the 0-60 time closer to 6 seconds, which is my best guess.

Yeah, those headlights are projector HID's. A popular mod.

Originally posted by dark_rex

Tan, screw the deisel. get out of the stone age! 50 mpg is great till you can't go faster than 75mph. performance cars and deisel is not the preferred mix.

dR
    Diesel is unfortunately a bastard child of gasoline. UK and Europe has a VW that is simply amazing. GTI diesel format. Granted it's not the accellerating demon like an WRX, but it's sure got some POP! One of the faster landspeed record was broken and attempted in a diesel powered rocket car. Diesel baby!! The new diesel will blow your mind.

Once you test drive an VW TDI, you won't go back...well...maybe you'll end up buying another car.
    Anywoo...diesel is the most popular fuel in Europe. Don't knock it till you drive it.

I only wish we had more here.

-LostLamb
    Uh guys? After I read this post I went out to take a look at my WRX. There seems to be some bird poop on the drivers side A-pillar and almost all of the windshield washer fluid is gone. Should I trade it in for a Ford ZX2 or just light in on fire?

God I miss my rex. -Koyokid

Rest in peace Koyokid.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.