VW R32 vs. WRX - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on VW R32 vs. WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by LostLamb Diesel is unfortunately a bastard child of gasoline. UK and Europe has a VW that is ...

Originally posted by LostLamb

Diesel is unfortunately a bastard child of gasoline. UK and Europe has a VW that is simply amazing. GTI diesel format. Granted it's not the accellerating demon like an WRX, but it's sure got some POP! One of the faster landspeed record was broken and attempted in a diesel powered rocket car. Diesel baby!! The new diesel will blow your mind.

Once you test drive an VW TDI, you won't go back...well...maybe you'll end up buying another car.
    Anywoo...diesel is the most popular fuel in Europe. Don't knock it till you drive it.

I only wish we had more here.

-LostLamb
    i've driven the TDI, along with some older diesel mercedes.

the bottom line is that it is driven in EU more b/c fuel is too expensive, and the economy can't be beat. they've come up with all sorts of half brained attepts to make it a real sports car, but the combustion is just too inefficient. the same efforts on an unleaded gasoline fuel will always yield much cleaner, higher performance based results.

dR

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    Actually gasoline power engines are only about 20% efficient, with the rest being heat.

Diesels are more efficient than gasoline, about 10 to 20% more efficient.

THe higher compression (about 18.5:1) is a result of the huge stroke to bore ratio, resulting in its limited rev capabilities (low redline).

Originally posted by tan
    Actually gasoline power engines are only about 20% efficient, with the rest being heat.

Diesels are more efficient than gasoline, about 10 to 20% more efficient.

THe higher compression (about 18.5:1) is a result of the huge stroke to bore ratio, resulting in its limited rev capabilities (low redline).
    Also, a diesel engine is a compression engine vs a combustion engine. Hence per volumn of fuel and air, it gets better mileage.

It's all good. We'll convert you gasoline lovers into diesel lovers soon enough

-LostLamb
    Uh guys? After I read this post I went out to take a look at my WRX. There seems to be some bird poop on the drivers side A-pillar and almost all of the windshield washer fluid is gone. Should I trade it in for a Ford ZX2 or just light in on fire?

God I miss my rex. -Koyokid

Rest in peace Koyokid.

tan
    It will happen when gas prices become insanely high like in Europe.

I Support ClubWRX
    Actually diesel is one of the crazes now in terms of sportscars as well. Just about every manufacturer is coming out with sporty drives that don't putter around like a Vespa. Just as an example:Peugeot's Diamonds and Spades(diesel and petrol respectively) share the same platform. The petrol(1.8) puts out ~180hp and ~145lbs torque while the diesel(2.2L) puts out 175hp and a staggering ~300lbs of torque. Peugeot even made efforts to tune the exhaust sound(while maintaining functionality). So yes, diesels often smell and sound like scheiss, but they can hold their own.
    Back to the original topic, I'm quite excited about the R32 in North America. It's about time we got a Haldex-4Motion Golf. Someone mentioned the 0-60 times...in UK, most reviewers averaged about six and a half secs. On the other hand, 0-60 is really a bragging rights figure and I'd much appreciate the tall first gear(the rex has an insanely short first that one would often get into second on a left turn from stop when you are just cruising along). My only concern is the lack of communication from the steering(which is a bit of a typical VW thing). Regardless I would love to have it alongside the rex. The rex would become the pure weekend, backroads passion and caged rallycar, while the R32 would be the street terror for those jaunting sprints to buy a quart of milk and a hand of bananas.
    Last edited by schischwein; 10-15-2002 at 10:05 PM.

I've driven both an A3 with the 130hp TDI and a Golf with the 150hp TDI. They are a blast. The torque is amazing. It will hit you into the back of your seat as hard if not harder than a stock wrx. They're a lot of fun to drive.
    autobahn storming scooby

tan
    I want a Pumpe Duse

Peugeot'a mid-engine sports cars (mentioned earlier), are named RC...spades (black and gas) and diamond (red and diesel) (I think that's the right color-engine combo).

Opel Eco-Speedster
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=530023

i stand corrected on the efficiency of diesel. that was a BIG error.

dR

tan
    A lot of it is due to misconceptions, mainly because the consumer auto industry heavily biased towards gasoline. Also something to think about....how are most tractor trailer in operation, diesel powered? How are most school buses and buses diesel powered?

Though the biggest barrier is the pre 1990's diesel perception, much like Hyundai's quality perception due to the 1980's Pony and Excel.

Back on topic....Vw and vague steering???Try a Toyota for the masses...that's vague steering.

R32 is very sweet. 2003-04 is going to be just awesome for us awd rally car type freaks. STI's, EVO's, 300hp awd Focus, R32's, V8 S4's ....there are so many awesome cars coming I am having a very hard time trying to figure out what I like the most..need a 10 car garage!
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

R32 is too sweet BUT it has a non-turbo engine leaving it a little out in the open for the 2.0L turbo to whoop another 100+ hp over it. If VW/Audi is serious they better get a bigger Turbo 4 motor and make their AWD more like a RWD like the Subaru rather tha that weak 4motion stuff.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

The R32 is a sweet ride and beautiful but it will be pricey. The general consensus of the VW guys is that it will be around 30-32K.
    Run Forest, Run
    04 Java Black 5Mt XT

That thing is sexy. It's non turbo? That sucks. I'd rather have stock - turbo powered engine.

Don't dis the non turbo, after all, you need one for the all motor races. Besides, imagine what happens when you do put a turbo on that thing .

tan
    Originally posted by boosted 4
    R32 is too sweet BUT it has a non-turbo engine leaving it a little out in the open for the 2.0L turbo to whoop another 100+ hp over it. If VW/Audi is serious they better get a bigger Turbo 4 motor and make their AWD more like a RWD like the Subaru rather tha that weak 4motion stuff.
    Why it's the same exact Haldex system as the Audi Quattro.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast