My STi vs LS1 WS6 Ram Air - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on My STi vs LS1 WS6 Ram Air within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Had to chime in here. Based soley on my experience, in the quarter, the STi has the advantage. Been beat ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Had to chime in here.

Based soley on my experience, in the quarter, the STi has the advantage. Been beat by only 1 LS1 (tubbed) and 1 WS6 (missed my 2nd-3rd shift) out of at least a dozen races.

One slight correction...race from a roll is a measure of the HP/weight ratio, not just HP. Good case in point is a Lightning...a tub at the top end, but more HP than than an LS1.

BTW...not a hater, just a realist. My stock Cuda doesn't like playing second fiddle in the quarter to my STi any more than my friends WS6 and 02 Cobra.

Last comment...although I have ran at the strip with my STi, that is not it's forte. Take it to a road course or rally...then have some fun. It takes at least a Z06 to beat it there...and yes, that is by experience also.

Anyone going to FATT May 21 at Summit Point Raceway? See you there...just be sure to wave that left arm out when you see me in your rear view mirror
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Z28 Coupe : 3411lbs MT (3433AT)
    WRX STi: 3263 MT
    Trans Am: 3495

Z28 hp: appx 300whp 11.3lbs/hp
    Trans Am WS6 : 11.65lbs /hp
    STi hp: 260whp 12.55lbs hp
    You may think the Fbodys they are boats, but nothing compared to the 4679lb lightning.
    Stock for stock, LS1 wins from roll. Modded vs stock LS1, who knows? could be close. Modded LS1, rapes stock STi from roll.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

Originally posted by MidnightFLAT4
    Z28 Coupe : 3411lbs MT (3433AT)
    WRX STi: 3263 MT
    Trans Am: 3495

Z28 hp: appx 300whp 11.3lbs/hp
    Trans Am WS6 : 11.65lbs /hp
    STi hp: 260whp 12.55lbs hp
    You may think the Fbodys they are boats, but nothing compared to the 4679lb lightning.
    Stock for stock, LS1 wins from roll. Modded vs stock LS1, who knows? could be close. Modded LS1, rapes stock STi from roll.

You fail to realize you are comparing rwd with awd. They use totally different dyno's and produce much different numbers.
    It is a very known fact that awd dyno's read much lower HP/Torque numbers compared to rear wheel drive dynoes.

Heres a little tid bit about drag racing.
    My little 02 WRX, with only 225 whp (stage 2) beat plenty of 300whp LS1's at the track. All it took was my 13.3 @ 100mph to do it. And yes, I beat plenty of them with only 13.3 in the 1/4 mile.

From a roll , we all know an LS1 has an advantage over an STi. No one as ever questioned that. Stock vs Stock , and LS1 is definately a faster car from a roll. That has never been disputed, yet to continue to try to prove it. Why?

The original post was my STi (intake, full catless exhaust) running dead even with a WS6 up to 100-110mph. Which it did. And I will prove it again any day of the week.From this you have been trying to prove that a stock STi is slower than a stock WS6 from a roll?

sweet you finally get it... LS1 has better power to weight, and STi has better traction. from a roll, LS1's are better... From a stop STi's are better.

If you disagree with my numbers, and want to go with crank hp for comparison, it only gets better for the LS1, as they are over 340hp... the reason that awd dynos read lower, is because of drivetrain loss, not accuracy of the dyno. it takes energy to spin every moving part in the subaru drivetrain. while the LS1 only spins the driveshaft, and two tires thru a limited slip.

blah blah blah, different dynos they are measuring wheel horsepower, the fact of the matter is, most STi's dyno 260ish and LS1's dyno 300ish... what should we compare numbers by, seat of the pants???

Now all you have to do is race an auto with a stall, tires, and boltons, versus your modded STi, and youll see what i am talking about. LS1 owners are also frequently bitten by the mod bug.

Good run against the LS1, but dont expect to win frequently, unless its from a dead stop...
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

sweet you finally get it... LS1 has better power to weight, and STi has better traction. from a roll, LS1's are better... From a stop STi's are better.

If you disagree with my numbers, and want to go with crank hp for comparison, it only gets better for the LS1, as they are over 340hp... the reason that awd dynos read lower, is because of drivetrain loss, not accuracy of the dyno. it takes energy to spin every moving part in the subaru drivetrain. while the LS1 only spins the driveshaft, and two tires thru a limited slip.

blah blah blah, different dynos they are measuring wheel horsepower, the fact of the matter is, most STi's dyno 260ish and LS1's dyno 300ish... what should we compare numbers by, seat of the pants???

Now all you have to do is race an auto with a stall, tires, and boltons, versus your modded STi, and youll see what i am talking about. LS1 owners are also frequently bitten by the mod bug.

Good run against the LS1, but dont expect to win frequently, unless its from a dead stop...
    Please try to understand who you are trying to educate on LS1's

My former car was an LS1 z28. It was an automatic with 2.73 gears originally. I swapped out the rear end for a 3:42 gear set out of a 6 speed. I also had a Vig 3000 rpm stall.
    I also had an LS6 intake, MTi lid, mass air, stage 2 head/cam setup, full exhaust - headers, y - pipe, wide open Borla. I used Superchips custom programming to make it all work.
    This car was dynoed every inch of the way. I've also personally watched dozens of LS1's dynoed. I used to go to dyno days here locally for just LS1's. I would watch 10-15 LS1 being dynoed in one day. I also used to hang out with other LS1 owners and race almost every weekend.

Knowing this about me, I hope you don't still think you can educate me on LS1.

Ok, this weekend.... My buddy with a STi with a catback ran a '01 WS6 from a dig... The WS6 won by a quarter panel in the 1/4. Both drivers are very good. The kicker is that the WS6 had full catback, lid, predator tune, and I think headers. I argue with guys over at svtperformance all the time about this kind of stuff. A BONE STOCK SS, WS6, 03 Cobra versus a STi is a driver's race. I have heard of "hot" F-bodies going 12.8's stock. But that is CERTAINLY not the norm. As with Cobras seeing as low as 12.7's BONE STOCK. STi's have a HUGE advantage from a dig on the street. Those times posted by the RWD cars were on an obviously well prepared track. STi's can almost cut track 60ft's on the street. STOCK TIRED F-bodies and Cobras cannot claim this. Someone in a bone stock STi claiming 6 stock or slightly modded fbodies is by NO means a long shot. Cant we all just leave this topic alone?? It was dead a LONG time ago from being absolutely PUMMELED to death.

RJ
    Car for sale for 13,500 with 60k on the car an 18k on the motor/tranny(Silver Sedan with 5spd)

I second the AWD dyno thing, its not the dyno itself, guranteed. AWD just has greater drivetrain loss. 260whp is pretty good if you ask me, thats like a chipped S4 stock.
    2000 LS1 Camaro M6

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    Please try to understand who you are trying to educate on LS1's
    well i figured id educate you on the power to weight ratio.
    And i wanted to help you out with your dyno misconception... im suprised your happy with the STi after coming from a straight line animal.
    Oh well, enjoy the car...

btw I just learned today that the STi brake pads run 300bucks for the fronts from the dealer!!!! holy crap

cheers
    03 MBP WRX Sedan

im suprised your happy with the STi after coming from a straight line animal.
    Dude, quit it already .

Obviously he wanted to go another route. There's nothing wrong with that.
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

Originally posted by Shaitiger
    Dude, quit it already .

Obviously he wanted to go another route. There's nothing wrong with that.
    You got that right. This topic has been beat to death. What makes this even more rediculous for me is that I raced a guy in my neighborhood with an LS1 Z28 over the weekend. I won't even dare post the results of this race out of fear of having to defend myself for the next 2 weeks. But I am now also running Turboxs's HPBC 16psi boost. The car pulls like a freight train now in 1-3 rd gear.

Boy this was one long, pointless thread. I dont see why people are so quick to pull up stats and argue about a real-life occurance they didnt witness. Its especially senseless when the original post wasnt at all cocky, and the poster has been reputable and even previously owned the car he raced against. Oh well,

Great race, keep em comin.

my first post:

I think thats a valid race...

my tt stealth with only filter and mbc could hang with my good friend's auto 2000 ss ls1 w/ no cats no muffler and lid mods. That is up to about 110 mph (even from a roll)

He ran 13.00 on that setup.

After 110 that ls1 will come straight back at you and pass your top end power draining awd equiped car. Worse for me cuz my stealth is pretty damn heavy.

but I have a fix for all that

thanks to you guys

Originally posted by asus

thanks to you guys
    Ohh.. let me guess.... a couple of TD04-13G turbos???
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Hey sgoswx, I'm from FLA too.....You wanna play?????What part of Fl are you from? Ever go to the street races at the Tower shops? or Fudruckers?.... If you wanna play with LS1's .......theres alot of action here!
    Last edited by rayzzz57; 02-15-2004 at 12:13 AM.
    2001 Formula
    11.40@119 (N/A)
    $1,700 in mods (head&cam)
    10.90@129 MPH (NOS)
    Stock 12.94@107MPH

Originally posted by rayzzz57
    Hey sgoswx, I'm from FLA too.....You wanna play?????What part of Fl are you from? Ever go to the street races at the Tower shops? or Fudruckers?.... If you wanna play with LS1's .......theres alot of action here!

I live south of Fort Myers. I race at Imokkelee drag strip 1/8 mile. Thats my usual spot on Friday nights.

I'm also not familar with the Tower shops (Bell Tower?), etc. I don't get involved with organized street racing. I've been there and done that years ago. I used to drive a stage 2 head/cam LS1 with all the goodies.
    I've had way too many tickets and I'm way too paranoid to do orgainized street racing.

But if I happen to run into someone on the street and the street is clear. I'll go for it. But I have to be very careful.

Besides, your way out of my league. In your sig you mentioned 1700$ in mods = heads and cam. You only had $1700 in mods running a head/cam setup.
    I had about 8k in mods for my Head/cam setup- thats with all the other goodies. (engine mangament, exhaust, intake, etc, and installation.
    MTi chargers $8500 for their stage 2 head/cam setup.

I must have been ripped off. I paid 1800$ just for my Stage 2 heads. Then another 350$ for my cam.. I got them from Corvette Connection. They got them from Breathless Performance on the East Coast. Are you familiar with Keith at Corvette Connection in Fort Myers? He's builds some fast LS1's.
    He did all the work on my LS1. Those guys are pretty hard core. I believe they also do some street racing.
    Last edited by SGOSWRX; 02-15-2004 at 12:27 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.