My STi vs LS1 WS6 Ram Air - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on My STi vs LS1 WS6 Ram Air within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; nah, youd get beat earlier than 100, the STi gearing doesnt fair well from a roll, and you dont have ...

nah, youd get beat earlier than 100, the STi gearing doesnt fair well from a roll, and you dont have the torque to the wheels that they do... im sick of posting this... heres a dynograph of an LS1 with a catback. and the Z28 is under 3500lbs FYI...

And you trap 104, not 107 like a stock LS1... from a stop, sure youll take a bone stocker, probably not any LS1 with boltons though. wisper lid and exhaust, and your already losing from a roll. As for the ones with heads and cam, youll need a new turbo... and hopefully that 2.5 wont have pinging issues. I see SRT's hanging with STi's from a roll, and we all know what LS1's do to them... the neons die quickly.

I like arguing this topic, because we have NA vs Turbo, and it goes to prove there is no replacement for displacement. The STi uses a turbo and awd to try and get it done, but can still be outmuscled by a street lizard with baby mods... even the mustang guys will let you know whats up... LS1's are extremely potent. Bone stock vs bone stock sure... but we all know the LS1 mod trail is alot deeper than the wrx/STi route.
    goodluck finding more stock LS1's...

Youll be humbled soon, trust me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ls1 dyno.jpg  
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

300+wheel hp, and 320+ foot lbs at the wheels anyone?? with a catback and factory cat system...

im sure that more than makes up for the weight stats you were providing...
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

I don't know why you keep posting about modded ls1's. He said all or most of his races were against stockers. And if you're tired of posting the dynographs of a modded ls1, then don't post it.

Originally posted by MidnightFLAT4
    and your current setup isnt a 12.8 at 108 until you run 12.8 at 108
    Well seeing as he hung that long, those #'s dont look far off. Nice race SGOSWRX
    04 SVT Lightning

dude its a muffler... i dont consider a cavalier with a muffler to be modded...

and no one runs a 12.8 until they run a 12.8 and have the timeslip... thats what im getting at... Just because i beat a foxbody that ran a 14.2 doesnt mean that my car runs 13's... Sorry, the real world doesnt work that way Until my car has a 13 second timeslip, it isnt a 13 second car. And GTECH does not count. weve got some stock turbo automatics claiming low 13's timed by a GTECH.

13.0 is definetly a good run though... that will take care of alot of cars on the street.
    Last edited by MidnightFLAT4; 01-30-2004 at 07:52 AM.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan

Midnight, you're on your own in trying to BS this one... Are you trying to say it didn't happen as it was written? When basically SGO has a very solid reputation here? That's going out on a limb to question his credibility, especially when, um, he used to own an LS1 too... Let it go...

This LS1 owner has seen slow F-bodies at the track numerous times (I'm an administrator on a Midwest F-Body bulletin board) and I've beaten two in my WRX (stock 2001 z28 and my boss's 2001 SS) in races up to 100 in my WRX. Good race, SGO.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

nah its cool, i believe the story, but it doesnt look like this LS1 was in proper tune provided that they started from 30... Sure a modded STi can move, no doubt. Im not necessarily calling BS on the story. What im saying is that most people think STi's are the greatest thing on wheels, and that because they run low et's they can hang with proven beasts from a roll...

and we all know that higher traps mean more power, low 60' times = more traction. The LS1 has all the advantages from a roll, more whp, more wheel torque, better gearing, no turbo lag.

This isnt a race that most STi drivers will come out of on top. And it cant be BS if nobody won!! good run, aside from all my ranting and raving.

But one particular person was saying that they beat 6 LS1's. thats all fine and dandy, but if that were the case, theyd all have to be stock, and it would have to be from a stop, for 6 or more of these cars to go down consistently.

A little respect goes a long way, and wrx drivers should have some, because our cars have a weakness, racing from a roll... Whether you drive a base wrx or an STi.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan

Midnight, maybe you better let it go. The STi isn't some huge beast from a roll, but it's not the slouch/dog you seem to think it is. You mentioned how an LS1 or Mustang would show an STi what's what from a roll, so please do explain my consistent results in beating modded GT's from a stop or roll. I have an STi with only a removed intake silencer.

Last weekend at the 1/8 mile track, I ran 8.3. There was an LS1 Camaro SS there, modded, running in the high 10s. He has more power than me but had we lined up, I would have made him look bad. I wouldn't have even considered it a race. The only ways to explain it would be that all drivers are NOT equal and that all cars, even stockers, are NOT equal. Some are factory freaks and some are not.

I've held my tongue on these kinds of threads lately because I get flamed for showing that the LS1, in its stock form, is not this mystical car god that some people make it out to be.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

with stock GSC's on 16" wheels, and auto transmission, you may see an et as low as 13.3, and 106mph... for the 1/4 not 8th... how hard could that be to drive... hmmm wait for greenlight, punch it.

Also, muscle mustang and fast fords got a 12.86 /108mph from a 6spd z (non SS). The test conditions were cold, so that could be a reason for such a good #, but i suspect it was due to an excellent driver, both could be 12 second cars... the writeup was also found in GM hightech perf. mag, along with the mustang mag.

so yea, drivers matter...
    03 MBP WRX Sedan

but yea so... i guess ill give in.... LS1's are slow and STi's are fast.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan

Anything can happen on the street, but stock for stock it is no contest, the WS6 is simply faster. BTW that also applys for MOD to MOD.

If I got beat by an STI I would burn my car to the ground, that goes for any modded or not STI. I sure hope there are not any modded STI's in my area that can beat me Anyway it's still a nice car, and I have had to much to drink today, and look it's only 3:45pm
    2000 Mustang GT
    11.71 @ 119.5mph

Originally posted by lethrneck
    Anything can happen on the street, but stock for stock it is no contest, the WS6 is simply faster. BTW that also applys for MOD to MOD.

If I got beat by an STI I would burn my car to the ground, that goes for any modded or not STI. I sure hope there are not any modded STI's in my area that can beat me Anyway it's still a nice car, and I have had to much to drink today, and look it's only 3:45pm

Nice car. You definately have a fast GT. I don't think you have too much to worry about anytime soon. I think there's a couple
    2.5 STi's in the 11s but thats about it. We are still waiting for some good engine management. Until then we are stuck with just basic mods (exhaust, intake)

Stock vs stock (from a roll), I would agree with you that a WS6 is a faster car, especially at higher speeds.
    But I would not agree that a WS6 is a faster car in the 1/4 mile (stock vs stock). On the street, the STi is definately a faster car in a 1/4 mile race.

Check the 1/4 mile stats for LS1 WS6's for (1998-2002)
    Then check the 1/4 mile stats for a 2004 STi
    I definately wouldn't consider that a no contest. Make your own conclusions, but a stock STi can run some fast 1/4 mile times.

str
    I raced one of those Ws6's at the track with my WRX Wagon. He ran a 14.0 and I ran a 14.2. I would assume that an STI would hammer one in the 1/4 mile. I had a MBC at the time. I do not know what mods he had but he had a laptop in the passenger seat. Either he had some mods that he was messing with on the laptop or he wanted to do his taxes while he was racing. I think from a stop a STI would pull at least a few cars on one. Speaking stock for stock of course.
    2004 Black Forester XT

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    Check the 1/4 mile stats for LS1 WS6's for (1998-2002)
    Then check the 1/4 mile stats for a 2004 STi
    I definately wouldn't consider that a no contest. Make your own conclusions, but a stock STi can run some fast 1/4 mile times.
    Exactly, when it comes to stock vs. stock 1/4 mile times, the STi and LS1 are pretty close with the LS1 having a slight edge. Both are capable of low 13s but the difference in trap speed and 60ft is night and day. STi's will run low 13s at 99-103mph(best) with a 1.7 60ft and LS1s are low 13s at 105-109(best)mph with 2.1-2.2 60fts.

I believe this story because other STi's with these exact mods(intake&catless full exhaust) are running high twelves at 106-107mph. That should fare well against a stock LS1 M6 or A4. Keep up the good work SGOSWRX .
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

A 1/4 mile race between an STi and an LS1 seems like a drivers one, although I would still give the advantage to the LS1. Without a sub 2.0 60' launch, an STi is gonna have a tough time with a decently driven LS1. My best time stock was a 13.5 @ 105, and that was at the Orlando Ice Palace pulling an amazing 2.18 60' Like I said before, most people into racing understand that a 1/4 trap speed is usually a good indication of HP. That's basically all that racing from a roll is. If two cars trap similar speeds, its gonna be a close race from a roll. If they trap similar ET's, its gonna be a good race from a stop.
    Case in point:
    My first pass: 14.1 @104
    WRX: 14.1 @96?
    Stop: Good race
    Roll: Slaughter
    2000 LS1 Camaro M6

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast