Jetta18T vs WRX
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Jetta18T vs WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I had a couple of good runs with a 'rex about a week ago in orange county (specific location omitted ...

Jetta18T vs WRX

I had a couple of good runs with a 'rex about a week ago in orange county (specific location omitted as it is a great spot for racing).

Anyway, we were both stopped at a red light. I was checking out his ride and noticed the silver WRX was all tricked out with stickers galore (the largest one being Renick Subaru). The only visual performance mod I could see was an exhaust.

With all that flash I couldn't resist; when the light turned green, I launched. By about 100, I had at least 4 cars and then shut down. In defense of the WRX, I don't think he was expecting a run and didn't launch until he heard me burn 'em.

After he caught up, we got caught in some traffic so we really couldn't run again. He ended up weaving through traffic in front of me and I noticed him about to make a left turn onto another street. I decided to follow to get in one more run, this time with him better prepared.

As he made the left, he slowed to almost a crawl into the #1 lane. As I made the turn behind him attempting to go into the #2 lane, he launched giving him the launch and a one car head start. When he shifted to 2nd he pulled a few feet and then I pulled back and ended with my bumper around his rear door. It stayed the same through third until we came to a sharp right turn where we were both going way too fast. He started drifting a bit into my lane in order to make the turn and I ended up jumping on the brakes and my car got a little squirly(stock Jetta suspensions suck, whew that was scary!)

Overall a very close run. Does anyone know who owns this car and what mods he has? My mods are APR chip and Milltek exhaust.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey, welcome aboard.

What are your mods?
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Thanks. My mods are APR v2 91/93/100 chip and Milltek exhaust. I was running race gas when I ran the silver WRX.

I seriously considered buying a WRX when I bought my Jetta. My friend from work owns one and has let me drive his on occasion. Right now he just had a BOV and a body kit but he told me he plans on a turbo upgrade and exhaust as well as swapping to the 6 spd. STI tranny in the near future.

The wife wanted all the creature comforts (leather heated seats, sunroof, etc) so we ended up compromising on the Jetta. For under $1500 in mods I can't complain. I haven't taken it to the track but when running race gas, I rarely get beat on the street. On strickly 91 octane, a stock or mildly modded 'rex will usually take me by about 1 1/2 to 2 cars on the launch and then noone pulls from there. The race gas program makes a huge difference in power (30 + HP over 91).

thats pretty sweet that the audi motors can run racegas with their reflashes and chips. too bad our turbo sucks, and it doesnt matter
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

Arrgh, nary even a B.S. reply. Really I'm just trying to find out what mods this car has so I can figure out where I stand on the street racing totem pole.

The silver WRX most likely is a dealer sponsored car as it has RENICK SUBARU splashed over the front and rear doors in huge letters. As we were making the left turn I thought I saw the license plate read RALLYON but I could be wrong.

Come on now, with all those stickers, I know you must be on here. Fess up.

nice run!

Does your chip give you the ability to switch gas maps on the fly or something?
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

wow, thats a fast jetta, how come I can never run into any. I've raced several chipped/exhaust 1.8t's and never had a very good race

Originally posted by Jetta18T

we're not much of a sticker community. but i drive my g/fs 1.8T all the time. nice and quick, but mod for mod, it's no match for a WRX. doesn't sound like he had much done, (and probably wasn't much a driver either by the sound of the second run)

nice kill either way.

dR

my gti vr-6 turbo ( ste to 8 psi for every day use ) rus a 13.7 on pump gas and when i boost the full 25 psi for real raicng i run a 12.3 but anyway the wrxs allwys give me a hard time they are all so fast and most are just stock or exhaust in atke and a mbc i am buying a wagon soon though
    Last edited by j-style; 01-27-2004 at 12:10 PM.
    if its not fast it better be a show car

Re: Jetta18T vs WRX

I had a couple of good runs with a 'rex about a week ago in orange county (specific location omitted as it is a great spot for racing).

Anyway, we were both stopped at a red light. I was checking out his ride and noticed the silver WRX was all tricked out with stickers galore (the largest one being Renick Subaru). The only visual performance mod I could see was an exhaust.

With all that flash I couldn't resist; when the light turned green, I launched. By about 100, I had at least 4 cars and then shut down. In defense of the WRX, I don't think he was expecting a run and didn't launch until he heard me burn 'em.

After he caught up, we got caught in some traffic so we really couldn't run again. He ended up weaving through traffic in front of me and I noticed him about to make a left turn onto another street. I decided to follow to get in one more run, this time with him better prepared.

As he made the left, he slowed to almost a crawl into the #1 lane. As I made the turn behind him attempting to go into the #2 lane, he launched giving him the launch and a one car head start. When he shifted to 2nd he pulled a few feet and then I pulled back and ended with my bumper around his rear door. It stayed the same through third until we came to a sharp right turn where we were both going way too fast. He started drifting a bit into my lane in order to make the turn and I ended up jumping on the brakes and my car got a little squirly(stock Jetta suspensions suck, whew that was scary!)

Overall a very close run. Does anyone know who owns this car and what mods he has? My mods are APR chip and Milltek exhaust.
    He was probably pretty stock. As for the stickers, most guys on this board are pretty anti-sticker so I doubt he posts here too much.
    1967 Camaro
    2002 WRX SOLD

go and visit the renick subaru dealership and ask them who it is

http://www.renicksubaru.com/sc_flash_frame.htm

I Support ClubWRX
    A great qoute "turbo VW's dont do much but make good turbo noises"

As you can see I'm not a huge VW fan...come on even Kia has mastered the Idea of wheel stud and lug nuts...it isnt hard. I've driven a few 1.8T's and were not happy...I didnt even like a slightly modded S4. Oh well to each there own.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

i like the S4's an my friend is gettin a VR-6 Twin Turbo (not sure what size) imported from germany... what kind anumber you think he will put down with that engine in a Mark 2 GTI?
    =+- 02' Midnight Black Scooby Rex-+=

on 8 psi i was dyno at 348 whp and 402 ft pounds so probbaly alot
    if its not fast it better be a show car

seems somewhat inflated to assume its 400+ whp.. i mean.. i can easily take my friends 92' Corrado VR6 in my stock wrx.... so if that engine runnin what 16 psi between the turbos? 20psi? i mean im not trying to compete with him... but im jus ownderin what i have to do to compete with him...
    =+- 02' Midnight Black Scooby Rex-+=

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast