DOes a 330 smoke a wrx?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on DOes a 330 smoke a wrx? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ok...as far as i know...the 330 does not own the rex...however, i keep reading on all other message boards that ...

DOes a 330 smoke a wrx?

ok...as far as i know...the 330 does not own the rex...however, i keep reading on all other message boards that if the rex doesnt go from stop...it gets dominated because of "the awd drivetrain"
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=wrx%2A
    we got noobs from the freakin e46 board saying they smoked wrx's in their 330xi's...no need to flame, but these things just make me
    as far as i know...my rex houses my 323i at any speed....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

oh and im new to this board...ive been an e46 for some time now...i dont know if u guys have had this conversation before may be a repost...but all i know is the infamous "330 vs wrx" thread is like a monthly thing over at e46

excerpts from the posted thread:
    "a 330 can beat a WRX if the driver isnt BIG expierenced and doesnt know how to put his turbo into use"

"see with the wrx, in order to get the best launch they reccomend dropping the clutch at redline"

"Race them on the freeway and you will see their 35% drive train loss come into effect"
    03 wrx
    karboy ss/bushings, blitz dtt, catless, prodrive axleback

I raced a 330 Ci from a roll. From 20 to 90ish. I put several car length on him.

I also test drove a 330 with a sport package. It is a superb handling machine but it DOES NOT pull like my rex.

yea i have to give props to the bimmer- its pimp...even though it is ridiculously priced...but i dont like it when kids claim that their car is faster then the wrx...i mean explain this to me...if the wrx has a better 0-60 as well as 1/4 mile....by alot....at which point do they claim they own us rexes? even with a clutch drop why dont their 1/4 miles times make up for it...we still own them in basically the same ratio as we did in the 0-60 as quartmile...even a zhp doesnt beat the rex on paper...i dont want to get anyone mad...but theres a thread from about a year ago where some guy claims his stock 325 owns a rex

thats funny cause my bro has a 2003 330ci and i smoke his ass everytime - 330s weigh close to 4500lbs (must be all that luxury)... might be why..
    2002 WRX:sold...2004 sti:sold...1998 2.0rs:sold...2009 WRX:tuned

Originally posted by capaWRX
    thats funny cause my bro has a 2003 330ci and i smoke his ass everytime - 330s weigh close to 4500lbs (must be all that luxury)... might be why..
    the it's actually 3,300 lbs
    330ci coupe

the convertible 330ci is about 3,700lbs

330ci's shouldnt be any trouble at all.

Edit: Thank you for the correction

|
    |
    \/
    Last edited by Trailboss; 01-22-2004 at 10:07 PM.
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Originally posted by Trailboss
    330ci's should be any trouble at all.
    What (i believe) he means to say, is NOT any trouble at all.
    What you read on the Bimmer board is like someone here saying the stock wrx can smoke a new viper from a roll.... you get the idea.
    Cameron

Originally posted by crazycam31
    ...What you read on the Bimmer board is like someone here saying the stock wrx can smoke a new viper from a roll.... you get the idea.
    Cameron
    Yeah I read both of those threads on e46. They think AWD looses 35% in the drivetrain. That's why some of them think they can beat a WRX from a dig (given that the WRX drive knows how to launch and not bog).

I always believe that anything CAN happen in a street race. It's not like this is Best Motoring, where all of the drivers have equal skills. That's when you really know which machine is faster.

I Support ClubWRX
    BMW's are awesome. A stock 330 puts out 225 hp, and doesn't have the drivetrain losses, so from a roll I would think he could give quite a contest to a stock WRX.

Of course, the BMW isn't going to respond to simple mods the way the Subie will. A downpipe combined with either an MBC or a reflash would likely put the WRX way out in front...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

My car prior to the WRX was a 2001 330i (auto) which i still have. From a dig, the WRX will win, but not by more then a cars lenght. From a high way roll....It could go either way. Stock for stock it would be a drivers race. However I had Dinan Stage 1 Engine and Transmission Chip in the BMW, and beat a stock WRX from a roll by like a car. It was a roll from like 70 which is why the 3.0 Liter 6 cyl would win. BMWs rule from a roll. Its the Autobahn training. From a 50mph roll...WRX definately would pull harder. But since the memebers of E46fanatics say the smoke WRXs or whatever, they probably have quite a bit of mods and are racing stock WRXs. Oh well, our payments are lower. (I can say that since the 330 was inheritence!)

PS - A 330xi would not beat a WRX. The RWD versions have a better chance.
    WRX - It's not a rocket. It's a guided missile.

I took a 330ci from a dig in my 04 wrx wagon and I didn't even launch hard. I slipped at about 3500 I guess and I had him by a car's length.

Once we hit 80mph it was all Bimmer and he caught up and inched away...so from a roll it may be a different story.

Originally posted by RayfieldsWRX
    BMW's are awesome. A stock 330 puts out 225 hp, and doesn't have the drivetrain losses, so from a roll I would think he could give quite a contest to a stock WRX.

Of course, the BMW isn't going to respond to simple mods the way the Subie will. A downpipe combined with either an MBC or a reflash would likely put the WRX way out in front...

RWD loose about 20% in power. FWD about 15%.

From a roll, Bimmers will give you a good run...3-liter, inline 6. Plus, like others say, they were designed for the Autobahn.

Originally posted by RayfieldsWRX
    Eh. The extra thousand pounds has got to hurt.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.