STi vs. 350z..FROM A ROLL..
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on STi vs. 350z..FROM A ROLL.. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Alright guys, keep in mind that I have a *BONE STOCK* STi and my good friend has a 350z with ...

STi vs. 350z..FROM A ROLL..(1st hand experience!)

Alright guys, keep in mind that I have a *BONE STOCK* STi and my good friend has a 350z with an Injen CAI and a Fujitsubo Cat Back Exhaust....

Scenario:

We get on a long stretch of highway into two lanes. We both cruise up to 65 and I initiate the '3 honk countdown'.

The Race:

So I am in fourth gear in the STi doing 65+/-. My buddy said he was in 3rd doing 65. I pound the third honk and I immediately get a good jump and walk him 1/2 car until hes at my rear wheel. I wind out fourth to almost redline(shift buzzer set to 6750) and put in 5th. The Z walks me, and walks me pretty good while I'm in 5th. We essentially switch positions to where I'm at his rear wheel at the end of 5th and hold my position(no one is pulling on each other). So now I'm thinking to myself "Oh man he's got me now..." then I hit 6th gear. Most unexpected thing happens right when I put it in 6th...I WALK HIM BACK and I don't stop! I put him back to my rear wheel almost immediately and I KEEP pulling very steadily(SO NOW I was thinkin' "What the !@#@?! How is this happening!") and I would have probably passed him if there wasnt any slow traffic coming up...but then he probably would come back to finally pass me because his top speed is a bit higher(I think?). I decide to let off the gas around 140ish(bear with me this is just an estimate, I will come back and edit this figure as soon as I ask my buddy how fast I was going before I shut it down, I wasnt paying attention to my mph<<just glanced at the speedometer at the end>>.. I paid more attention to the road).

ahh...good times

Tell you what though, I've always known those 350z's were quick and, from racing one myself, they will spank many cars from a roll. I love my buddy's Z and he loves my STi..both great cars.

Let me repeat this again: this race was between a 350z with an Injen CAI and a Fujitsubo Cat Back exhaust and a *BONE STOCK* 2004 STi with roughly 1650 miles on the odometer.

Glad I shared this with you guys...I cant wait to strap some mods on this beast!

-Matt

PS*** as some of you may have noticed..this wasn't posted with ANY intentions of throwing more gas onto the heated "350z vs. STi" debate...RATHER my OWN FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with the 350z. Guys, please, don't get all childish about this("oh from a roll blah blah blah!") I'm sure many STis have been slain by the Z and vice versa(who cares! it's all in good fun!) I am here just sharing my experience..that's all that it should be right!?
    Last edited by STiLL WILL; 01-22-2004 at 03:29 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the ratio difference between 4th and 5th is HUGE. the difference between 5th and 6th is pretty small...

...this in combination that the 4 -> 5 shift is usually the longest (time-wise) shift would make your experience pretty accurate. 6th gear pullls on our cars....and with some better breathing mods, it just gets better
    '04 PSM STi - modded (sr50+the works)
    '05 JGM RSX Type-S - stock

PS- GOOD KILL!!
    '04 PSM STi - modded (sr50+the works)
    '05 JGM RSX Type-S - stock

Well, this is the guy who raced him... I've taken my bro's evo pretty easily from a roll, so i figured it would be close, and i was right. Damn.. all you STi'ers out tehre got some badass cars. Everything went down exactly as STiLL said, and it was funny. Every time one of us would shift, the other car would go from the back wheel to even, or pretty much jump about a half a car. I figured it was over cuz i pulled from the back to the front in 5th, then the miricle in 6th gear happened-- he had shifted probably when i was around about 6000ish in 6th, then i shifted around 6500 and once i hit 6th, he pulled hard. I probably wouldn't have made up any ground til about 160 (we cut out around 152ish). I got pwned in 6th lol. Fun run matt. Now i gotta start modding more just to keep up with that stock rally car (from a roll @ that!!!).

oh yeah-- to come out of the keyboard of a Z driver-- THE STI IS A FASTER CAR THAN THE Z ANY WAY YOU LOOK AT IT!!! From a roll, stop, top end, whatever. I'm not sure about the track, but there's no way that a stock Z is faster than an STi-- me and matt can both drive pretty well and i'm modded, and he still with me or ahead of me the whole time.

i thought the z exhaust system, particularly the catback was already very well design.....so i wonder how much of an increase you'd get w/a catback

btw, since i don't own the sti....wha's the top speed for 4th, 5th, and 6th?
    k&n, sti-hoodscoop, engine mounts, & tranny mount, blitz dtt, catless up-pipe, samco ic hose, greddy CC, cusco f/r swaybars, gutted midpipe, oil cooler, prodrive exhaust & f/r replica sti strut tower bar, gunmetal rota tarmac, goodridge ss lines, p'n'p exhaust manifold

deny the fly-by

Originally posted by Sosa
    oh yeah-- to come out of the keyboard of a Z driver-- THE STI IS A FASTER CAR THAN THE Z ANY WAY YOU LOOK AT IT!!! From a roll, stop, top end, whatever. I'm not sure about the track, but there's no way that a stock Z is faster than an STi-- me and matt can both drive pretty well and i'm modded, and he still with me or ahead of me the whole time.
    Gotta love the STi. However, your car will always look better!

Good runs. A friend of mine and I ran shortly after he had his Procharger installed. From his dyno sheet he was making 370hp and 310lb/ft to the wheels. I expected him to walk me but it was the opposite.

We started at 70 or so with me in third. By 150 (estimate, my speedo was buried) I was way out in front. I knew something was wrong. When I slowed down I looked back and his car was engulfed in blue/black smoke. We both pulled over.

Turned out he blew a good size hole in a piston. I have the video that his girlfriend took of it (the race). If anyone can host it let me know. His car is back running now and I'm sure it would be a different story this time around.
    Last edited by silverscooby; 01-22-2004 at 12:14 PM.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

good runs Sos', that was fun as hell buddy...now its time to clean the bugs plastered on the front of our cars maaan!

Glad you guys(so far) enjoyed my post.

-Matt

Sosa,
    What gains did you see from the CAI and Exhaust? How noticeable was the increase.
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

I piddled with a Red 350Z on the interstate. Had the magnetic licence plate thingamajiggy on it, so I'm guessing it was a test-drive sorta thing. I saw the car squat some, so I dipped into the throttle as well. Much to my surprise, I didn't go blowing by, rather a leisure walk-by. I OWN my friends Max(2003 6 speed with Frankencar intake and pulley) on roll-ons(after the inital insta-torque gas mash). The Z was hangin on pretty well, didn't get into the triple digits too far before the Z backed down. Test drive and all I guess. Pretty sure it was bone stock(the test drive thing again).

Anybody got a F/I kit out for that VQ engine yet?
    2003 WRB Wagon. Vishnu Stage 2(VF30). DBA 5010's/steel lines/Carbotech Bobcat pads, MRT topmount. Tein coilovers, 22/24 mm sways, ALK....I'M DONE!!!!!!

Originally posted by Trailboss
    Sosa,
    What gains did you see from the CAI and Exhaust? How noticeable was the increase.
    I installed UR Pulleys @ the same time as my intake, and got a good bump from stock above about 3500 rpms. Most people dyno about 3 to 5 for the intake, and about 5 to 8 for the pulleys, but it was noticable (on the vq, mods usually cost about $100 per wheel hp ). The Exhaust I felt a BIG bump in power-- more than the intake and pulleys, and especially above 4k.

Anybody got a F/I kit out for that VQ engine yet?

There's a greddy tt kit, a power enterprise tt, ultimate racing is working on thier tt kit, ssr engineering is working on a tt kit.

ATI has the centrifugal procharger out for it (claimed 8 engines so far), Stillen has a roots blower, and vortech has a roots blower out.

A twin turbo kit for a 3.5 liter with variable valve timing...oh-la-la.

Thats gotta be a riot.
    2003 WRB Wagon. Vishnu Stage 2(VF30). DBA 5010's/steel lines/Carbotech Bobcat pads, MRT topmount. Tein coilovers, 22/24 mm sways, ALK....I'M DONE!!!!!!

Originally posted by Sosa
    ATI has the centrifugal procharger out for it (claimed 8 engines so far)
    Whatdya know, thats the same kit that my budy Bill had on his car. Word to the wise, do not let the guys at Altered Atmosphere touch your car!
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

hah u know ravaz-- his car is gonna be a monster once he gets it back up tho

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.