Subaru WRX Forum banner

WRX vs Boxster S

5K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Schaf100 
#1 ·
Neighbor has a Boxster S - "no mods required it's a Porsche" he always says - I'm only vishnu "0"

We did a canyon run - from a dead stop I take him - it isn't even close, he doesn't try anymore.

On the freeway I can't keep up - it is really strange he accelerates like mad over 70 mph...

Once in the canyon - He lost me - his car handles way better than my wagon.

I have considered a turbo upgrade (VF 30 or 34) but I am worried about the driveability in traffic. I bought this car as my daily driver and want to drive it to work - it performs great! but the Boxster S is better (except from a light). I will probably get the STI suspension too - I have been told it's not too harsh.

#3 ·
Most ppl forgot that the WRX is not designed as a freeway monster. Most European sport cars need top end so they can run in the autobahn ( no speed limits ).

WRX is designed for the US and have to get good emmission rating LEV and good gas mileage at the same time. They managed to tune the car to run great from 0-60 and the 1/4 miles but they did not tune it for the top end.

You need to upgrade the turbo, fuel system, ECU, suspension, brakes and tires to beat anything that is fast on highway or track and be safe.

#6 ·
BlazinWRX said:
I think what he meant was that when the car is released in the US they made changes to meet the emission test.
I understand that, but his arguement is that the WRX was created to run quick to 60 and 1/4 mile here in the US, not for high end power. There are MANY cars built in the US and imported here that have both low end and high end power. Now this doesn't take away from the WRX, it is just a little underpowered in the higher MPH range. There is nothing wrong with that. EVERY car has it's strengths and weaknesses. The WRX has more strengths than weaknesses, so it is a great car overall.

#7 ·
yeap, there are always tradeoffs in terms of preformance. If you don't like how your car is you can always choose different mods to satisfy your needs. A bigger turbo will take away from your lower end and add to your high end, stiffer suspensions will allow you to take turns quicker but your ride will be less comfortable, etc. etc.

#8 ·
I have Sumitomo HTR+ tires (I think they are WAY better than the RE92's)

I have no suspension mods yet - concerned about harsh ride or like the guy with the lowered Acura down the street, when he stops his ride rocks back and forth for 20 seconds or so. I do have excessive body roll (I hate that).

I do know I'll need a RRFP and new injectors for a new turbo - what I don't know is what a good ECU is - currently using Unichip add on (not great but it's simple). Are there stand alone units that "learn" what you do or are they all programmed?

my friends Boxster is wickedly fast on the freeway - and he corners so well - almost seems unfair - can I ever corner as well as he does in my wagon?

#9 ·
2001S4 said:

I understand that, but his arguement is that the WRX was created to run quick to 60 and 1/4 mile here in the US, not for high end power. There are MANY cars built in the US and imported here that have both low end and high end power. Now this doesn't take away from the WRX, it is just a little underpowered in the higher MPH range. There is nothing wrong with that. EVERY car has it's strengths and weaknesses. The WRX has more strengths than weaknesses, so it is a great car overall.
Just look at the difference WRX Subaru make for the global market. US spec, UK spec, JDM spec base WRX. The way they designed the base US spec WRX seems like they wanted to make sure that the STI will be presented as the upper end of the WRX family. The STI will not have the short commings of the base WRX. It is a different animal and is armed and ready to do battle.

Like the Lancer OZ special it is a slow dog, but then they bring over the EVO VII or VIII and ask for a lot more money and ppl will pay it.

This is marketing at work.

#11 ·
WRXrumble said:

Just look at the difference WRX Subaru make for the global market. US spec, UK spec, JDM spec base WRX. The way they designed the base US spec WRX seems like they wanted to make sure that the STI will be presented as the upper end of the WRX family. The STI will not have the short commings of the base WRX. It is a different animal and is armed and ready to do battle.

Like the Lancer OZ special it is a slow dog, but then they bring over the EVO VII or VIII and ask for a lot more money and ppl will pay it.

This is marketing at work.
Once again, I don't agree with this arguement. Most cars that are exported from over sees to come here are detuned due to the US's strict emissions laws. As far as comparing the WRX and STI to a Lancer OZ and an EVO, that is once again way off. Afterall, the Impreza has been here for years. That is more comparable to the Lancer OZ. I do agree that we in the US get cars that are slightly less powerful, but it is not a marketing scheme. It is simply the stricter laws of our government.

#12 · (Edited)
As far as the US spec Lancer is concerned, I personally think it was marketed so that Mitsubishi could get a bit of the compact market share from Honda in the Civic line. Its bad that they named it after our cars rival, but the fact that they did gets it more prestige in buying it as it has the name Lancer. Im sure some will disagree with me but I think that it was a combanation of using a well known name to compete in sales and timing(Name it Lancer now and get sales then release the better model or ONLY model). Marketing at its best. It sux that our emisson laws are as stringent as they are(4 cats damn!!) but the European model gets 10hp less than ours from the factory. 10 hp is still better. As far as the STI is concerned I do think that SOA knew there was a market for the WRX(Our begging helped :) ) so they banged out the first model fast to be first in this market. I think they did what they could with emissions now, so that they could sit on their butts and have plenty of time to think about the things needed to get the car that is going to be the real seller past US spec emission laws, and CARB(damn them they ruin it for all of us ), The STI.:D

#13 ·
You have to be kiding about comparing the Lancer OZ Rally Edition to a WRX. There is a massive difference between the OZ and the EVO 7. The OZ is merely a re-bodied Mirage sedan, with front wheel drive. The EVO 7 is a completely different vehicle that shares only body-word with the OZ. The WRX and the STI on the other hand are far closer, and that is why you can almost upgrade a WRX with a bunch of STI parts to make it practically identical. I'd like to see somebody take a Lancer OZ Rally and turn it into an EVO 7. It is essential, to ALWAYS compare apples to apples.

BTW, you wanna compare an OZ Rally to a Rex:

http://www.mitsucars.com/lancer/competitive_models.html

#14 ·
As far as the US spec Lancer is concerned, I personally think it was marketed so that Mitsubishi could get a bit of the compact market share from Honda in the Civic line. Its bad that they named it after our cars rival, but the fact that they did gets it more prestige in buying it as it has the name Lancer
I wasnt comparing the base Lancer to the WRX, However the EVO is the rival and not the base model Lancer. But it still bares the name Lancer even if we associate it with the EVO ONLY.

#15 ·
2001S4 said:

Once again, I don't agree with this arguement. Most cars that are exported from over sees to come here are detuned due to the US's strict emissions laws. As far as comparing the WRX and STI to a Lancer OZ and an EVO, that is once again way off. Afterall, the Impreza has been here for years. That is more comparable to the Lancer OZ. I do agree that we in the US get cars that are slightly less powerful, but it is not a marketing scheme. It is simply the stricter laws of our government.
Yes I agree that the WRX and the OZ special are not in the same catalogory. I am not comparing the two cars, I am saying the marketing schemes are simular.

They now have the name WRX and LANCER established in the US market. How many people other then the real hardcore car guys knows what WRC, EVO and STI is all about 2 years ago ?

Since the S4 is a gonner, you can go out and buy a Audi RS6 if you could, which is a really fast car. How many ppl in the US knows what is a S4, don't even try to ask them what is a RS6 ? I bet you most people know what a M3, M5 are. That is marketing and product image.

#16 ·
WRXrumble said:

Yes I agree that the WRX and the OZ special are not in the same catalogory. I am not comparing the two cars, I am saying the marketing schemes are simular.

They now have the name WRX and LANCER established in the US market. How many people other then the real hardcore car guys knows what WRC, EVO and STI is all about 2 years ago ?

Since the S4 is a gonner, you can go out and buy a Audi RS6 if you could, which is a really fast car. How many ppl in the US knows what is a S4, don't even try to ask them what is a RS6 ? I bet you most people know what a M3, M5 are. That is marketing and product image.
You're right, the S4 is the best kept secret, no one know's what it is :rolleyes:

#17 ·
2001S4 said:

You're right, the S4 is the best kept secret, no one know's what it is :rolleyes:
So true, I also noticed S4 driver seems to be more in touch with their cars :D Some M3 driver have not idea what they are driving, just by looking at the way they drive the car, like a grannie. Not like they (M3 owners) should all go ballistics but 65 and blocking traffic flow comm'on.

If you happened to own a S4, enjoy it. It is a shame that such a nice car have been discontinued :( Btw the 2003 A4 looks pretty good. I like the new shape.

#18 ·
Don't worry, the S4 hasn't been discontinued. It is just on hiatus. It will be back most likely as a 2004 model and it will be faster than ever. The only thing left to be determined is which engine it will have. There are plenty of speculations. It will most likely be a V8, whether normally aspirated or not is the question.

#19 ·
I am not worrying. If it ever comes back it will be still high priced. Since I put in 30,000+ miles a year that will make it pretty insane to have a 40-50K car and basically worthless in 3 years time. I was so happy when the WRX came out with such performance and relatively low price :D

Of cause for those ppl that is 5 mins from work then it will be a different story.

#20 ·
My dealer says it's no secret - the new S4 will be a twin turbo 6 cylinder - making around 300 hp stock. He will even take a deposit because they haven't determined how many will ship yet. It will not be in the USA until the 2004 model year. He says all this info is on the web...I haven't looked. He is taking deposits on a $50K car BTW.

#22 ·
sordid said:
My dealer says it's no secret - the new S4 will be a twin turbo 6 cylinder - making around 300 hp stock. He will even take a deposit because they haven't determined how many will ship yet. It will not be in the USA until the 2004 model year. He says all this info is on the web...I haven't looked. He is taking deposits on a $50K car BTW.
Not sure that's right actually...

I have read in many places that the 2003/4 S4 will actually have a 300HP variant of the NA 4.2L V8. I wish it were a 300hp TT V6 though, lighter and with the same horsepower.

I can't honestly believe that the engine will only make 300hp though. A V8 making less horsepower than BMW M3's I-6 (333), will not be competitive enough. Hopefully, Audi will realize this and do a little tweaking on their V8.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.