I saw a new GTO on the road! - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on I saw a new GTO on the road! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by FrankW Idiots from GM at work thinking they can pass a 4-5 years old Monaro from down ...

Originally posted by FrankW
    Idiots from GM at work thinking they can pass a 4-5 years old Monaro from down under as a the NEW GTO. Perhaps they will bring us the four door version and say it's the next generation Impala. The car itself is not bad, but please! at least come up with something that's brand new instead of just rebadging a existing car. It's like rebadging the Tahoe to Escalade and sell it twice as much as what it's really worth.
    Much more to the point, but that's what I was saying on page 1.
    For you GM enthuiasts or nostalgic oldsters... is it really a GTO?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Hmm, I might qualify as a nostalgic oldster..
    (at least, within the demographic of this forum)

No, of course it's not a GTO in the sense of the old '60's vintage car. That GTO was a raw, straightline performance car with little in the way of luxury. The new car seems to be much more biased towards comfort and a nice interior. They're targeting the people who had GTO's when they were young, and want to recapture the power, but with the pampering that they've grown accustomed to.

Sound reasonable?
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

This is a picture of a Holden Monaro, straight from the Holden website.

they do look kinda similar, don't they?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_redhot.jpg  

And a new Civic is no longer a tiny sardine can either... And BMW no longer makes an Isetta... Chrysler is bringing back the Hemi, but not using it in performance cars, and using it in trucks instead. Cars and companies evolve. GM used their Australian counterparts to bring the car to the USA and gave it a historic name that was instantly recognizable. They'll sell way more of them by calling it a GTO as opposed to if they had called it a Monero. If Nissan decided to bring over a Skyline, and they called it a Z instead due to marketing reasons, would it really make a difference to anyone? I'm sure the GTO will be more profitable and have a longer life than Ford's Thunderbird, too...

Oh, and El Burrito Loco: You've injested too much hot sauce or something... "Get an M5 or a 540i for a good V8??? ... They are comparable in price???"

2004 545i: 325 hp and 330 ft/lbs. $55,000 +
    2004 GTO: 350 hp and 365 ft/lbs. $33,000 +

2003 M5: 394 hp and 368 ft/lbs. $75,000+
    *2003 Z06: 405 hp and 400 ft/lbs. $55,000+

*Note, the GTO has the same engine as the Z06, with the exception of better heads and a more aggressive cam. All of which can easily be installed on the GTO. Heck, my Stage II heads ($1500), cam ($250), and headers ($1000) put my LS1 at 406 rwhp (454 flywheel hp factoring 12% drivetrain loss) and 386 ft/lbs (432 ft/lbs flywheel).

Of course the BMW's are much more refined, and worth every penny, and one of the best overall vehicles on the planet. But in terms of V-8 performance, I don't see how you perceive the LS1/LS6 powerplant to not be impressive, or why you feel the BMW's V-8's are somehow better when they make about 10% less power and/or torque in stock form. Heck, the naturally aspirated LS1 even holds up well compared to the supercharged Ford SVT powerplants.

But, if you like to ignore factual information, and rely on anti-GM bias to taint your viewpoints, then I can't really argue about your right to your opinion.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Originally posted by Dan00Hawk
    . GM used their Australian counterparts to bring the car to the USA and gave it a historic name that was instantly recognizable. They'll sell way more of them by calling it a GTO as opposed to if they had called it a Monero. If Nissan decided to bring over a Skyline, and they called it a Z instead due to marketing reasons, would it really make a difference to anyone? I'm sure the GTO will be more profitable and have a longer life than Ford's Thunderbird, too...
    Good point, but they should have changed the styling so that it evokes images of the past. The new T-bird and 2005 Mustang are examples. What I expected for the GTO was a restyled modern day muscle car with lines reminiscent of its heritage, not a rebadged Holden Monaro

thats a nice...

thats a nice cavalier! lol...
    nah its not bad...

except they stole it from australia

under powered stock for so much motor

GM used their Australian counterparts to bring the car to the USA and gave it a historic name that was instantly recognizable. They'll sell way more of them by calling it a GTO as opposed to if they had called it a Monero. If Nissan decided to bring over a Skyline, and they called it a Z instead due to marketing reasons, would it really make a difference to anyone? I'm sure the GTO will be more profitable and have a longer life than Ford's Thunderbird, too...
    Mmm...actually NISSAN did brought the SKYLINE over. It's called Infiniti G35

and I see early death for the new GTO like the T-Bird and the Cougar. Nothing good ever happens when they try to bring back a classic that's been discontinued for awhile.

I think what GM needs to do is to bring the Holden brand into the states as the sports division or bring Opel into the states.
    Last edited by FrankW; 01-21-2004 at 06:36 PM.
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

I personally like the looks of the GTO.....obviously b/c I drive a Grand Prix. The GTO is what the new GP should have been....a RWD car with a 6-speed.
    2004 Grand Prix CompG
    Fully loaded w/Appreance Package.
    Wizaired CAI

hang on ... do you guys have more than 300kws for alot of your stock GM's???.. thats awesome... for us the GTO is up there and probably has the highest output of any of our cars stock... keep in mind that a BMW M5 only puts out 294kws (or something like that)... so its still a quick car....

the GTO will beat a stock wrx MY04 down here.... though in the wet, it'd struggle to beat a camry... (traction)....

personally... i think the car looks ok... the Monaro that is... the way pontiac have added all those plastic bits and pieces cheapens it a little IMO.... anyways... just my 2c

The only GM car here with 300KWS is the Z06, 300KWS is 405HP. The GTO here has 260KWS. The GM vehicles here are kinda watered down compaired to the Aussie cars. I mean the GTO there has 285KWS or 380HP....

If ONLY the GTO here had 380HP!!! Imagine how much better the performance numbers would be!
    Stock or something close to it.....

Oh, and El Burrito Loco: You've injested too much hot sauce or something... "Get an M5 or a 540i for a good V8??? ... They are comparable in price???"

2004 545i: 325 hp and 330 ft/lbs. $55,000 +
    2004 GTO: 350 hp and 365 ft/lbs. $33,000 +

2003 M5: 394 hp and 368 ft/lbs. $75,000+
    *2003 Z06: 405 hp and 400 ft/lbs. $55,000+
    El Burrito Loco = OWN3D
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

ok then its the gts here that has the 300Kws... checkit at HSV.com.au

i think you have a car called the PT spyder which i really like....
    plus you guys have Evo's!!!!!... we're still waiting to get them....

incidentally we don't get the 2.5 sti here either... we get a 2 STI with 195 kws (i think) it just has diff pistons and a bigger turbo than the stock wrx...

the MY03 here (your equivalent of a MY04) has 168kws... reputedly... but they are finding that it actually has closer to 180kws stock... looks like subaru understated the power on this one....

Im confused, while the styling isnt the greatest, and some people here dont like the looks...
    We drive Subaru's, they arent exactly majestic themselves.
    Dont get me wrong i love my soob, but it isnt an audi.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

dont believe that 14 second 1/4 mile for 1 bit.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

top gear tickles the "aussie GTO", Holden Monaro, to see if it laughs or giggles...

im a giggler personally.....

http://www.racingflix.com/getvideo.asp?v=620

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast