I saw a new GTO on the road! - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on I saw a new GTO on the road! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; One of my f-body friends just picked his six speed up late last week. It's already at Speed Inc getting ...

GTO owner video

One of my f-body friends just picked his six speed up late last week. It's already at Speed Inc getting some "improvements" performed. When all is said and done, it'll be a 427...

Who says it can't spin the tires??? Stock for now and catching him in the act of "not NOT doing burnouts in it" :

http://www.ls1gto.com/movies/cmnt.wmv

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Re: GTO owner video

Originally posted by Dan00Hawk
    http://www.ls1gto.com/movies/cmnt.wmv
    Hmmm. I'm no expert, but I'd say that that car can indeed do a burnout.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I haven't seen one in person, but I think that it looks pretty good in pictures.

I'm sure that General Motors wanted to avoid the more "over the top" styling of the F body cars. When you think about it, the GTO has alot of similarities to the F bodies: similar engine, 2 door, small back seat, etc. I think that they are trying to sell the car to a slightly upscale market which is why the styling is more conservative. It will be interesting to see if they ultimately give it the hood scoop that the GTO faithful is asking for.
    2002 WRX WRB

I Support ClubWRX
    This is the concept I've seen that tries to go back to the more traditional GTO look...
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 12-15-2005 at 06:55 PM.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

The looks on that car are terrible. I mean, it's not really ugly, it's just that you would think that when they are realeasing a car with performance numbers like that Pontiac would have made the looks a bit more distinctive from their Grand Am's!!!

It still amazes me when someone that drives a WRX calls another car ugly (I just criticized the wheels). It seems that many (myself included until I realized it) almost have another standard to judge American cars. You take the Pontiac logo off, and say slap on a Nissan or Toyota logo, I would think that people would be less critical. Maybe their brand image has suffered too much. The GTO looks a lot better than a Grand Am. Look at other Mfr's. Most of their cars tend to follow a similar theme within each company with improvement as you move up the line.

Maybe the problem is the GTO name. I guess most people, myself included, were expecting something a little more dramatic of a design. Too bad most people don't know about Holden, otherwise they could have just kept the original name, and perhaps developed a more radical GTO design.

At least people are talking about cars though. Very happy with the industry trends as of late.
    2002 WRX

Still Stock

I hate the look of the GTO. Such a great engine for such a borring car. Its definately a sleeper though.
    Why does Pontiac have to make all their cars look the same? Is it a Grand Am, Or is it a Grand Prix, or is it a GTO?

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by spoggly
    It still amazes me when someone that drives a WRX calls another car ugly (I just criticized the wheels).
    At least the WRX can't be called bland. I think you'll find that most here that are saying "ugly" are really saying "boring". A Toyota Camry has a Japanese name on it, but I still think it's pretty darned dull!
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Yeah, it could definately be called bland. To me it looks like a nice sharp sleeper car.

At least there is no black plastic body armor.
    2002 WRX

Still Stock

Japan makes some of the most crime-against-nature ugly cars out there.

The Honda Element, Regular lancer, Baja, RX - 8 (Just kidding ).

I like the goat a lot.
    skidpad kid: you're the BOMB
    Shard of me: i know

Joshiscookin: Hey fragment.

wrx is not a "great" looking car youre right
    but i got my '04 for around 22k... and i can pretty much match those performance numbers for 10k less... and it looks better.
    Also, we have good traction in the snow.

for looks, german is the way to go... nissan is fugly too.

When looking at that car, all you could really want is a huge engine, and blazing speed.... but it doesn't deliver either... and it looks like a friggin grand-am

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by burrito007
    but i got my '04 for around 22k... and i can pretty much match those performance numbers for 10k less... and it looks better.
    Err, stock for stock, I'm pretty sure the GTO will take your '04. Plus the LS1 engine takes to mods at least as well as a WRX does!
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Originally posted by burrito007
    wrx is not a "great" looking car youre right
    Also, we have good traction in the snow.

for looks, german is the way to go... nissan is fugly too.

When looking at that car, all you could really want is a huge engine, and blazing speed.... but it doesn't deliver either... and it looks like a friggin grand-am
    There are, what, about 4 cars for $33,000 or less that have a trap speed in the 102-107 mph range? The engine is a 5.7 liter motor, currently the biggest V-8 available in a regular production passenger car readily available in the US.

And you guys know what? The new BMW 3 series looks like the 5 series, which looks like the 7 series, with the 6 series also sharing common themes. Boy, what the hell was BMW thinking???? So it shares some lines with a Grand Prix. Hell, at least it doesn't look like an Aztec!

Yes, it's a subdued style. It's not aimed at Fast and Furious wannabes, but rather individuals who make good money who want some luxury along with their power, and a little bit of nostalgia. I think it'll do way better than the Thunderbird or Prowler or Marauder, for example.

-------------------
    I don't know what the world may need, but a V-8 engine's a good start for me...

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Originally posted by Dan00Hawk
    The new BMW 3 series looks like the 5 series, which looks like the 7 series, with the 6 series also sharing common themes.
    which is hot. If youre buying a car for looks.
    If you're buying a car for speed, get an '04 cobra, not the gto. Want a good v8? get a 540 or an m5.

In terms of looks, i think the new camaro coming out is infinitely better looking than the gto. Gto looks like a grand-prix, which looks like a grand-am which looks like a saturn...

yes the car will sell well, as a matter of fact, the car just turned a friend of mine away from a cobra. He thinks the interior is more "luxurious" and it comes in "lots of colors" also, his parents (who are buying the car for his graduation) fell into the whole nostalgia crap.... but they're the people who called our cars "jap crap"

end of story... if you want fast... buy a FAST car... if you want luxurious... buy a bmw... both kinds of cars are in the pricerange.

-burrito

Idiots from GM at work thinking they can pass a 4-5 years old Monaro from down under as a the NEW GTO. Perhaps they will bring us the four door version and say it's the next generation Impala. The car itself is not bad, but please! at least come up with something that's brand new instead of just rebadging a existing car. It's like rebadging the Tahoe to Escalade and sell it twice as much as what it's really worth.
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast