Be aware of people trying to hustle...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Be aware of people trying to hustle... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Wow, I am really heated. Here's the story: I went to a very large meet tonight. A lot of SRT-4's, ...

Be aware of people trying to hustle...

Wow, I am really heated. Here's the story:

I went to a very large meet tonight. A lot of SRT-4's, VW's, BMW's, a few bikes etc. A young guy comes over to me and my friends and says he wants to race for $100.00 Now, he says if he races my Rex he wants 3 cars in front of me plus his slicks.

So he pulls up his Civic Si running stock exhaust....yet the core on his FMIC is freaking huge especially for a Civic. I think it was almost as big as the Perrin FMIC. Also, he claims he was not spraying Nitrous, yet he didn't want to let me see under his hood.
    Finally he says, "All I have is a B16 turboed. The best I've run is a 13.9"

Now...the last time I saw a B16 Turbo Civic it was at the drag strip running low 12's allllll day.

Was this guy trying to hustle or is there a "crappy" B16 out there or something?

(btw, please no flames about street racing for money, we never raced. The only reason I kept talking to him is because we wanted to make sure he didn't try to hustle anyone else at the meet.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I didn't even know they had betting races in LA. Where is this place where we can all race at located exactly?
    Drifting away...

This meet was in Anaheim. Basically it's just a normal car meet and sometimes any random person will start talking to you and next thing you know you'll be settin up a race.

I am not condoning you race for $, but if you do be verrry careful. You might run into the same type a$$ I ran into last night.

Re: Be aware of people trying to hustle...

Originally posted by XtianLA
    Wow, I am really heated. Here's the story:

I went to a very large meet tonight. A lot of SRT-4's, VW's, BMW's, a few bikes etc. A young guy comes over to me and my friends and says he wants to race for $100.00 Now, he says if he races my Rex he wants 3 cars in front of me plus his slicks.

So he pulls up his Civic Si running stock exhaust....yet the core on his FMIC is freaking huge especially for a Civic. I think it was almost as big as the Perrin FMIC. Also, he claims he was not spraying Nitrous, yet he didn't want to let me see under his hood.
    Finally he says, "All I have is a B16 turboed. The best I've run is a 13.9"

Now...the last time I saw a B16 Turbo Civic it was at the drag strip running low 12's allllll day.

Was this guy trying to hustle or is there a "crappy" B16 out there or something?

(btw, please no flames about street racing for money, we never raced. The only reason I kept talking to him is because we wanted to make sure he didn't try to hustle anyone else at the meet.)
    he was trying to hustle you. first off, would you offer to race someone for a hundered dollars unless you were confindent in a win?
    also, if he didnt allow you under the hood, theres a 99% chance he had a swap or n02. if he was running a turbo, with that large of an intercooler and wanting to race a wrx as moddified as yours, he must have had a swap or built up b16. more than likely he had pistons, rods, cams, cam gears... etc.... either way, it was smart not to race, because then if he beat you (which was probably likely) you would have complained about him lying about his mods, and it would have turned into an scene i am sure.

rule of thumb: if you cant see whats under his hood, or you dont know what it is, dont race for $$. there are people that make a living out of this. theres a few guys around me, one with a civic hatch, only ext. mods are low profile body kit, rims, and drop. FMIC is painted black and he runs low-mid 12's on street tires at only 7psi and he is capable of upto 16, just cant hook up. another guy has a kia sephia that is built up. dont know exactly what he has, but it runs mid 13's

Re: Re: Be aware of people trying to hustle...

Originally posted by DTR maxima
    he was trying to hustle you. first off, would you offer to race someone for a hundered dollars unless you were confindent in a win?
    also, if he didnt allow you under the hood, theres a 99% chance he had a swap or n02. if he was running a turbo, with that large of an intercooler and wanting to race a wrx as moddified as yours, he must have had a swap or built up b16. more than likely he had pistons, rods, cams, cam gears... etc.... either way, it was smart not to race, because then if he beat you (which was probably likely) you would have complained about him lying about his mods, and it would have turned into an scene i am sure.

rule of thumb: if you cant see whats under his hood, or you dont know what it is, dont race for $$. there are people that make a living out of this. theres a few guys around me, one with a civic hatch, only ext. mods are low profile body kit, rims, and drop. FMIC is painted black and he runs low-mid 12's on street tires at only 7psi and he is capable of upto 16, just cant hook up. another guy has a kia sephia that is built up. dont know exactly what he has, but it runs mid 13's
    ]

HAHAHA. Yeah. So here's the REALLLLY FUNNY PART.

I happened to be with some friends. 1 is a 6'3 Mexican guy, the other is about 6'2 black guy (football player), and another black homie about the same size. All prolly scaling about 200lbs.

So I tell them, this guys trying to hustle. My homie AJ goes over to him and tells him, "Ima tell you right now, if you tryin to hustle us, I will server your a$$ up."

That's a typical Saturday night around here. There are several places within an hour driving that are big street racing spots.

Around here there is a gentleman's agreement to always pop the hood or trunk for the other guy to see. That doesnt mean you can't hide things though. For example, my buddy Kelly has a 5 pound bottle of nitrous hiding in his dash where the glove box used to be on his Trans-Am. When you pop his hood and trunk there is nothing to be seen.

Like DTR said....rule of thumb, if they wont let you see under their hood, dont race them.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    hah this thread cracks me up, cause where I'm from, NO ONE pops their hoods, there are certainly no civics to be feared, and everyone who is racing for big money is driving low 11sec cars at the slowest. Crap, I had a supercharged GT and I didnt even bother to try to race these guys!!
    2003 SRT-4

WRX
    bah, take it to the track. Giving someone a 3 car lead while not letting them look under your hood is just showing how much of a ******* you are. If you were at the track, then all of that stupid (I'm going to run w/slicks and a head start) crap goes out the window. (I'm talking about the other guy, not you)
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

its not that easy "taking to the track" most around me, purposely choose lanes at random to prevent staged races. Also it cost atleast 10 bucks to get in, and you maybe get 2 runs if your lucky, plus there are huge burnout puddles in front of the each lane, and its hard to drive around sometimes.

I go to meets around here (Baltimore), but never ever race. Besides the fact that it's dangerous and not worth getting arested for, EVERYONE hustles. Some guy in a silver civic hatch with a huge-front mount wanted me to give him 4 cars and slicks for $100. I just laughed and told him to find somebody else gullible enough to lose their money to him. It's fun to watch these things go down, but don't get involved, you'll regret it....

All the people with fast civics that I know... They are primer grey with stock exhausts... Cut outs are your friend.

Originally posted by Schaf100
    Some guy in a silver civic hatch with a huge-front mount wanted me to give him 4 cars and slicks for $100.

That's a ripoff! 4 cars and slicks are worth more than that!

Originally posted by StoplightWarrior
    everyone who is racing for big money is driving low 11sec cars at the slowest.
    Thats how philly used to be, then 'the movie' came out and ruined everything. A whole bunch of deuchbag ricers started showing up and dying, literally, then the cops started cracking down.

My friend went to school in Houston, hes got an 11sec camaro and apparently thats nothing down there. I wanna take a trip just to see two 8 second cars run on the street.
    I created my avatar.

Yeah, it killed the night. I am glad I sent him on his way though. I guess I was the smart one in my group of friends for that night.

Originally posted by XtianLA
    This meet was in Anaheim. Basically it's just a normal car meet and sometimes any random person will start talking to you and next thing you know you'll be settin up a race.

I am not condoning you race for $, but if you do be verrry careful. You might run into the same type a$$ I ran into last night.
    You can't help but wonder why he was so eager to race. There's something he knows that you don't.
    03 wrx
    karboy ss/bushings, blitz dtt, catless, prodrive axleback

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.