how SHOULD a WRX do against an SL500?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on how SHOULD a WRX do against an SL500? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; yes yes.. i know... completely different classes and everything. but i'm wondering... in a straight line... how should the 2 ...

Poe

how SHOULD a WRX do against an SL500?

yes yes.. i know... completely different classes and everything. but i'm wondering... in a straight line... how should the 2 compare? anybody ever had any experience?

here's what happened to me...

friend has an SL500... we decided to go at it... but quit around 60... cuz we're not stupid. i got myself a pretty good launch... we were even for a split second... and he immediately started to pull on me... fast. by the end of 1st, my front bumper was at his rear... and by the end of 2nd there was about a car between us. that's where we stopped.

according to magazine times and all... the wrx is supposed to be faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile. is this completely driver error? my launch was pretty decent... 3500 rpm slip. yet i was never ahead.

oh btw... i had a passenger in the car... he didn't. could that make a huge difference? if we kept going... would i catch up and pull away? thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is your car automatic or 5spd?

Re: how SHOULD a WRX do against an SL500?

sl500's are fast, but with a good launch you should have beaten him to 60. Try slipping at 5000 instead. I've heard from a few people that a good estimate is that for every 100lbs eliminated (sprung weight), you take a tenth off the 1/4, but of course, that's just a rough estimate.
    2006 Porsche Cayman S

I killed a SL500 till about 60 mph. Did a nice launch and hooked up perfectly while his car's traction control was stumbling over itself trying to put all that power to the ground Course, it would have been all over after that. He was a cool guy on top of it - Gave props to my car

Poe
    my car is a manual.

what do you guys think went wrong? was it the passenger in the car? or was it a bad launch? is my wrx abnormally slow? hehehe... i thought it was a pretty decent launch... i dunno what could've happened.

I Support ClubWRX
    So you revved to 3500, but did just keep the throttle at that or were you gradually adding more as you were letting out the clutch. It's possible that you bogged as you let out the clutch.

I revved to 4000-5000 rpms and let out the clutch quickly and smoothly (read not dropped). With the RE92s, I spun all 4 for a second or so - they're good for launching - not too much traction like the Falken Azenis RS tires I have now.
    If he would have hooked up properly, he would have easily walked me in 2nd.

I hung with one on the Fl turnpike until about 110 then it just started walking away. We had just passed what looked like the foot chase finish to a high speed chase. There were cops all getting out of their cars and a helicopter hovering out over the swamp. I gues we both figured at the same time that all the cops were busy so the freeway was wide open. When I say I was hanging with him I mean he was very slowly pulling away. We weere even at the start (65 or so) and by 110 he was a carlength ahead after that he just kept going and I was hitting an aerodynamic wall. But all the way up to 110 I could see him looking over wondering what the hell I was driving. Even though the race was way over I kept going til I hit 130. On this particular stretch of the turnpike it is perfectly flat and straight and you can easily see 2 miles up the road. I figured since there was no traffic this would be a good oppurtunity to see how fast a WRX can go.

Don't ya just hate it when you ask a question and everybody relates their own stories? heheh

of course by now you know the sl500 aren't slackers, matching fairly closely with the wrx in 1/4 mile and 0-60 times.

honestly i dunno what happened, if you say you got a good launch. just one of those days, and you can't win em all. just practice more.

---RaCinWRX

Poe
    Originally posted by RaCinWRX
    Don't ya just hate it when you ask a question and everybody relates their own stories? heheh

of course by now you know the sl500 aren't slackers, matching fairly closely with the wrx in 1/4 mile and 0-60 times.

honestly i dunno what happened, if you say you got a good launch. just one of those days, and you can't win em all. just practice more.

---RaCinWRX
    yeah i guess... just one of those days. i need to practice my launch.. and my shifting. if you guys all agree that i can take that SL off the line... then i'll work at it til i beat him. thanks for the advice everybody!

Originally posted by Poe
    my car is a manual.

what do you guys think went wrong? was it the passenger in the car? or was it a bad launch? is my wrx abnormally slow? hehehe... i thought it was a pretty decent launch... i dunno what could've happened.
    Wow you ot a passenger then you are looking at over 100 pounds of extra weight. When they do the test, they usually have no passenger and not a full tank of fuel

Just learn to launch, then race with no passenger and remove the 200 pounds amps / sub woofer if you got one
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

V8 308hp or v12 389hp.. pick your slaughter.
    From a dead stop, you have a chance. But don't even try anything above a 30mph roll.

I guess by now any seasoned owner or those who read this forum already know unless you got a mod fast rex, don't race a high HP car from a roll.
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

Don't know about SL500, but raced an SL600 from about 40 - 100+ when we let off for an upcoming corner. I put him about 2 car lengths back in the first few seconds, then he pretty much hung with me until we stopped. My car is a stock 5 speed.

Originally posted by rracer-x
    Don't know about SL500, but raced an SL600 from about 40 - 100+ when we let off for an upcoming corner. I put him about 2 car lengths back in the first few seconds, then he pretty much hung with me until we stopped. My car is a stock 5 speed.
    He was just playing with you... v12 power and 362hp. Not to mention they trap the quarter at 101 mph (car-stats.com) While WRx is at mid 90s at best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast