Me versus my bosses Vette - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Me versus my bosses Vette within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Thanks guys. In the grand scheme of things my car is not all that fast. All I need to do ...

Thanks guys. In the grand scheme of things my car is not all that fast. All I need to do is take a ride in some of my friends cars to remind me of that!
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That's what keeps us moddin'
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by silverscooby
    Thanks guys. In the grand scheme of things my car is not all that fast. All I need to do is take a ride in some of my friends cars to remind me of that!
    My puny brain's not big enough to worry about grand schemes. I just stick to WRX schemes. In the WRX scheme of things your car is kickin'!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

That was no contest! I see your dyno. You probably have 50 whp on the guy and 100 lbs. less weight. I've heard of some newer vettes not even getting 300 whp on the dyno. Next time, go pick on someone your own size buddy!
    Mark
    02 WRX Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by mark5211
    I've heard of some newer vettes not even getting 300 whp on the dyno.
    Really? To listen to some of our onboard LS1 gurus, you would think that all LS1's are massively underrated, and that even the LS1 camaros make over 300 whp stock.

I don't know, either way. I'm just fascinated with the potential of those motors!
    Maybe someday I'll get one for a toy...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Originally posted by RayfieldsWRX
    Really? To listen to some of our onboard LS1 gurus, you would think that all LS1's are massively underrated, and that even the LS1 camaros make over 300 whp stock.

I don't know, either way. I'm just fascinated with the potential of those motors!
    Maybe someday I'll get one for a toy...
    I've seen only a handful of stock automatic cars dyno below 300, but that is definitely the exception. 6 speed cars will always dyno higher than the automatic. My old 98 Formula (automatic) with a few bolt ons and torque converter dynoed 278 rwhp, but was kicking out 12.6 at 107 mph timeslips... A loose converter can distort the HP #'s a bit... Also, a C5's independent rear end has more parasitic loss than the live rear axle on an F-body. So it's not uncommon for an F-body to put up similar or better #'s than a Vette on the dyno. The lighter Vette, however, makes it up after the starting line and on the street.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

I'm no LS1 Guru, but I can tell Midnight doesn't know his Y bodies either

Random tech converter? You realize Y bodies have dual exhaust...so that would be 2 cats....why? get rid of em both

Edelbrock headers? ick Not for the C5. Get some full stainless jobbers from TPIS or something

Z06 intake manifold!? He said it was an '04. ALL Ls1s now have the same intake manifold as the Z.

What you (probably) meant was to change the intake (and the Z's 4" MAF) to the Z06 part.

By "Cylinder Heads", I assume you mean a good port/polish...I'll agree there, but you are going to have to have a cam to make use of that airflow.

16" wheels won't fit over the brakes on a C5 either....I've seen some custom 16.5's....that the closest to 16 you can get with stock brakes I think.

OK, I'm done

VV

Originally posted by MidnightFLAT4
    Tell him u want to go from a stop, if u win, u get a raise or promotion.
    Youll take away a little more of his idea he can hang. 3 cars back isnt bad at all for him... Thats cause the vettes puttin down 300 wheel horse. Impressive from the factory.

Just hope he isnt thinking about purchasing heads. Play time would be over. LS1's are so ballsy.

If i were him, this is what my vette would have
    Random technology catalytic converter
    Edelbrock headers
    Bassani exhaust
    z06 intake manifold
    Torque converter 3200 stall
    Cylinder heads
    Big big michilen pilots (street) / slicks on 16" wheels (drag)

and a timeslip with low low 12 seconds, and 119mph traps

I love big motors

silverscooby what does your car run in the 1/4 mile

Originally posted by slowpok
    silverscooby what does your car run in the 1/4 mile
    His best time I believe was a 12.3 on low boost?

Hes broken 1st gear like 3 times.

Twice! I broke third once though. All three times on high boost.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

Originally posted by Dan00Hawk
    Also, a C5's independent rear end has more parasitic loss than the live rear axle on an F-body. So it's not uncommon for an F-body to put up similar or better #'s than a Vette on the dyno. The lighter Vette, however, makes it up after the starting line and on the street.
    About the parasitic loss, thats wrong... the independant design doesnt sap power. Vettes are actually making more power by the use of a transaxle rather than a driveshaft and ring and pinion gears... in fact they make MORE power because of their driveline efficiency
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

Thanks for correcting me. I've routinely seen it explained on message boards that the independent rear lost more than the live axle when C5's would dyno lower than an F-body, especially when the F-bods were rated at 305 hp and the C5's at 345 (back in 98). This typically resulted in pissed off C5 owners...

One would expect that if the F-body with the lower flywheel horsepower was dynoing at the wheels the same, or more than, the C5 with the higher rated horsepower, that there would be more driveline loss in the C5 to explain the discrepancy. Or just GM underrating the F-bodies for marketing reasons. Can't have the pony outrun the horse, right?

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

yea im thinking that it isnt the driveline... The LS1's in the Fbody are highly underrated. ive seen as low as 287whp up to 310 bone stock... thats alot of power for a crank rated 305....
    SURE.... But this is also why the LS1 rocked the Cobra' s world ever since 98. But none of those C5 vettes would dyno 335 or 345hp at the wheels. Nothing really sets the motors apart, only the LS6 is truly different. You of course know all this...

I wish some people around here would get real and understand how powerful these cars are. They are NOT to be screwed with by remotely stock subaru. maybe out of the hole with an STi... but youd be lucky.

every car manufacture has a car that i love and not only do i love them, but i have tons of respect for a few of them. and they dont have to be imports.

Have a good one
    Last edited by MidnightFLAT4; 01-22-2004 at 01:02 PM.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

Isnt it beautiful how heads on an LS1 render similar benefits as a nitrous setup... gotta love the displacement
    03 MBP WRX Sedan

Chasing faster cars and trying to hold your own is always entertaining, though. I've had fun losing to Supras, Vipers, and 911 Turbos while in the Hawk, for example. And I've also run a few C5's with my WRX, just for the thrill of it, despite seeing them catch back up and pass me somewhere north of 80 mph. I'm 1-0 against my boss's Camaro SS in a short sprint up to about 70 mph, and it was quite an eye opener for him about the WRX's capability.

I LOVE the concept of a modified car that is faster than anyone expects it to be. So whether it's modifying a WRX, LS1, SRT-4, or Cobra, we all have pretty much the same mindset and goal about enhancing performance. Knowing your competition is important, which is why I find it fun to share information here with others. Even those that don't really want to accept it...

Cheers!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.