Viper vs. My lil wagon - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Viper vs. My lil wagon within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by NSXForEver Nice cars. I'd like to try a Viper someday. I've never driven one. Do you drive ...

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by NSXForEver
    Nice cars. I'd like to try a Viper someday. I've never driven one.

Do you drive the Viper often? I typically only drive my WRX in rain and snow.

Guess I need to take a picture of my 3 'X's.

Matt
    i got my chance to drive a viper once when i did skip barber at laguna seca. i took it around the autox and my gosh that car is mad fast!! i just left it in second gear and it pulls even when the revs are down low at 2k ( a huge diff compared to the wrx, which doesnt get any real pwr till around 4k or so)

vipers: amazing....simply, amazing.
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

penguin

Yes they are. And to think they have a 6 speed gearbox in em. so ya had at least 4 more to go. I remmeber the first time I drove it . Coming out of my folks developement with my bro sitting next to me I hit the accelerator from a dead stop and fish-tailed the rear. I about made a mess in my drawers. Soon ya get accostomed to it and your able to handle more and more.
    Just think the new 2003 has 500 ft lbs torque and 500 HP. OMG. talk about suicide. Some people think they are expensive but when you compare them to others in their category they are a bargain. As is the WRX
    Hope ya enjoyed your ride

I like Vipers too, I just couldn't afford one right now, so I'm still jealous . A car that has no roof (not even a soft top), is hard to compare to a real car, it's like comparing a motorcycle to a car! My car will mainly be a track day / autocross beast (I'm planning on putting under 2500 miles per year on it).

Here's the website--the car is surprisingly affordable, around $30K (although they are swamped with orders). The Ultralite S2K:

www.wcmultralite.com

It's a Lotus Seven replica made in Texas. The engine and transmission is from an S2000 (9K rpms in an open top car with a side exhaust and no sound deadening ), while the rear differential is from a WRX (the parts are low mileage used). The frame is all hand built, steel with stressed aluminum panels and a fiberglass body. The roll bar is an integral part of the frame.

The closest car you can compare it to is the Caterham R500 (1012 lbs, 230hp), which has the world record for an "unmodified" car at the Nurburgring, beating out the Porsche 911 GT2 by a second. There are certainly faster cars than those two, just none that have run an official time on the course. That car can take turns at around 1.2g, stop from 60-0 in 95 feet without ABS, and run 0-60 in 3.4 seconds on normal street tires. The Ultralite should have similar specs. There's no replacement for a really low curb weight! According to an article I read, the R500 could take turns at the ring 15-20mph faster than the 911GT2, and brake much later, but the 911 would make up time in the high speed straights due to wind resistance. Supposedly it was amazing to compare the difference between how the two cars took the same corner: the 911 would squeal its tires in a mad powerslide, while the 500R would just bite down on the tarmac with virtually no wheelspin or body roll. Here's a link to a 500R running the ring:

http://www.motorcycle-dk.com/en/mult...Vid=74&catId=2

It doesn't even look like he's going that fast because there is no drama at any of the corners, yet he's passing people (including other cars that "look" like race cars) like they're not even moving.

With that low curb weight, it actually has an equal torque to weight ratio as the Viper, and the S2000 has a very flat torque curve. In other words, step on the gas at any point in the 9K RPM range and it will have the same feel as in a Viper, even with only 153 ft lbs of torque! It should run in the 11s, but this is not a straight line car.

The fastest such car (stock) in the world is the Tiger Racing Z100WR (available only in the UK), it has two 1200cc motorcycle engines independently driving the front and rear wheels (AWD), and did 0-60 in 2.80 seconds and ran a 9.8x on radial street tires .

I love these cars!

--Jason

So, was the Prowler based on the Lotus Super 7? They sure do look a lot alike. If the Prowler had any sort of power, I'd be interested in it. Well, assuming I had extra cash laying around....
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    well actually, karts have the best pwr to wt ratio, but i guess u cant really legally drive those on the street
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.