LOST to an srt-4(does the wrx stock turbo suck?)
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on LOST to an srt-4(does the wrx stock turbo suck?) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well it went down like this. My friend and I have this other friend that has an srt-4. He has ...

LOST to an srt-4(does the wrx stock turbo suck?)

Well it went down like this. My friend and I have this other friend that has an srt-4. He has a boost controller. I'm not shure what boost he was running. My friends wrx has a hks downpipe, upipe, a scoobysport muffler cat-back, and a boost controller and a stage 2 turboxs unichip. But the problem is that he's running 18+ pounds of boost becuase his upipe isn't programmed into the unichip, and the boost controller is ****ed up it's a crappy one. But he raced the srt-4 anyway.
    Now of course I thought that his wrx would blow him away because my wrx is stock and he blew me away, it has awesome power, not shure what it is to the wheels but it felt fast and awesome. So being friends with the srt-4 we did 3 races, the first one he wanted to start out in second, for what reason i don't know, but the wrx rpm's weren't up enough and the srt-4 just took off, but the race was right. So we go from a stop, and of course the wrx blew him out of the water. Just because the srt-4 sat the spinning, so not fare for him. SO then we did a first gear roll the wrx started high rpm's this time, then we went we stayed ahead of him until 4th gear and I looked over and he took off.
    I'm like what the ****, this wrx has all this stuff done to it and all that srt-4 has is a boost controller. Then the wrx turbo really sucks. I need some input on this bad! I'm pissed but have an apprecition for those srt-4's.
    Also what's an upgrade turbo for a wrx and do u have to do anything else to the car like upgrade intercooler, fuelpump, etc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Uhm.. he should really fix that boost controller... 18+ pounds on the stock turbo probably isnt wise.

Depending on what turbo you get, you usually need to upgrade the injectors/fuelpump/intercooler. You can get away with the stock intercooler, but most people upgrade it. A pretty popular upgrade is the VF34, STI injectors, and Walbro fuel pump.

The srt-4 is a quick car from a roll. Its fast in a straight line...

I wouldnt be pissed about losing to one, especially if its not from a stop. Also, the 4th gear of the wrx is its weakest... but at that point you are already going about 90.

The point is... you will lose to an SRT-4 if you are going in a straight line from a roll after 90 miles per hour. I don't know how often that situation comes up with you and your friends, but it doesnt happen very often to me.

Rob
    Last edited by dosage0; 01-11-2004 at 03:57 PM.
    2004 Silver WRX.
    TurboXS TBE with Prodrive Muffler - Godspeed Uppipe - UTEC - TUNA W/B - Steel Grey Rota Downshifts - VF35 - Pinks

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    well, 2 things...first, it sounds like your buddy's WRX is kinda piecemeal, just thrown together with mods....its probably not running to its maximum potential with the parts...Second, WRX's are definitely not impressive at speed. The faster you go, the more the AWD robbing HP hurts you. The Neon is light, and gets a good portion of its bhp to the wheels. I dont see why more people here dont realize this: If you have a WRX, you race from STOPS!! That is where your car shines! You dont see Supra's begging to race from stops...the smart ones do high speed races where they know they are at an advantage! 0-80 should be where you all dominate on the streets.
    2003 SRT-4

Originally posted by Blizwinter
    My friends wrx has a hks downpipe, upipe, a scoobysport muffler cat-back, and a boost controller and a stage 2 turboxs unichip. But the problem is that he's running 18+ pounds of boost becuase his upipe isn't programmed into the unichip, and the boost controller is ****ed up it's a crappy one. But he raced the srt-4 anyway.
    You can't run 18psi on the stock turbo with a stocker intercooler and make any more power than at 17psi. I recommend a better boost controller (MBC or EBC), then either a VF34 or a TMIC. Also, running a FMIC with the stock turbo is a waste of money.

After running the VF34 for a while, he'll be ready for bigger injectors and a fuel pump to put him in the 12s.

If there is any doubt what a VF series turbo on stock fueling can do, right-click, save as:
    Platinum vs. drizze99 (WMV 5.06MB)
    or Platinum vs. drizze99 (MPG 8.29MB)

-Jim

Originally posted by StoplightWarrior
    You dont see Supra's begging to race from stops...the smart ones do high speed races where they know they are at an advantage! 0-80 should be where you all dominate on the streets.

hahahaha my friend with a wrx (dp, bov, sti intercooler, catback) tried to race a supra from a stop just for kicks. The supra gave him a good head start and just blew by him like he was going in reverse

yeah, I don't think some supras would mind at all from a stop. It's just a matter of time before they catch up.
    03 wrx
    karboy ss/bushings, blitz dtt, catless, prodrive axleback

stock supras arent that fast, if u can find one

Originally posted by batmanalan
    Can't they pull off low 13's?
    I am 14 and my name is David.

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Originally posted by batmanalan
    13.6@105 for a stock car is fast to me..and definitely fast to most WRX owners
    2003 SRT-4

Re: LOST to an srt-4(does the wrx stock turbo suck?)

Originally posted by Blizwinter
    Well it went down like this. My friend and I have this other friend that has an srt-4. He has a boost controller. I'm not shure what boost he was running. My friends wrx has a hks downpipe, upipe, a scoobysport muffler cat-back, and a boost controller and a stage 2 turboxs unichip. But the problem is that he's running 18+ pounds of boost becuase his upipe isn't programmed into the unichip, and the boost controller is ****ed up it's a crappy one. But he raced the srt-4 anyway.
    Now of course I thought that his wrx would blow him away because my wrx is stock and he blew me away, it has awesome power, not shure what it is to the wheels but it felt fast and awesome. So being friends with the srt-4 we did 3 races, the first one he wanted to start out in second, for what reason i don't know, but the wrx rpm's weren't up enough and the srt-4 just took off, but the race was right. So we go from a stop, and of course the wrx blew him out of the water. Just because the srt-4 sat the spinning, so not fare for him. SO then we did a first gear roll the wrx started high rpm's this time, then we went we stayed ahead of him until 4th gear and I looked over and he took off.
    I'm like what the ****, this wrx has all this stuff done to it and all that srt-4 has is a boost controller. Then the wrx turbo really sucks. I need some input on this bad! I'm pissed but have an apprecition for those srt-4's.
    Also what's an upgrade turbo for a wrx and do u have to do anything else to the car like upgrade intercooler, fuelpump, etc.

the funny thing is that the srt has the pretty much the same turbo as we do....
    03 wrx built 205 fpred...423whp 93oct 556whp c16
    04 sti white with gold rims. now with the fp3586r turbo...anyone wanna play? 750whp either way it's fast!!!

13.6 to 14.0 quarter depending on whou listen to

WRX
    bah, racing from a roll is like m@sturbating. It can be fun, but it's not the real thing.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

Originally posted by WRX
    bah, racing from a roll is like m@sturbating. It can be fun, but it's not the real thing.
    True, but it is the better comparison of which *car* is faster, though not which *driver* is better.
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 Black
    221 whp/ 241 wtrq *Stock*
    13.585 @ 102.88 *Stage 1*

"Nothing gives you such a sense of the infinite as stupidity"

Re: Re: LOST to an srt-4(does the wrx stock turbo suck?)

Originally posted by evokilla
    the funny thing is that the srt has the pretty much the same turbo as we do....
    The turbo on the SRT is a 16G housing while the WRX has a 13G housing. I wish my WRX had a 16G turbo on it, that would be sweet!
    '02 Silver WRX
    - PDX Tuned Stage 2.5 w/ APS FMIC, ACT Street clutch & flywheel

But they do both have TD04 turbos correct?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast