Stage 2 WRX vs. EVO
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stage 2 WRX vs. EVO within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; On my way to work last Saturday at 5:45 AM (yes going to work on a Sat at 5:45 AM ...

Stage 2 WRX vs. EVO

On my way to work last Saturday at 5:45 AM (yes going to work on a Sat at 5:45 AM sucks) I was cruising on the interstate with the cruise set at about 74 eating a sandwhich for breakfast. Traffic was very light this time of the morning. I was in the right lane of a 2 lane highway and saw that I was approaching an EVO who was sitting in the left lane going about 70. I went by him and he immediately accelerated to my speed. I was eating my sandwhich so I just waved my sandwhich and stayed at my speed. He backed off and I went in front of him to go around some other cars. By this time we were at a tunnel where you can't change lanes and I had caught up to a slow truck in the left lane (and finished my breakfast). As soon as we got out of the tunnel, the truck moved over and I was in 3rd ready to go at about 60. I hit it and the EVO stayed with me. I moved right and slowed back down to about 65 in 3rd gear. He came up alongside and we had clear road and we were ready to go. I hit it first but he was right with me. I immediately pulled about 3 car lengths and maintained that through 3rd and about redline in 4th before I shut down with my exit coming up. Turned out he was taking the same exit and actually passed me and went into the exit very quickly. The EVO hung in there and I couldn't stay with him on the ramp with my stock tires. He took a different split so we didn't get another run. I was pretty happy with that performance from my Cobb Stage 2. It is an otherwise stock 04 with a gutted stock up pipe and a Bosal downpipe. Stock from the 3rd cat back. I think my quicker boost response won the race and I'm sure he was stock. He looked pretty surprised

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What parts are in Cobb stage 2?

to many stages Vinshu,Cobb,TXS,etc,etc....

By stage 2, I just mean an Access ECU reflash to stage 2 specs. I'm extremely happy with the Access ECU. Very smooth, no problems, and great power. My only parts are the gutted uppipe and Bosal downpipe. I'll be deleting the last cat and doing a full turbo back when I have the time.

technically a Cobb stage II setup includes the stage 2 engine management (15.8psi), and downpipe of your choice. Most people have installed an uppipe, but it isnt required by cobb.

A healthy setup should render 210-225 wheel horse. Note that I said healthy, restrictive exhaust may hold up a few horsepower. An evo makes close to 240 wheel hp in optimum conditions.

All accessport owners will have to do is install a downpipe (300 bucks), and pull up the stage 2 map, cancel a CEL, and your rollin with 50 more wheel horse.

And this is why i cant wait for accessport.

Once EVO owners get an AFC and a boost controller, it wont be fun to play with them anymore
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Originally posted by samdog
    By stage 2, I just mean an Access ECU reflash to stage 2 specs. I'm extremely happy with the Access ECU. Very smooth, no problems, and great power. My only parts are the gutted uppipe and Bosal downpipe. I'll be deleting the last cat and doing a full turbo back when I have the time.
    yea Ive been wondering about these reflash programs...is daily driveablity or reliability too affected? Other than the increase in power/response, are there any ill effects?

good kill, btw!
    2003 SRT-4

Stoplight, the Cobb software seems to be the safest of all reflashes... with over 1000 of stage 1 and 2 running on the streets, only a few are bad egg.. Those few most likely tried running a MBC in conjunction with the software.

Cobb software is very generic, and isnt suited to one particular car. The software which adds fuel along with boost, still has room for power increase, but squeezing evem more power out may jeopardize the reliability of the car. Personally I'd feel safer running a VF34 turbo on cobb software, than trusting myself with UTEC and the stock turbo.

Cobb software also preserves the cold-start function, and self learning. When accessport arrives, you can select maps for any pump gas. 87 octane for roadtrips, 93 for rippin around, or 91 if you live in california. While it may not be the best software performance wise, it definetly is the best in terms of driveability, and simplicity.

Since there are no AWD dyno's around, and i value reliability, Cobb is a very wise choice.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

Originally posted by MidnightFLAT4
    Once EVO owners get an AFC and a boost controller, it wont be fun to play with them anymore
    Funny you should say that.

Last night a raced an evo with those mods and exhaust.

He put such a hurting on me

<-- TXS stage 2 minus UTEC + uppipe.
    skidpad kid: you're the BOMB
    Shard of me: i know

Joshiscookin: Hey fragment.

yup thats what happens when a mid 12 second car, lines up with ya. Either im gonna get a big turbo, or im gonna buy a used 1gen DSM to mess around with. t3/t4kit plus the beater = 6 grand.
    Last edited by MidnightFLAT4; 01-11-2004 at 11:18 AM.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Stoplight, the Cobb software seems to be the safest of all reflashes... with over 1000 of stage 1 and 2 running on the streets, only a few are bad egg.. Those few most likely tried running a MBC in conjunction with the software.

Cobb software is very generic, and isnt suited to one particular car. The software which adds fuel along with boost, still has room for power increase, but squeezing evem more power out may jeopardize the reliability of the car. Personally I'd feel safer running a VF34 turbo on cobb software, than trusting myself with UTEC and the stock turbo.

Cobb software also preserves the cold-start function, and self learning. When accessport arrives, you can select maps for any pump gas. 87 octane for roadtrips, 93 for rippin around, or 91 if you live in california. While it may not be the best software performance wise, it definetly is the best in terms of driveability, and simplicity.

Since there are no AWD dyno's around, and i value reliability, Cobb is a very wise choice.
    cool thanks! I live about 10 min away from Vishnu, but I think he's a bit overpriced...
    2003 SRT-4

North New Jersey, School at Susquehanna University in Pennsylvania (Rt 287, Rt 78, Rt 22, Rt 80)
    I had fun with an evo =) Took him from a stop and held pretty much through 4th gear.

I dont know what stage i am?
    Downpipe, catback, mbc
    -My name is Tom not Jack

Check profile for mods

"I wanted to put a bullet between the eyes of every panda that wouldn't screw to save its species" Fight Club

ME KILL WRX 4 FuN

technically a Cobb stage II setup includes the stage 2 engine management (15.8psi), and downpipe of your choice. Most people have installed an uppipe, but it isnt required by cobb.

A healthy setup should render 210-225 wheel horse. Note that I said healthy, restrictive exhaust may hold up a few horsepower. An evo makes close to 240 wheel hp in optimum conditions.

All accessport owners will have to do is install a downpipe (300 bucks), and pull up the stage 2 map, cancel a CEL, and your rollin with 50 more wheel horse.

And this is why i cant wait for accessport.

YOU are right my freind. I almost bought a Wrx but I waited. Now I have an Evo, I would leave my wife if she told me to get rid of it. I love toying with you guys with wrx's. I let you get about 5 to 8 cars and I hit the gas and another one bites the dust. SELL YOUR CARS AND GET AN EVO. Oh by the way I murdered an STI last Night. The car had mods also. Oh well. If you happen to be on the road and you see an Evo, dont think about it just get off at the nearest exit and call it a day.
    Long Live King Evo.

Aren't you late for elementary school?

I Support ClubWRX
    I LOVE my Cobb Stage 2. I'm also thinking seriously about the VF34 reflash that Cobb offers; if it's as rock steady as stage 2, I'd be delighted.

To answer the question about Cobb's reflashes and daily drivability; if anything, it's more drivable than stock. They eliminate the funky surging in the powerband that some WRX's have.

If you happen to be on the road and you see an Evo, dont think about it just get off at the nearest exit and call it a day.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Re: ME KILL WRX 4 FuN

Originally posted by WRX KILA
    YOU are right my freind. I almost bought a Wrx but I waited. Now I have an Evo, I would leave my wife if she told me to get rid of it. I love toying with you guys with wrx's. I let you get about 5 to 8 cars and I hit the gas and another one bites the dust. SELL YOUR CARS AND GET AN EVO. Oh by the way I murdered an STI last Night. The car had mods also. Oh well. If you happen to be on the road and you see an Evo, dont think about it just get off at the nearest exit and call it a day.
    I totally agree. I hate my car so much. If only it was evo fast...

Why god must my life suck!?...
    skidpad kid: you're the BOMB
    Shard of me: i know

Joshiscookin: Hey fragment.

Re: ME KILL WRX 4 FuN

Originally posted by WRX KILA
    Wow, you are giving the EVO a bad name, have a little more respect for your car. I think most people here give a lot of respect to the EVO because we all like the car too. Their is no reason to bash the WRX, they are like brothers not enemies, come on now. Anyways, unless you are modified I don't see how you could beat a modded STI (or in your words "murdere an STI"), maybe he wasnt racing. And even with a Stock WRX, if you give them 5-8 car lengths I don't see you catching up until you are well over 120 mph, and thats just crazy on public roads. But then again I don't know what modifications you have done to your car, maybe you have a larger turbo and engine management, if you do thats great, but no reason to go bashing the WRX and STI.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast